Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Whats on Roxy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 am 

Does anybody know whats on the Roxy DVD. Are you guys asuming it's going to follow the like the album. Is there a track listing for the DVD yet? Whats with the Crappy out of focus footage and camera serching on the QT Montana & DP, are they teasing us with B roll footage? Is the whole project a salvage job? does any body Know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:06 am 

i don't think the footage was ever editing by FZ (someone please correct me if im wrong.) I don't think that is b roll footage I just think whoever put it togteher wanted to go for that oh so hip and so stylish look that is cool today. I agree that the split screen ala woodstock is annoyning, the black and white is annoyning and choosing to use lots of moving shots with zooms and focus pulls is annoying but it is the aesthetic of todays (particularly Jam Band) concert dvd's. I would much rather prefer the 16mm footage be editing on a 16mm steinbeck (or 2 moviola setup) then the final cut and special extras be HD transferred (as opposed to transferiing everything to HD editing it and such.) they would save money on the transfer and they could match back to original negatives blowup to 35 and make a few compostites for a limited theatrical release (on film... remeber that stuff guys the stuff that looks really good and isn't digital...... yeah that stuff.)
I'm sure trendy will defend how its put together right after this post but its not that they did it wrong its purely an aesthetic opinion on which myself and whoever put this togeher differ. The style they are going for will defiently get the dvd an award at the jammys but people who want to see clearly what the musicians are doing (because people who come to these shows watch everything oh so carefully) may still love the dvd but be left wanting for a Musicians Cut. Personally I would love a cut with just Tom Fowler's left and right hands in split screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:35 am 

Oh it's hip.....I should of known. I live in Australia and have never seen Frank play, as I was to young for the shows in the mid seventies (damn those melbourne coppers) I'd like to see more of his improvised conducting. It's hip..... thats not hip is it? Maybe I should get out more.

Farewell Kilgore
peace