Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does Humor...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:12 am 

Why doesn't Zappa (ZFT) own the rights to this one? The DVD, I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:46 pm 

cause its shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:04 am 

Raoul Duke wrote:
cause its shit

I think I like it so much because it is how I like to remember FZ. He's got a twinkle in his eye throughout. Smiling. Even handsome!

I will now sob into my hanky.

Post subject: EMI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:18 pm 

Franck has to leave EMI the marketing of video in 1986. But there is no relationship with the shows of August the 25 and 26 ' 84 with the théatre "ThePier" of New York from which the cassette is drawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:59 am 

"Does Humor..." was the first live FZ I ever saw, and one of my earliest entry points into his music - I first heard "Greasy", "Honey", "Cosmik", "Tinseltown" and others through that tape. Can't remember if I was already into the early stuff yet (I latched onto my dad's copy of Uncle Meat sometime around here too), but that video was a nice way to give me a teaser of his back catalogue. So I've got a soft spot for it, although I choose not to watch it much anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm 

i got it not knowing what to expect. he says "relax sit down its going to be a long show" i got excited, then it ended. I wish it was the whole show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:07 am 

I have mixed feelings towards DHBIM - on the plus side its brilliantly shot - some great close ups of frank's playing - nice interviews but on the down side I dont like Thunes's constant attempts at being 'crazy' - great bass playing for sure but boy does he know the camera is rolling ! Zoot is great though as is Cosmik Debris & Whipping Post .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:45 am 

rascalhoudi wrote:
I have mixed feelings towards DHBIM - on the plus side its brilliantly shot - some great close ups of frank's playing - nice interviews but on the down side I dont like Thunes's constant attempts at being 'crazy' - great bass playing for sure but boy does he know the camera is rolling ! Zoot is great though as is Cosmik Debris & Whipping Post .

It's called stage presence, you dolt!! He was ALWAYS animated like that, not just for this show cause the cameras were rolling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
rascalhoudi wrote:

It's called stage presence, you dolt!! He was ALWAYS animated like that, not just for this show cause the cameras were rolling.

On top of being skilled musicians , Frank also wanted people that wern't shy onstage.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:57 am 

thunes is awesome in that movie, quite fantastic. Alan Zavod on the the other hand.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:24 am 

you got that right, grimp! he definately knew the camera was on him. i was watching and thought, "okay, we get it, you're miming a blow job! over and over!" :roll: he could play, but he was'nt as great as thunes. as frank once said about what he looked for in a musician:"i look for a combination of skill and attitude" :mrgreen: thunes had it, zavod was merely irritating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:23 am 

sorry cant agree jaypfunk ! I saw 4 x 84 shows and Scott wasnt really animated at all - also saw 5 x 88 shows and again nowhere near as manic as in the Pier show - its just my observation anyway - leave all the running around to the BIG groups - Gotta agree about the Zavod comments - nice guy , WRONG band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:28 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
rascalhoudi wrote:

Yes Stage Presence. Scott presented himself in many ways. It was all part of the job. Delivering a show for the audience.

I saw 13 Zappa 1984 shows. Scott always played his parts quite well be it the bass, vocals or animated muzishnin'. If Scott was a little more animated because the film was running it only adds to a big part of what the 1984 tour was about. Not that Frank did not have his musicians animating there stage presence before this tour because the theatrical animation of his musicians always played a role in the show.

The great thing about Thunes was that he could do what Frank wanted of him. Frank and Thunes worked well together but back to the animated actions of Scott Thunes at the Saratoga show I gave Scott a Thing Fish Painting on canvas that was pinned to a Yellow Chineese Cook Jacket. I would change the jacket that I would wear this painting on for each show I attended. Anyhow, Thunes came out for the opening number Heavy Duty Judy with his back to the audience showing off the painting. Just another small example of Thunes animating during the show. All I can say is sometimes on film the animated sections show off a bit more but when you are at a show you could be focusing on the event from a different perspective. I always found Thunes to have a somewhat animated stage persona be it if Frank was asking him to play the role or it was his own thing. Like that whole He's gay section in He's So Gay. Some musician has to play the role and Scott did a good job bobbing the apple and rfifiing the bass at the same time.

Scott's is a great bass player. The animated sections was just something Frank apaprantly wanted in the program. It was a big part of the tour theme.

Yes Humor Does Belong in Music

Kim "TWIG" Dabney & Gary Titone
Jones Beach Theater August 16, 1984

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:07 pm 

Red X's ROCK!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:35 am 

Good points and well made jaypfunk ! I wish I had seen the Saratoga show - its one of my fav boots from 84 - and the opening Heavy Duty Judy just rocks - I do remember seeing Scott break a string during Dancing Fool @ Birmingham 88 - never seen a bass player before or since break a string - kinda sticks in the memory .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:14 pm 

rascalhoudi wrote:
Good points and well made jaypfunk ! I wish I had seen the Saratoga show - its one of my fav boots from 84 - and the opening Heavy Duty Judy just rocks - I do remember seeing Scott break a string during Dancing Fool @ Birmingham 88 - never seen a bass player before or since break a string - kinda sticks in the memory .

Did he stop playing? Can you remember Frank's reaction?

I personally think that Scott Thunes, Alan Zavod AND Bobby Martin ALL act like a bunch of idiots. But for me, that is one of the funny things about that DVD. And you have to admit, it takes a certain amount of skill to be able to play those songs AND act like an idiot at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:05 am 

Hey, it was the 80s after all, a lot of us were idiots back then anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 pm 

feetlightup wrote:

...Not me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:21 am 

dove_grey wrote:
you got that right, grimp! he definately knew the camera was on him. i was watching and thought, "okay, we get it, you're miming a blow job! over and over!" :roll: he could play, but he was'nt as great as thunes. as frank once said about what he looked for in a musician:"i look for a combination of skill and attitude" :mrgreen: thunes had it, zavod was merely irritating.

Agreed. Zavod comes across as ridiculous on DHBIM. great album and video / dvd though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:52 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
rascalhoudi wrote:

No, he wasn't. Just watch halloween show in october 1981.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
And their CLOTHES! To me that's the worst part. They play their parts and act funny. Personally, I like the DVD.

Post subject: Re: Does Humor...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm 

wow

Post subject: Re: Does Humor...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 pm 

Hmm, stage prescence. I guess it's not everything. (veiled reference)