Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:11 am 

heard they performed "america drinks and goes home" on that show...anyone knows if it can be found??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:12 pm 

It was on youtube for a while but it got yanked...This was the bycycle performance

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 pm 

but it exists. YES!! : )..im sure they will release it officially pleeaaasee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm 

I thought the bicycle thingamabob was in 1962.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:38 pm 

Maybe he wanted to reprise it ; ) (for old times sake...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 am 

The Bicycle Concerto was performed with Steve Allen and the Show Band. Certainly not 1968 as Frank wasn't sporting the 'tache 'n' imperial combo. As for MOI actually performing on the show I have no idea, they certainly weren't with Frank at the time though.

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:11 am 

The Steve Allen Show
Videography

c. Spring 1968

Hosted by Steve Allen

The music played:
America Drinks & Goes Home
Hungry Freaks, Daddy

The Steve Allen Show (March 5, 1968 - November 6, 1969): This was a syndicated (by Filmways, Inc.) comedy talk show that ran five days a week.

There was a 67 or 68 appearance with THE MOTHERS on the STEVE ALLEN SHOW. They played two songs america drinks and goes home and hungry freaks daddy and zappa was interviewed by Mr. Allen.

Allen had a syndicated afternoon talk show circa 1967-69. The Mothers of Invention performed on that show--I remember they sang "America Drinks & Goes Home", and there was another piece that I don't recall. When they were done with the first piece, Allen invited Frank to come and sit in one of the "guest chat" chairs, where they discussed politics and "the youth movement." Steve asked Frank what he thought "today's young people" wanted and Frank replied, "I'll tell you what they NEED--they need representation in government." Another guest on that show was old Ed Begley Sr., who seemed fascinated by Frank and peppered him with questions of his own. Later in the show, after a commercial break, Frank wasn't in his chair and Steve said something like "We'll resume our chat after Frank Zappa returns," at which Frank came strolling in from off camera with a cup of coffee. As he sat down, he made an unheard remark to Ed Begley Sr., which made the old guy chuckle.

I remember that Allen series well because he had all kinds of rock bands of that time, good and bad, on the show. I've not seen one second of it rebroadcast at any time since those ewsyears. It may not even exist any more.

I have a very fond memory of watching Steve Allen's mid-sixties show, which I assume was syndicated since I got it on a UHF channel from Charlotte, NC, and one of the best I saw was when the Mothers appeared. I do remember that they played "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" and I think "America Drinks..." and Steve announced the first song with quite a bit of surprise and good-natured humor in his voice. I don't remember enough to state who was actually on stage; I assume it was the 67-68 original Mothers line up. Absolutely Free must have been the most recent LP at that time. Anyway, having owned Freak Out at the time, I was already familiar with HFD and it made quite an impression when they appeared. FZ sat down at talked for a minute; unfortunately time has eroded my recollections. Is this anywhere on tape???

Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 pm 

jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
The Steve Allen Show
Videography

c. Spring 1968

Hosted by Steve Allen

The music played:
America Drinks & Goes Home
Hungry Freaks, Daddy

This show and the bicycle show are not the same event. The bicycle show was in 1963.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:29 pm 

i know... ; )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:14 pm 

My bad... I've read now about the other performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:39 am 

Anyone got the bicycle video? Can't find it on youtube anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:04 pm 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33331 ... show_music
Check it Out :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:31 pm 

FZ told the press after he played the SA show:

Progress Bulletin, pomona calif, Friday evening, march 9th 1962 page 8 sec.3

Sneak preview planned here.

oops that the wrong one!!

ONTARIO Composer, STeve Allen To play wacky duet

Frank Zappa, 22, Ontario resident and composer of music serious and otherwise, will be on television tommorrow night playing a bicycle concerto for two with Steve Allen.

The show is at 11 pm., Channel 5. "its very funny," said Zappa."you play a bicycle by plucking the spokes and blowing through the handlebars."

Other methods of "cyclophony" is to stroke the spokes with the bow of a bass fiddle, twirl the pedals and let the air out of the tires (sic).
The Zappa-Allen concerto will be abbetted by a man in the control booth fooling around with a tape recorder and a jazz group will be supplying toneless bakground noise.

Zappa studied music and art at Chaffey college. He wrote the score for the worlds greatest sinner, " a low budget tale about about a sacrilegious imposter who repents. " sinner had its premiere at vista continental theater(sic), Hollywood, and opened Wednesday at the Ken theatre San diego.

Zappa writes musical comercials for TV and Radio, they are recorded at Pal Studio Cucamonga.

I am sorry but there is no date or reference from where this newsclipping came from. Probably the 'progress bulletin' Pomona

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 am 

I remember tye mothers appearance, I watched with my dad, and they did "Hungry Freaks", after wich Allen asked what the song was about, and Frank said "It's about parents who don't like the way they're children dress. After thy performed America Drinks wich was hilarious because Ray Collins had a gown or something on, and started ad libbing to the audiance, (just like on the album), it was a straight middle age audiance and they panned it, and I remember some priceless jaws dropping. Alen was known to dislike Rock but I think he really got a kick out of Frank. I'd give anything to see this clip again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 pm 
Banned

arcey wrote:
I remember tye mothers appearance, I watched with my dad, and they did "Hungry Freaks", after wich Allen asked what the song was about, and Frank said "It's about parents who don't like the way they're children dress. After thy performed America Drinks wich was hilarious because Ray Collins had a gown or something on, and started ad libbing to the audiance, (just like on the album), it was a straight middle age audiance and they panned it, and I remember some priceless jaws dropping. Alen was known to dislike Rock but I think he really got a kick out of Frank. I'd give anything to see this clip again.
I dont care what anyone does maybe say Thats some FUNNY SHIT