The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:46 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:53 am 

I saw McCoy Tyner play this weekend. :) He looks pretty frail nowadays, still plays great though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:41 am 

Check out this killer version of Afro Blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olOYynQ- ... h=coltrane

Wish I was old enough to have seen the Coltrane quartet in concert, that must have been really something. I did see McCoy Tyner a couple of times though, and Elvin Jones and Pharoah Sanders once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 am 

Me thinks I'll go buy a Coltrane album today.

I've heard A Love Supreme, what else should I get? I was thinking of getting 'Ole'. Any other reccomendations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:05 pm 

"Ole" is excellent, but there's tons and tons of good Coltrane stuff out there. I guess my other favorites are "My Favorite Things", "Live at Birdland", "Crescent", "Africa/Brass sessions", "The John Coltrane Quartet plays Chim Chim Cheree...", "Coltrane" (on Impulse! records, not the Prestige one under the same title), "Impressions".. hmm, the list goes on. Basically, pick up anything that has McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones and is on either Atlantic or Impulse records. The later group with Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane is hard to get into. I dig that stuff, but it's not for everyone.

I don't want to sound sappy, but together with FZ and the Beatles, John Coltrane is one of my main musical inspirators. His music really resonates with me like few other musics can and his life story is an inspiration to any 'restless' musician striving to improve their playing, learn more about music, and play with total conviction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:47 pm 

I saw Wynton Marsallis and the LJO perform A Love Supreme full Blown, and I was blown away... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
Me thinks I'll go buy a Coltrane album today.

I've heard A Love Supreme, what else should I get? I was thinking of getting 'Ole'. Any other reccomendations...

The Africa Brass Sessions volume with Underground Railroad. WOW! 8)

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:28 pm 

Jelly wrote:
i listen to this album WEEKLY!!!!!!!!

show's about
To begin...

www.hyperfunkalicious.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:48 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I saw Wynton Marsallis and the LJO perform A Love Supreme full Blown, and I was blown away... :wink:

I saw WM play in 1987, from about 10th row. I was impressed how he tried to tell the crowd that more people need to pay close attention to Monk, which was true, imo. He got alot of credit as a young up-and-comer. I enjoyed his energy and performing skills. He was primed to lead jazz into the future. He hasn't, not that I saddle him with that responsibility. But he did have the capability and imo, I think he believes that he HAS lead jazz into the future.
These days, I despise him as a person and can barely stand to listen to him play the horn. I know full well how round his tone is and how researched his compositions are and how carefully arranged his music is... it still sounds like shit. It seems to be the sound of someone who believes that the sum of perfect parts equals perfect results, which imo, is dumb. WM composes music that sounds composed, meaning that it does not sound organic. Cold music is ok by me, but his talk doesn't match his output. His "natural" sounding parts come off as austere, his complex parts sound boring, his "inspired" parts invoke a poorly written history book performed by a sleepy Foley artist.
As much as Wynton talks (boy does he talk, blablabla) about musical passion and feeling, I have a hard time even believing he is from Louisiana. He has a bit of an accent, but the passion I hear in so many musicians from that area is absolutely not to be found in Wynton's music. There are spots in the music where passion is supposed to be located, but such things cannot simply be decided into existence. WM may have been brought up by musicians, played music his whole life, was well educated with plenty of experience, but, imo, that hasn't added up into emotional or even beautiful results. The word I think that best describes his music is...... plain.
I can't totally write him off because he does have talent and has played great stuff in the past. But I have little hope since he seems to have grown into someone that I don't respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:25 pm 

Wynton Marsalis..has always sounded off to me. Isn't he that very traditional guy? The one who hated Free Jazz and Fusion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:46 am 

WM is very much a traditionalist, he came up in the 80s as a spearhead of the 'young lions' movement, young guys playing more traditional acoustic jazz instead of fusion or free jazz.

On one hand he has done a lot to promote the history of jazz music and to educate people (he was the host of Ken Burns' "Jazz" tv series), on the other hand he's very dismissive of any non-traditional sounding jazz. To be fair, he's hardly the only one putting down jazzrock or avant-garde jazz in more conservative jazz circles, but personally I don't think it's in good taste to dismiss serious efforts by other musicians in public, or to rewrite history and pretend the freejazz and fusion movements never happened or were inconsequential.

I've got to hand it to him, he's a great technician on the trumpet and he did record some very good stuff (check out an lp called 'Black Codes From The Underground', that's a good one) and also some not-so-good stuff. Still, I wouldn't really rank him amongst my favorites, because to me, he rarely really plays with total abandon or takes musical risks like the best jazzers do. Too safe, too controlled, I don't know...

Still, I don't doubt a live performance of "Love Supreme" would kick ass hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 am 

thought it was a 'trane memorial...well,
winton came to mexico to give couple of concerts and
a "magistral clinic" (never understand the "clinic" thing,
it's just not prepared teaching for wich they charge a lot of money for, and clinics are same as hospitals isn't it? well...)
the clinic sucks and he acted like if he was whiter than a white person,
in his dressing his talking and his ridiculous learned pseudo-aristocratic
atittudes, the man is boring, besides what took me to hear
jazz was hearing the fusion LPs my uncle gave me, i discover
bebop after hearing bitches brew and looking for more about miles,
so winton is a virtuous that sucks, and it just show how vistuosism
doesn't mean good, but in his case it's snobism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:25 am 

Studebaker wrote:
Still, I don't doubt a live performance of "Love Supreme" would kick ass hard.

The thing about it was his Big Band - The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra! Man, I think i've only listened to school or small local big bands until then. This was something I can't quite express in words.

Man I was first row, dead center (and didn't have to pay extra for this - I think I've posted it here somewhere, begining of february 2005). The guy stared me in the eyes while soloing. Actually, the whole program was very good.

His band was full of young players who simply kicked ass... The sound of the chords made by the brass was awsome, a single experience really!

I wonder what was like to sit in a gig for the 88 band during sofa or black napkins, that must be a unbeatable experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:44 am 

don't doubt it, but problem is he's so schoolastic,
trying to create a generation of bop players who denied
the fusion era and he had been acused of monopolising
the lincon center for his own projects and benefit,
like if he was god, i shake his hand in the finearts concert palace
in mexico after his "clinic" and he was such a moron, he acted like if he was a prince with his stupid suit (like a pretencious new rich) and his totally snob way of talking and moving, he should use the thing michael jackson used to clear his skin, he just sucked...the pope ass :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:44 am 

If you want a good live performance of A Love Supreme by someone other than Trane, try this:

As for Trane recommendations, you've already been given great advice.

And I'm glad to hear the above comments about Wynton Marsalis. His music, to me, has almost always been cold, aloof, and has no soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:30 pm 

in cinematographic black and white

Ole:
love this one, it's like you hear it and you know where it all came from,
from herbie hancock to chick corea, i mean, (and kill me if you want) does miles was trying to be coltrane? fuck i really like it, the band:
george lane-flute
freddie hubbard-trumpet
mccoy tyner-piano
reggie workman-bass
art davis-bass
elvin jones-drums

Trane for lovers:
ballads collection with (...)
naima should be on this collection or compilation...whatever, well,
trane set the standard for ballads, enjoy it if yo can:
duke ellington, mccoy tyner-piano
aaron bell, jimmy garrison, reggie workman-bass
roy haynes, elvin jones, sam woodyard-drums
johnny hartman-vocal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:56 am 

googly moogly wrote:
george lane-flute

This is actually Eric Dolphy using an alias because of his recording contract.

I'm listening to 'Crescent' at the moment, another really great one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:09 am 

one of the only bootlegs in my collection

mr. p.c. [11:00] | my favorite things [18:41] | the red planet [10:39]

radio broadcast, birdland, nyc, feb-09-62

ozone lp 10; coltrane/dolphy/tyner/garrison/jones

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:12 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
googly moogly wrote:
george lane-flute

This is actually Eric Dolphy using an alias because of his recording contract.

I'm listening to 'Crescent' at the moment, another really great one. :)

So, I guess that, in the end, this should be the Eric Dolphy Memorial Thread :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 pm 

mr. day from this album is my fav coltrane track of all time

. . . . . . .Image

the riff he plays from about 3:13 blows my mind, don't know why; same with the start of the 2nd solo section at 5:32, and another lick at about 6:02

another coltrane track that has my complete attention is bessie's blues; very meaty tune that is covered by many, some better than others

original by coltrane
chick corea akoustic version live & his studio version
mcoy tyner's version is kinda weak
the best cover version of this song is by roland kirk, he rips it a new asshole from his album volunteered slavery

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am 

Nigger music! love it! :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 am 

Love the studio version too. Favorite Things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I6xkVRWzCY