Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:20 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
timm0 wrote:
I gotta say I don't like that effect on Frank's guitar during some solos (Black Napkins etc.) I have a version without it that sounds much better to my ears.

There're lots of great Black Napkins versions. But it's my considered opinion , that the TTNS version is one of the best I've heard so far.

I really love the solo on this one, but the guitar effect diminishes my enjoyment of it unfortunately.

here's how i like it best: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=psrAW1UZu8Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:38 pm 

Re: the picture quality - is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the digital mastering/analog to digital transfer or whatever, apparently didn't went as smooth and therefore doesn't reach the same standards as on previous ZFT DVD releases? One can clearly detect (not so minor!) 'jumps' , as if there's only 20 frames per second, or something. The typical shit when your software is set to an inadequate frame rate and misses one or two every once in a while, esp. when dealing with fast-moving persons/objects on the screen. And as if that weren't enough, it pixelates like hell – watch the fine contours of those Marshall amps or Ed's marimba rack – saw teeth!

Guess they are mastering in pre-set mode, while checking their output on their tiny Mac screens only. I sincerely hope this doesn't set the standards for future releases, just try to think of R&TF or a ROXY multiple-disc set in VCD quality, outch!

The quality of the performance is so top-notch plus this guitar-drenched early 80s period is just un-real - this SHOULD HAVE BEEN nothing else than a major highlight in the post-humous FZ catalog :cry: Hope they are regaining their chops pretty soon. :roll: :lol:

buffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:11 pm 

-

when their software's chic /
like in Traversen's case /
and the frames get forgotten /
the Beta-taped grow a tic /

, hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am 

Except for the Flange Effect on FZ's guitar solo's has anyone else noticed that Scott Thunes is never in front of the camera! Have they (you know who) edited him out!

I still think it was a Texas Flange Calvin!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am 

No Drowning Witch, Baltimore, Sinister Footwear or even the King Kong ending of the show - what's the point of releasing it then?
The truth is, compositions/improvisatory events like these are the only positive things about the 1981-2 tour. There wasn't enough improvisation involving the rest of the band. There were too many lightweight pop/rock tunes on heavy rotation (as usual in the '80s). And Frank the Guitarist was undergoing one of his creative lows - the late '60s/Petite Wazoo solos may have been boring but at least you never had the feeling Frank was resorting to silly noises to cover for a lack of ideas.

In any case, they should get their priorities straight - who gives a flying one about the early '80s when there still isn't a widely-available (know what I mean) DVD of the '73 tour (Piquantique?) or '88 tour (Barcelona Uncut?). Not forgetting the Roxy film, 200 Motels and its True Story etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 pm 

Maybe not the right place to ask, but how can I get a hold of it ?...been checking different places in Norway, but they can't help me over here ?? Will it even work on my norwegian dvd-player ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:59 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Except for the Flange Effect on FZ's guitar solo's has anyone else noticed that Scott Thunes is never in front of the camera! Have they (you know who) edited him out!

I still think it was a Texas Flange Calvin!

Interesting point, especially considering that he's the SOLE contributor to the liner notes for the DVD. Can't hear him or Chad that well on most songs either. I've attempted to set up my stereo many different ways and no matter what I tweak, Frank's guitar is quite dominant during the solos, and the keyboards and vocals are the focus. I don't mind that so much, but where's the shape and dynamics in the low end? Maybe they were lost in the original recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:29 pm 

Just got it, have'nt watched it yet but was pleasantly surprised to find a bonus window sticker (<edit>err, I mean tattoos) and No-D glasses. 8)

I wish the case had'nt arrive smashed though.

I'll blurt out my two cents worth about the program soon.

<edit>

Not much to say that already has'nt been said. Great performance, lots of flanger on FZ's guitar, phenominal line-up. No complaints here.