Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:06 pm 

Howdy all,

I just wanted to let you know that we will be hosting a very rare screening of Frank Zappa's THe Amazing Mr. Bickford at the Silent Movie Theatre, Sunday the 24th. Bickford himself will be in attendance.

Many thanks to Gail for helping make this happen.

Best,

Hadrian Belove
Head Programmer @ The Cinefamily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:38 am 

This is very exciting news. I cannot find anything on the 'net about it though. Do you have a link?

Post subject: Not allowed to link
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 pm 

As a new member of the forum, I'm not allowed to post html links...it's a sensible policy for keeping spam away. But I'm surprised you couldn't find something by googling Zappa Silent Movie Theatre...or Cinefamily Bickford...etc.

Hadrian Belove
Head Programmer
The Cinefamily @
The Silent Movie Theatre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:41 pm 

Yes, you are correct. I must have been tired. And you failed to mention TWO special nights in LA! Will a dvd release be far behind? Doesn't Gail know that this makes Frank look HIP and not dated?

8/24 @ 7:30 & 9:30pm
Frank Zappa's The Amazing Mr. Bickford
The title is not an exaggeration. Bruce Bickford's art--a hallucinatory stop-motion amalgamation of Peter Pan, Ray Harryhausen, and The Wild Bunch--is nothing short of amazing. Frank Zappa first used the incredible talents of self-taught claymation wizard Bickford as visual companions to
his music in the film Baby Snakes, and continued this collaboration in The Amazing Mr. Bickford. On the film's original VHS cover, Zappa exclaimed, "Bruce Bickford is a genius!...Few other home video products can compare with the years of effort and attention to detail contained in less than an hour of The Amazing Mr. Bickford. It is a show that will be watched again and again, freeze-framed, and gasped at for years to come." Bruce Bickford will be in attendance for a Q&A after this incredibly rare screening.
Dirs. Bruce Bickford & Frank Zappa, 1987, digital presentation, 60 min.
Tickets - $14/ $10 for members

7:30pm

9:30pm

8/26 @ 8pm
Cas'l and Other Unreleased Bruce Bickford Films
While the greater mass of animator Bruce Bickford's work seen by the public consists of the films he made while working for Frank Zappa, he never stopped working, either before or after his employ. We will screen some of Bruce's early Super-8 experiments as a teenager, as well as his unfinished 45-minute opus Cas'l, the inspired result of years of solitary work, featuring a live score by The Gaslamp Killer. Also, Bickford will perform on of his "blues raps", with musical accompaniment by Gerry
Fialka.
Tickets - $14/ $10 for members