It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:40 pm 

My review:

Yeah, it's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:15 pm 

Decent review Gary, Only you spelled rhythm wrong.
I will go out on a limb by stating that the "flange effect" was done in post.
G.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 pm 

The Trendbooger doez it again!

Just a thought....Do you think it was an MXR Flanger or a Danelectro Flanger ?? Could of been a Electro-Harmonix Flanger !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:05 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The Trendbooger doez it again!

Just a thought....Do you think it was an MXR Flanger or a Danelectro Flanger ?? Could of been a Electro-Harmonix Flanger !

Yes even though I do not collect AUDs at times I tend to be a step ahead of many Forum Members who at times get lost in the fanatical where that has at times clouded some judgment on some issues.

You can check out the DZRIG2008 Flowchart and all the actual photos of the equipment. I got my hands on and posted the link to DZRIG08 before the Guitar World AUG2008 issue was released but Guitar World is very detailed in both interview, pictorial and video. I highly suggest getting that GW publication.

ZPZ PHASE III & EQ(Equipment) REPORTING FOR DUTY
http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14526

I am not exactly sure what and when FZ used in the application sense for Flangers in TTNS. As I have said in the past someone asking Marque at Joe's Garage or Gail's brother Midget Sloatman may be of help. I am not so sure FZ had left detailed production notes, I would hope but someone can ask Joe Travers if he knows what Flangers were used and when they were applied for TTNS video.

MicMix DynaFlager x2

NON-FOODS
Feedback, Effects, And Tone
By Frank Zappa

Guitar Player, 1983 July
How do you get the doubling effect on your guitar?

I use a device called a Mic-Mix Dyna-flanger. There are actually two of them being used at the same time. You see, the Dyna-flanger has an envelope follower built into it. So if you set one of them up to go sharp when the envelope is hit hard, and the other one to go flat when the envelope is hit hard, then you're going to get this doubling effect wherever there's an actual pitch discrepancy in the notes, and it really sounds like two instruments playing the same thing. I used a Harmonizer on one track, "Pink Napkins" [Shut Up 'A' Play Yer Guitar Some More, Barking Pumpkin, BPR-1112], only because I used to have one in my rack. In every instance, the guitar is recorded in stereo, using two different amps. In some instances the guitar was recorded on four channels, with four different amp sounds, all blended together to

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm 

What I'd really like to know, and have quietly kept my curiosity to myself for over a year, is, WHO IS TRENDMONGER? Is he (are you) being sarcastic when you talk about the things you have done (the Cucarullo satatements, and the millions who heard on MTV) or am I missing a major point of who's saying what about who. TRENDMONGER is definately (probably) the most outspoken member of the Zappa.com forum elite, but does he (do you ) have a secret identity?
You can tell me, I don't work for the Gov't, and am in no way affiliated with the Central Scrutinizer. :?:
and --p.s. not to kiss-up or anything, but I thought your TTNS review was excellent. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm 

I ask of everyone who would answer - is this DVD gonna be available in stores like all the other (video) DVDs? I searched for it on Best Buy's website, and they don't mention it. Anyone know?? -thanks. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:42 am 

antnyh wrote:
I ask of everyone who would answer - is this DVD gonna be available in stores like all the other (video) DVDs? I searched for it on Best Buy's website, and they don't mention it. Anyone know?? -thanks. :shock:

My guess is yes, down the road in another year. It seems like this one was rushed out to sell on the ZpZ tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:15 pm 

antnyh wrote:
What I'd really like to know, and have quietly kept my curiosity to myself for over a year, is, WHO IS TRENDMONGER? Is he (are you) being sarcastic when you talk about the things you have done (the Cucarullo satatements, and the millions who heard on MTV) or am I missing a major point of who's saying what about who. TRENDMONGER is definately (probably) the most outspoken member of the Zappa.com forum elite, but does he (do you ) have a secret identity?
You can tell me, I don't work for the Gov't, and am in no way affiliated with the Central Scrutinizer. :?:
and --p.s. not to kiss-up or anything, but I thought your TTNS review was excellent. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed the review. I hope it brought some meaning from one of NY Finest Crazy Type Persons. If you have any specific questions you can quote any specific content and make it into a question of a specific subject or you can e-mail me but what I write here is 100% my factual life happenings.

Not sure where you live in Southern California but for a brief moment in time during the summer of 1976 I spent about 8 weeks with family in La Mesa and El Cajon CA. I kept riding my skate board around up and down those tall hills of La Mesa looking for that little record shop where FZ bought his records as a teenager. What I found was Ice Cream for 10cents a scoop and a daily bowl of horribly fore-shortened corn flakes.
Yes that was the life.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:11 pm 

What the hell? I just used a flange on my acoustic and it sounded like shit and messed it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
What the hell? I just used a flange on my acoustic and it sounded like shit and messed it up!

FZ was a master craftsman when it came to the use of effects.
Not that other talented guitarists since the beginning of
electric guitar have not used effects creatively but FZ
was unique and few if none have researched and achieved
as many sonic possibilities of FZs work as DZ.

Getting what FZ got out of Flangers has to do with a
combination of effects, amps, settings and guitar.
FZ frequently used two Flangers at once through different
amps and also compressed the signal.

It's not about 1 Guitar, a Flanger and an Amp.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Well Yeah! if you're going to use one "Made in China", your going to have problems. Best to use a "Made in Texas" Flange. Like this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:02 pm 

This may be a bit off-topic (Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a Rubber Fucking Crutch, knock it off already you Assholes) but I received the new DVD today and:

It's much better quality than any other version I have ever seen and it's a must have, but:

I Am a Beautiful Guy is on the original and not on this one. How come?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:45 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Or, That Completely Went Over My Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:18 pm 

Please can anyone tell me urgently, is the Barfko release of The Torture Never Stops only region 1 or is it all regions or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Or, That Completely Went Over My Head

*gasp* Cal's imagination has gone beyond the fringe of audience comprehension! WAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
Or, a small part of the audience, anyway....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 am 

The DVD appears to be region-free. Sorry if I'm posting actual information that relates to the subject of the post.

All the rest of this retardation is why a lot of people (including and especially me) don't visit this site more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:40 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The DVD appears to be region-free.

Appears to be? I need someone that can tell me definitively what region information is on the actual cover. I'm in OZ and if you're absolutely sure it's region free I'll be buying it from Barfko and having it shipped instead of waiting to see if and when a compatible release arrives in stores over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:54 am 

polydigm wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The DVD appears to be region-free.

Appears to be? I need someone that can tell me definitively what region information is on the actual cover. I'm in OZ and if you're absolutely sure it's region free I'll be buying it from Barfko and having it shipped instead of waiting to see if and when a compatible release arrives in stores over here.

Hey, Mickey, are you there?

Can you tell us what region is the TNS dvd :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:43 am 

The TSN DVD is a dual-layer NTSC region-free DVD-9. There is no region code indicated on the cover.

It also comes with a set of No-D glasses and some removable tatoos for all the 13-year old girls named Debbie who ordered this.

Finally, when I placed the order Musictoday automatically added the following to my shipment:

ZPAM20/ZP Frank Zappa Discography Promo Insert

No idea what this is but it was never added to my order. Maybe I'll get it with the One Shot Deal CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:08 pm 

Got mine today, it is better that i thought, fucking great images and sound quality, they are very groovy and bluesy, that's better than Does humour belong in music and this last one is great.

Fantastic! :shock: :roll: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 am 

I like it. Frank is very serious throughout thought, dontcha think? Compared to DHBIM and BS, anyway.

Anyone put their tattoos on yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 pm 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
Anyone put their tattoos on yet?
No, i wait when i 'll have a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 pm 

I gotta say I don't like that effect on Frank's guitar during some solos (Black Napkins etc.) I have a version without it that sounds much better to my ears.
Setlist.. I woulda stuck in Yo Mama, or Drowning Witch. Sinister Footwear too would have been great. Good stuff though.

Something strange I thought I noticed.. during a song (We're Turning Again maybe?) you can see Smothers at the (left) side of the stage in the background, and it looks like he's got a blue mohawk hairdo ?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm 

I have to agree with the comments about including Drowning Witch and Sinister Footwear. Maybe the reasoning there, just wild speculation, is that mistakes were made, as we already know, the Drowning Witch on SATLTSADW is constructed from several cuts to avoid errors, and this one is obviously only a single take, but I would have thought that's part of presenting a full concert. The reason I mention those two tracks is that my only complaint about this video and the time period in general is that there is too much singing and not enough of FZ's instrumental compositions. My preferred concert balance is similar to that on Roxy & Elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 pm 

timm0 wrote:
I gotta say I don't like that effect on Frank's guitar during some solos (Black Napkins etc.) I have a version without it that sounds much better to my ears.

There're lots of great Black Napkins versions. But it's my considered opinion , that the TTNS version is one of the best I've heard so far.