Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:57 pm 

I still haven't seen this yet, but I really like every episode of the series that I've seen so far. I think the best one I've seen has to be the one for Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life". Watching him recreate one of his songs in the studio (I think it was "I Wish") and seeing him actually lay down most of the tracks in the studio (including the drums) himself is really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:07 pm 

I got this dvd today for my 34th birthday. I have already watched it twice. Love the footage of Montana from the Roxy!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 pm 

I love the story Ruth told about the first time they miked the xylaphone. Pricless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:51 am 

ROLLO!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 am 

Yeps.

Got a hard Jones to glom up this one now too, knowing there's a big brown mutha-lode of 'em at my hot teenage Muzak-Pod-Module ... & having just absorbed BABY SNAKES & THE DUB-ROOM SPECIAL!

Deedy do ... & I don't regularly much LIKE them there dee-vee-dee thingies much ANYhow.

Opal, you hot little HOOTCH!
Go wash yer pie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 am 

I got an e-mail this morning......

Your Amazon Alerts
Availability Alert

We're happy to inform you that the items you requested are now available to order from Amazon.ca!

DVD
Frank Zappa - Classic Albums: Apostrophe / Over-Nite Sensation

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca.
Price: CDN$ 14.38

Too bad they already sent me the one I ordered, back in May! {Glad I didn't wait for the official announcement....} :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am 

just plain doug wrote:
I got an e-mail this morning......

Your Amazon Alerts
Availability Alert

We're happy to inform you that the items you requested are now available to order from Amazon.ca!

DVD
Frank Zappa - Classic Albums: Apostrophe / Over-Nite Sensation

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca.
Price: CDN$ 14.38

Too bad they already sent me the one I ordered, back in May! {Glad I didn't wait for the official announcement....} :roll:

It was cheaper on amazon.com cuz u do not pay the taxe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:23 am 

Zut_boF wrote:
It was cheaper on amazon.com cuz u do not pay the taxe

It was $12.95, back when I bought it in May, so it pretty much evened out. (plus I didn't run the risk of cross-border tarifs)
But, since I recieved it from them in May, I wonder why the notice didn't come until today? (I had put myself on the advance notice list, but when the DVD popped up on their site, I immediately ordered it, without waiting for this notification. Just glad I didn't wait for them to tell me it was in!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 pm 

I just finished watching this for the first time. Got it for my birthday from my wife. I was grinning the whole time. Wonderful stuff.

I even got moist eyes during Ruth Underwood's parts. I've always loved Ruth, I even named my cat (who is my pride and joy) after Ruth, and seeing her enthuse about the music and play portions of it just had me in tears of joy.

I also loved seeing Dweezil grinning and shaking his head in amazement at some of the details behind the mix. Some of that stuff in "Zomby Woof" was really really ingenious. Like those "Mysterioso" vibes he points out. Makes me want to go back and listen to these albums in detail - cause they were never favorites of mine to start with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:37 am 

i finally just got this and watched. it is cool, but i thought it would have had more music, instead of billy bob thornton babbling, whats he go to do with frank anyway? how about the zft actually get back on track with roxy dvd (like 5 years laters...). :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 am 

johnoppel wrote:
i finally just got this and watched. it is cool, but i thought it would have had more music, instead of billy bob thornton babbling, whats he go to do with frank anyway? how about the zft actually get back on track with roxy dvd (like 5 years laters...). :oops:

I thought it was great. The talking head bull is the price one must pay. Sit and watch it and pretend you know nothing about FZ. They struck a pretty perfect balance for old timers and the uninitiated, I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 pm 

I just got it and watched it. It was A LOT better than I expected. I watched it with my dad who knows practically nothing about Zappa, and after watching it he said, "That dude's a genius." By the way, what does Billy Bob Thornton have to do with Zappa?

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:42 pm 

grand_wazoo wrote:
I just got it and watched it. It was A LOT better than I expected. I watched it with my dad who knows practically nothing about Zappa, and after watching it he said, "That dude's a genius." By the way, what does Billy Bob Thornton have to do with Zappa?

Evidently he likes Dinah Moe Humm, that's the only connection I know of, and a tenuous one at that. Oh and it's great that you could get your dad into Frank, peace.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:17 pm 
Banned

grand_wazoo wrote:

I believe he is a friend of the family and a lifelong Zappa fan. I think they also sell his CD(which contains a tribute to FZ) at Barfko Swill. Maybe if they ever do a FZ bio pic, Billy Bob would produce and direct? He couldn't be FZ because I don't think they could make him look any younger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 pm 
Banned

I just watched this on VH1 Classic. Although I missed part of it, what I saw was excellent. After the special and a commercial break, they played the 'You Are What You Is' music video, uncut.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:04 am 

"American singer Alice Cooper receives the DVD of the Year Award for 'Frank Zappa Classic Albums' at the Third Annual Classic Rock Roll of Honor at The Landmark Hotel, in London Monday Nov. 5, 2007. (AP Photo/Nathan Strange)."

Very Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:21 am 

Quote:
I also loved seeing Dweezil grinning and shaking his head in amazement at some of the details behind the mix. Some of that stuff in "Zomby Woof" was really really ingenious. Like those "Mysterioso" vibes he points out. Makes me want to go back and listen to these albums in detail - cause they were never favorites of mine to start with.

I know what you mean! After seeing that part I listened to a lot of his albums again on Headphones, just to pick out things. My favorite was this string patch I noticed at the beggining of 'Hardcore Ecstacy.' I've heard that album a million times and I'd never noticed it. A sheer magic moment.

EDIT: Except, of course, now it's so obvious I wonder how I ever missed it before...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:35 am 

I would have prefered more time spent at the mixer with the engineer that was there at the recording sessions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:58 am 

I liked the part where they look into "Dirty Love" and point out that the jewelry of the Ike-ettes was picked up in the recording. I never noticed that before.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:56 am 

Saw this a while back. Did anyone else think Dweezil looked a little embarrassed while listening to Dinah Moe Hum?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
Saw this a while back. Did anyone else think Dweezil looked a little embarrassed while listening to Dinah Moe Hum?

I'll have to watch it again. I didn't notice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:53 pm 

i did notice that, pretty funny. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 am 

I've got about 20 of these classic albums on DVD, and the 2 best ones are... the Pink Floyd one, and the Zappa one. I've watched the Zappa one the most though. The studio scenes are the best for me...and multitracks.

What other Zappa Albums would you like to see examined in this series?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:43 am 

Although as all Zappa fans know it is so hard to choose...I would have to say "Joe's Garage" as it was so ahead of its time and pivotal for music fans on so many levels.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 am 

Plook wrote:
Although as all Zappa fans know it is so hard to choose...I would have to say "Joe's Garage" as it was so ahead of its time and pivotal for music fans on so many levels.

That & Hot Rats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next