Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:06 pm 

zappateers seems to me to be the download equivalent of taking a rocketpack to get to your neighbours house.

flac twice, seed it, track it, lose it (losslose it? ?)waves of torrent come crashing down around you , spindle twice, find it, stick it together with glue.... then you have a fz show! or something.

Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:59 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
Swedish tv had a zappa special a few years back where they showed the clip from "gröna lund"(1973) and if my memory is right they played Cosmic Debris but i havent seen THIS song from the show on you tube...if anyone can correct me if im wrong would be appreciated : )

Stockholm 8/21/1973 is the clip you saw. fuck youtube!!

www.zappateers.com
i seen it on you tube off oz tv. sound worth buying original because it sound was shit

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:20 pm 

cleon wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Swedish tv had a zappa special a few years back where they showed the clip from "gröna lund"(1973) and if my memory is right they played Cosmic Debris but i havent seen THIS song from the show on you tube...if anyone can correct me if im wrong would be appreciated : )

Stockholm 8/21/1973 is the clip you saw. fuck youtube!!

www.zappateers.com
i seen it on you tube off oz tv. sound worth buying original because it sound was shit

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 pm 

cleon wrote:

You can't buy this show. It is not on the market, and never was. You can, however, download it various places in very fine quality. It is a KILLER show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:25 pm 

timm0 wrote:
zappateers seems to me to be the download equivalent of taking a rocketpack to get to your neighbours house.

flac twice, seed it, track it, lose it (losslose it? ?)waves of torrent come crashing down around you , spindle twice, find it, stick it together with glue.... then you have a fz show! or something.

What exactly are you trying to say??? I find the zappateers concept work smooth as silk. Is it the torrent concept you don't get, or have I missed a joke? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
C'mon people!! Let's see some reviews of this amazing DVD!!!

It will be on my web-site soon, and I'll link you to it when it's there, but in the mean time let me quote you to this text I wrote earlier in a different thread and which can sadly be applied to the meaningless show-off case that forms the body to this documentary:

Quote:
I always saw Moore's documentaries as a satire on what us here like to refer to as "American documentaries": TV-shows that can fill an hour with a ten-minute story, brings in a lot of semi-celebs who have nothing to say, and either praise or talk down the item. In an Elvis Presley documentary you may have tons of singers saying he was such a big influence (and even overdoing it there) and a recap of the text from the music encyclopaedia, plus some well-known concert footage, and apotheosis of the subject. Documentaries about spiders do everything to encourage arachnophobia and spend half the time interviewing people who have been bitten by a spider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 am 

HJ wrote:
What exactly are you trying to say??? I find the zappateers concept work smooth as silk. Is it the torrent concept you don't get, or have I missed a joke? 8)

the intro page to it all is like reading a foreign language, is making the mp3s available not good enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:14 am 

Wheatgurm it is been taken off zappateers take a look no torrent size just the name of file.
HJ you can buy it in every record store in cardiff :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am 

timm0 wrote:
HJ wrote:

the intro page to it all is like reading a foreign language, is making the mp3s available not good enough?

About the foreign language, what can I say. Most of them are Swedes :wink:

And no, MP3s are not good enough. Only lossless formats are shared. But you are of course free to reduce the sound quality for your own enjoynment afterwards.

And remember, the site host no music files. It is a place where people meet in virtual space and share files. So you can only get the Stockholm 1973 show if someone is kind enough to upload it. (Or else you have to go to Cardiff :D .)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:19 am 

he he or the stockholm 73 got a little confused thanks for the handy pointer.the one where zappa say it colder than a motherfucker :wink: my fav show maybe 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 am 

found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUkQNrMgVj0
Montana.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 am 

cleon wrote:
Montana.

A Monster! And the jacket Zappa wears is just perfect! And it is cold as a motherfucker.

At a later point, Duke has problems playing due to cold fingers (Intro of Dupree's e.g.), but they all pull off such a great performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 pm 

cleon wrote:
he he or the stockholm 73 got a little confused thanks for the handy pointer.the one where zappa say it colder than a motherfucker :wink: my fav show maybe 8)

Thass right, Cold as a Motherfucker even though it was in August. My favourite phrase when people complain about the cold... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:39 pm 

HJ wrote:
And no, MP3s are not good enough. Only lossless formats are shared. But you are of course free to reduce the sound quality for your own enjoynment afterwards.

And remember, the site host no music files. It is a place where people meet in virtual space and share files. So you can only get the Stockholm 1973 show if someone is kind enough to upload it. (Or else you have to go to Cardiff :D .)

why is the set up so confusing? well it is to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:53 pm 

cleon wrote:
Wheatgurm it is been taken off zappateers take a look no torrent size just the name of file.

I know. I wasnt refering that it was still there. I did however dl it while it was briefly available. It is no dought the best website on the planet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:18 am 

wheatgurm wrote:
cleon wrote:

I know. I wasnt refering that it was still there. I did however dl it while it was briefly available. It is no dought the best website on the planet!!
why say it then you think i not been on the zappateers site :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:50 am 

I'm really digging this DVD. Hearing the multitracks disected is very cool, you get to hear stuff you never knew was ther before. And Tina Turner!?!?!? Who knew? (Well, at least, I didn't anyway....) Of course, the Roxy footage only leaves me wanting more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 am 

this thing is selling very well on Amazon!!!

http://amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd/16 ... i=51562011

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 pm 

wheatgurm wrote:

This logo rocks! I love the little triplet bracket. Haha.

I'm getting my DVD this week hopefully! Can't wait!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 am 

I think they did a great job balancing between the needs of the hardcore and the uninitiated. The talking heads in these type of things are always a little painful but that's the price one must pay. When I watch, I always try to put myself in the shoes of someone who is gaining first exposure. A massive success.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 am 

cleon wrote:
Montana.

That is one righteous fucking video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:23 pm 

I'm sorry to say, but I didn't like this DVD. Too much talking, too little playing!!!

I liked DZ's analyses of Zappa's mixes though, but somehow the sound quality of the ZPZ fragments wasn't that good.

Boy how I'm dying for a DVD of Barcelona '88, The Yellow Shark or other great shows!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:00 pm 

Sy Borg wrote:
I'm sorry to say, but I didn't like this DVD. Too much talking, too little playing!!!

I liked DZ's analyses of Zappa's mixes though, but somehow the sound quality of the ZPZ fragments wasn't that good.

Boy how I'm dying for a DVD of Barcelona '88, The Yellow Shark or other great shows!!!

You are right about the Classic albums dvd but I´d like better official dvd releases which nobody has seen them yet & I don´t know to what Era ZFT are waiting for. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm 

I liked the Moon quote that she was embarassed to be seen with Frank as a kid. Proves nobody is immune!

Fu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:50 pm 

DVD Review: Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation - Frank Zappa

http://www.modernguitars.com/holland/ar ... 03398.html

by Brian D. Holland.

Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation DVD

The Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation Classic Album DVD, the latest release from the Eagle Vision Classic Album Series, is quite a chronicle for numerous reasons. It’s a genuinely descriptive presentation into the production of two of the most exemplary albums in the vast and insightful music catalog of Frank Zappa. His avant-garde approach to musicianship and composition, often described as ahead of its time and profoundly innovative, is captivatingly revealed in both a creative and entertaining manner, to the extent that ninety-eight minutes can possibly do anyway.
The Classic Album Series frequently has an air about it that spells flashback for diehard listeners of vintage and classic music. They’ve been able to bring some of the more treasured albums of the past back into our lives in a fresh and consummate manner. It’s quite interesting to be taken back in time and given a thorough account into how each song was recorded, how each master tape sounded in the studio when separated track by track, and to be given a description by those who were there of the circumstances that went into the production of some of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Offset by random performance, studio, and other pertinent footage, commentary takes place throughout the 50 minute main show chapters from fellow musicians, family, and fans. Sons Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa, wife Gail and daughter Moon, Billy Bob Thornton, George Duke, Ian and Ruth Underwood, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Warren Cuccurullo, Elliot Ingber, Alice Cooper, David Fricke of Rolling Stone, Steve Vai, Ralph Humphrey, producer Frank Filipetti, and others share interesting knowledge and facts in regards to the Zappa persona and musical mind. There’s even some interesting footage of son Dweezil performing his Zappa Plays Zappa stage show. He and Steve Vai get into some Zappa-ish guitar licks in amazing synchronicity, in tight and convincing emulation of the real thing. Featured cuts throughout are "Dinah-Moe Humm", "I’m The Slime", "Montana", "St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast", "Cosmik Debris", and "Stink-Foot".

An additional treat is the bonus section, 48 more minutes of live and studio footage of memorable material such as "Montana" (Truly amazing performance! Roxy 1973) and "I Am the Slime". Dweezil, the ever-capable Zappa protégé, and his band (Napoleon Murphy Brock on vocals) do a convincing cover of "Camarillo Brillo".

Fans of Frank Zappa, as well as those who knew him personally, more than realize that his compositional skills and recording techniques were anything but conventional. He thrived on originality and craved perfection in instrument sound and intonation. His taste for absurd, cynical, and witty lyricism mixed with technically proficient musicianship and arrangement was accepted as ingenious by some yet misunderstood by others. Categorizing his music can be a tedious task in itself, because even though Zappa’s material was a type of progressive rock, it went off in tangents far beyond the comprehension of most people’s imaginative capacity. These characteristics alone make this DVD the ideal subject for dissection and discussion. When it comes to recording, album production, and musicianship, Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation were two of the more revolutionary and creative recordings ever produced, especially in relation to the early '70s. Zappa was way ahead of his time, and he was an amazing guitarist and all-around musician. This DVD sheds light on these aspects, and puts the man, his music, and his vision into perspective for new fans as well as old.

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (‘) / Over-Nite Sensation Classic Album DVD:

Main Chapters:

Introduction
The Band
The Style
The Process
The Man

Bonus Chapters:

Dirty Love: Dweezil Dishes the Dirt (Multi-tracks)
Montana: Live at the Roxy, 1973
Nanook Rubs It: Dweezil Deconstructs It (Multi-tracks)
Camarillo Brillo: Live - Zappa Plays Zappa 2006
Transduce That Marimba
Welcome To The Vault
Dinah-Moe Hum: Dweezil (Multi-tracks)
I’m The Slime: Saturday Night Live 1976

Discography and more features

Eagle Vision: released May 1, 2007

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next