Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:22 pm 

hello !

I hope some of you will dig this, as controversial as it may sound, I believe that Frank would (& maybe does in spirit :mrgreen: )
this voice-controlled harmonized (and/or reversed & sometimes arpeggiated) canon system
could be seen as inspired by Frank's "Resolver" concept & a continuation of it :

"For the sounds that don't resemble any other instruments, we have a whole classification of noises: one being the Evolver, where a sound starts off to be one type of an instrument, and by the time the note is finished, it's been turned into maybe two or three other instruments, all with a smooth transition. Then we have Resolvers, where different types of resynthesized vocal or instrumental timbres are located on each of the four partials, and by depressing a single key on the keyboard, you get a four-note chord that is actually four independent melody lines that resolve against each other to a final payoff. Then if you depress the key at the end of the payoff, you get a bonus of another bent. So you can have little melismas, little eight-note melodies, that occur, and all you do is push the key down, and it sings some kind of Renaissance cadence or whatever. Two of the partials could be resynthesized voices, one could be a resynthesized violin, and the other a resynthesized bassoon. Instant Renaissance ensemble when you hit each key. So you imagine what happens when you play a chord [laughs] -- it gets very absurd. It enables you to write things that you couldn't deal with under any other circumstance."

— Frank Zappa, The Sin In Synclavier, Guitar Player Magazine, June 1986.

This is a 100% live recording, I don't press any "play" button here,
the ("virtual") band only plays responses to the notes (the score) that I hum in its general direction
(through my audio-to-midi conversion microphone booth/oxygen mask) in real time :smoke:

now please don't be mean if you don't dig it,
& please note that this isn't supposed to be a solo act,
I designed this system as a way to generate improvisation-friendly modal/rhythmic space-times
that musicians & poets can meet in, interact with & collectively explore (see my channel for examples of that),
if you listen carefully, you'lll hear that the music coming out of this system actually begs for fellow improvisers to interact with,
I hope you'll enjoy :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0llXMZ ... tG&index=1

Peace¹²,

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:48 pm 

Very good.
I hope the O2 mask is for music production and not for some unpronouncible disease.
TT

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 am 

Thank you for your feedback ! :mrgreen:

& yes, the reason for the mask is purely technical, not medical nor theatrical :)

Peace¹² (to you & your loved ones & their's etc ...), Deuce :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 am 

taotekid wrote:
& yes, the reason for the mask is purely technical, not medical nor theatrical

I figured it was to keep out the dandelion fluff. (Or is your studio next to a chicken-flicking station?)

Nice music, congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 am 

hehe :mrgreen:

thank you very much, Sir :)

you are reminding me that I should credit that dandelion fluff footage, I keep forgetting, I'm going to do it now,
here's what it is :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LBltePDZw

Peace¹² (to you & your loved ones & their's etc ...), Shrewnews :mrgreen: