Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:52 pm 

Hey, I can't believe I can't find ANYTHING in here about this (new?) release, but has anyone seen this DVD yet?? Found it here on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104AZ5U

I ordered it from one of the distributors on Amazon. Anyone know that this was coming out?? Is this an official release??? All I can say is it shocked the hell outa me when I saw it.

I've posted the same question in Zappa Concerts because I'm so dumbfounded, and want to know more, and figured you all would wanna know about it, too ...

Thanks to anyone who can supply more info on this one ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:39 am 

I dont think this is official..

I will stick to my dvdr

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:33 am 

It's not official. I think Gail said, somewhere, that the ZFT doesn't have the rights to it. It's from a Spanish tv show, and the production is good. There's been a ripped DVD of this show making the rounds for quite a while. It's definitely worth having. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 am 

One thing that always bugged me about this show is there is practically zero footage of Mike Keneally. The only time you see him is for about 5 seconds towards the end (I think it's on Watermelon, but it's been a while since I saw it so I can't be sure). There are relatively few different camera angles, a pretty crappy camera job to be honest. The concert is wonderful though. Opening with the New Age Version of The Black Page was a great choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:30 am 

Yes, I agree about Keneally. It's like they decided the stunt guitarist didn't count. :x

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 am 

Seems like Kenneally didn't have to do much anyway. He's somehow like the probationer. The only memory I recollect from the two shows I had seen in '88 was him playing the solo in Cosmic Debris if I am not wrong.

From watching all the snippets (Edit: from several '88 shows) that have been (and still are) on youtube I'm also astound that lots of the guitars I thought were Mike on the CDs are in fact played by Ike Willis.

Nevertheless it is important to know that it is Mike who plays the electric piano intro on Eat That Question.

Th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 am 

Definitely NOT a ZFT-sanctioned release, as pointed out earlier.

I put this DVD on and mostly listened to it, as I was working around the house -- but I am really disappointed in it. Picture-wise, it certainly appears to be a dub from a videotape (as someone else has suggested). Sound-wise, same thing -- it's a B+ at best, but my copy is loaded with drop-outs through-out the performance. I didn't get a chance to see/hear this thing from start to finish, but at the rate I was hearing them, there must be at least 2 - 3 dozen drop-outs throughout the 2-hour DVD, and that is an incredible drag.

Someone suggested I should pay no more than 50 cents (or something like that) for a copy. I'm thinking that might be about right, because it's great to have the performance, but not the flaws that are apparently inherent in the source. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:48 pm 

I was at the concert, I saw Walt Fowler earlier in the day going for a walk, and looking like he regretted it as it was hot and the venue was halfway up a steep hill. There are several songs that were cut out during the encore, It must have been the Beatles ones, and right at the beginning Zappa read something out from a prepared sheet in 'phonetic' spanish, there was huge boo's about the place, and I asked my friend Eliseo who was next to me whats happening, he said it was some propaganda from Madrid about the Olympics which the Catalans (locals) in the audience objected to. When I got the tape off the TV broadcast this bit was cut out.

It was broadcast about an hour or so delay, I've got the Bull-Fighting highlights run-on onto the end before TVE closes down and mops up the blood left behind...nice..

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:06 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I was at the concert, I saw Walt Fowler earlier in the day going for a walk, and looking like he regretted it as it was hot and the venue was halfway up a steep hill. There are several songs that were cut out during the encore, It must have been the Beatles ones, and right at the beginning Zappa read something out from a prepared sheet in 'phonetic' spanish, there was huge boo's about the place, and I asked my friend Eliseo who was next to me whats happening, he said it was some propaganda from Madrid about the Olympics which the Catalans (locals) in the audience objected to. When I got the tape off the TV broadcast this bit was cut out.

It was broadcast about an hour or so delay, I've got the Bull-Fighting highlights run-on onto the end before TVE closes down and mops up the blood left behind...nice..

Find the original speech of FZ in Spanish & translated into English below. I think you friend Eliseo misunderstood the meaning or wanted to understand what he wanted to hear.

" Bona nit, Cataluña,

Buenas noches, España,

Hola, noctambulos.

Disculpen mi pronunciación, pero he aprendido mi discurso como un loro.

Este concierto lo quiero dedicar a las gentes que hablan y sienten en español.

Trescientos millones en España, Sudamérica y Norteamérica, quienes cooperando entre ellos
y salvando sus diferencias, podrán llegar a ser el tercer poder. "

“Good night Catalonia,

Good night Spain,

Hello, night wanderers.

" Excuse my pronunciation, but I´ve learnt my speech like a parrot. I want to dedicate this concert to all people who speak & feel in Spanish.

300 million in Spain, Southamerica & Northamerica, who collaborating among them & saving their differences, could become the third power".

It was an alive broadcasting. The audience´s boo ( you can hear it when FZ´s speech mentions Spain in the video). This should be understood as Catalan´s political point of view ( some trend to separatism from Spain).

There is no allusion to Olympics games to celebrate in Barcelona ´92 but at the end of the show when FZ shows some Spanish flags to celebrate some events for 1992 as Expo in Seville ( remember Night of the Guitars for 3 days in 1991 ) & Madrid as European cultural capital.

This last part was not included in the original alive broadcasting probably to t.v. limit timings for program up to 120´& not 135´ as others later broadcasts show.

Further info here: http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... na_88.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:53 am 

The DVD I got has Zappa reading in Spanish at the beginning, as well as at least a FEW encore tracks (including I Am The Walrus). Right at the very end, Zappa and Ike unravel a string of flags, including the Olympic flag -- I was thinking that was bizarre. Didn't hear any booing, but maybe they cleverly "obscured" that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:50 am 

JerseyJoker wrote:

The DVD I got has Zappa reading in Spanish at the beginning, as well as at least a FEW encore tracks (including I Am The Walrus). Right at the very end, Zappa and Ike unravel a string of flags, including the Olympic flag -- I was thinking that was bizarre. Didn't hear any booing, but maybe they cleverly "obscured" that.

The booing & whistles are at the begining of FZ´s speech in Spanish, for the fact he speaks in Spanish. No more. You can hear them as well on t.v. broadcasting. Always you´ll hear louder music than audience in a alive show.
The only propaganda if you want to use that term is when FZ supports different events with flags to celebrate in Spain even asked for it in Spanish incluiding the Olympics games to come for ´92 in Barcelona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:21 pm 

where can i find this
Barcelona Airport, 1974

Videography

October 4, 1974
Spanish TV, Barcelona Airport
B&W

Filmed for Spanish TV show, Mundo Pop.

I saw it once on youtube but cant find it now...
help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm 

Flea wrote:
where can i find this
Barcelona Airport, 1974

Videography

October 4, 1974
B&W

help

It appears in the pre-concert documentary to Barcelona show ´88.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... na_88.html

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:18 am 

Al_Fresco wrote:
Flea wrote:
where can i find this
Barcelona Airport, 1974

Videography

October 4, 1974
B&W

help

It appears in the pre-concert documentary to Barcelona show ´88.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... na_88.html

[/img]

thanks found it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:29 am 

I have a Video of the concert taped off TVE, a first generation copy-including the Bull fighting highlights at the end of the tape. If anyone in the UK has the facility to create a DVD off this cassette they are welcome to access my tape

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!