Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 am 

Saturday, Oct 25 on TCM (ie: late Fri night - times E.S.T.) - TCM Underground show:

2:00am - The World's Greatest Sinner (1962, 82')

3:45am - 200 Motels (1971, 98')

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?s ... =EST&cid=N

NB: TCM's schedule lists these two films being screened on Fri, Oct 24, but their daily schedule runs from 6am-6am, and not from 12am-12am, so even though TCM lists them as Fri, OCT 24, they are actually being screened early Saturday morning (Oct 25). OK? Y'arrr!!!!

Last edited by Gio. Shanger on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Y'arrr!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:16 pm 

Check out SIX movie clips for TWGS:

http://www.tcm.com/2008/underground/videos.jsp?cid=212174
(TCM Underground friday night show) - Y'arrr!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 pm 

I downloaded those clips. Fuck, that is a bad movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 am 

The Insurance clip What happened to the voice of the Woman nearest,The Sinner.The one who talks while he's on the Phone then her voice changes when she picks up the Phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:23 am 

Hmm, maybe I don't need a Tivo.

Post subject: TWGS soundtrack!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:13 pm 

About the TWGS soundtrack:
- written in the summer of 1961
- originally recorded between November and December, 1961
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Musicians:
Pomona Valley Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fred E. Graff
Frank Zappa--guitar
Kenny Burgen--saxophone
Doug Rost--rhythm guitar
Al Surratt--drums
FZ was hired to write the music for The World's Greatest Sinner in June, 1961, and it was recorded later that year at Chaffey Junior College. This is Timothy Carey, producer, writter, director and main character of the film, interviewed by Mike Murphy and Johnny Legend (Psychotronics, 1990):

When I was working with Debbie Reynolds for the second time (in The Second Time Around, a western comedy) at 20th Century Fox, a fellow came up to me and complemented me on my acting. He said he was a composer and the guy he came with, his next door neighbor, played the guitar. I said, "What's your name?" He said, "Frank Zappa." So I said, "OK, I have something for you. We have no music for The World's Greatest Sinner. If you can supply the orchestra and a place to tape it, you have the job." And that's what he did.
Dwight Bement was also involved in the sessions, as he told Patrick Neve:

It took FZ 2 months to write 15 minutes of music for the soundtrack. The recording session took 11 hours with the Pomona Valley Symphony. Frank conducted and one mic was used. It was placed above the podium. Aside from Al Sarratt and myself, I don't remember who else played. Maybe Ronnie, but I can't be sure.

I played several instruments during the session including clarinet, rhythm guitar, marimba, snare drum and contra-bass saxophone, a very rare instrument. I have no idea where Frank found it.

I spent a lot of time with FZ and Timothy Carey during post production both at Carey's home in El Monte and in Hollywood at the sound company, Glen Glenn.
This is FZ on The Steve Allen Show, March, 1963 (most of Allen's comments edited out):

FZ: I did the score for The World's Greatest Sinner, the . . . (laughters) That's the name of the film. It's the world's worst movie, and I did the music for it. It's a Tim Carey production, Frenzy Productions. It's an, it's an independent company. (laughters) It's shot in El Monte.

Steve Allen: Who is in it?

FZ: Uh, Tim Carey and a cast of a thousand people that he found down Main St. or something (laughters).

Steve Allen: What instrumentation did you use, three harmonicas and a bicycle or what? (laughters)

FZ: Well uh, we have a 55-piece orchestra and we had a very unusual reed section, we had a contrabass clarinet, two bassoons, no, four bassoons, uh, two oboes, English horn, four flutes and piccolo, four trumpets, four horns, and four trombones and a tuba, and uh, I forget, there's a bunch of it . . . We recorded it in the Chaffey High School, no, the Chaffey College little theater in uh, Alta Loma, California . . . For twelve hours we recorded it.
And Tim Carey again:

That's where our friendship stopped. Steve asked him what films he did. He said, "I did The World's Greatest Sinner, the world's worst film and all the actors were from skid row." It wasn't true. The press said I was the world's greatest ham, and that The World's Greatest Sinner was a travesty of the arts. Zappa didn't like that and he started to get on their bandwagon. The opening night at the directors guild, he was in complete awe. He walked into the window and banged himself in the head. He didn't even know there was a window there.

All above info from the best site on FZ filmography:
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... inner.html -&-
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/1961-63.html#WGS -&-
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Wo ... er_OS.html

Last edited by Gio. Shanger on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:24 pm 

FZ Music in TWGS:

- Primitive instrumental version of The World's Greatest Sinner (this is debatable)
- A melody that would appear at the beginning of Oh No from Lumpy Gravy (1968)
- The part right after "your ship of love is ready to attack" on Dog Breath, In The Year Of The Plague from Uncle Meat (1969)
- Some fragments of what later would be Holiday In Berlin

from: http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Wo ... er_OS.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes folks, TWGS is a bad film, but boy, oh boy, the soundtrack is worth every viewing second. PLUS, it's followed by the FZ-directed 200 Motels. When was the last time that a TV network dedicate time to TWO back-to-back FZ films? Never!!! Don't miss this amazing evening folks. Y'arrr!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on this. Of course I have 200 Motels, but its on an old VHS tape!

So, will Sky+ this bad boy fer sure.

CHEERS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:34 pm 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
FZ Music in TWGS:

- Primitive instrumental version of The World's Greatest Sinner (this is debatable)
- A melody that would appear at the beginning of Oh No from Lumpy Gravy (1968)
- The part right after "your ship of love is ready to attack" on Dog Breath, In The Year Of The Plague from Uncle Meat (1969)
- Some fragments of what later would be Holiday In Berlin

from: http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Wo ... er_OS.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes folks, TWGS is a bad film, but boy, oh boy, the soundtrack is worth every viewing second. PLUS, it's followed by the FZ-directed 200 Motels. When was the last time that a TV network dedicate time to TWO back-to-back FZ films? Never!!! Don't miss this amazing evening folks. Y'arrr!!!

Yup, in that clip on TCM's site, you can hear some Holiday Berlin going on. Very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:25 am 

Whilst checking the TV listings for this, my girlfriend asked me what I was doing. I said I was checking out what time 200 Motels was showing....

" Is that a film? " she asked. " Yes", I replied.. " Is it about Monopoly? " was her next question.....!

Priceless. Women eh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:51 am 

Remember folks, TCM shows their films uncut, commercial-free & at it's true aspect ratio. Yay!!!! They are archivists about their films that they screen. I love this network. Y'arrr!!!! Btw, they own the whole MGM film library. Since United Artists never released 200 Motels on DVD, get your mojo runin' & fire up your PVR's. Y'arrr!!!!

Aspect ratio for:
200 Motels = 1.66 (shot on 2" videotape & transfered to 35mm film in London; standard European aspect ratio)
TWGS = 1.85? (standard aspect ratio for north america); but, might be 1.37? (standard "academy aspect ratio" - ie, all film aspect ratios before 1953, when widescreen film started coming out)

I for one, can't wait. Can anyone ever even remember ANY TV network showning any FZ flic? I for one can't recall. Anyone else? Y'arrr!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:50 am 

polydigm wrote:
I downloaded those clips. Fuck, that is a bad movie.

All I meant to say there is that it is a bad movie, I wasn't implying no-one should bother with it. If I had a chance to buy a copy and watch it I would. It would be interesting to hear FZ's music in that context, I wouldn't just want to hear the music soundtrack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:10 am 

a zappa fun who don't whant to hear one of his soundtrack just don't make sence to me :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:37 pm 

Mmmmmmm..... am wondering if Gail knows about this 200 Motels broadcast.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:49 pm 

cleon wrote:
a zappa fun who don't whant to hear one of his soundtrack just don't make sence to me :?

Read my post, I'm saying I don't just want to listen to the soundtrack, I also want to hear it in the context of the movie it was written for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:20 pm 

I think I may be able to talk the wife into getting a DVD recorder before then. She's missing some of her shows too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 am 
Banned

Damn, I don't have cable/satellite.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 pm 

I'll probably just put it on a VHS tape.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:14 pm 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
Saturday, Oct 25 on TCM (ie: late Fri night - times E.S.T.) - TCM Underground show:

NB: TCM's schedule lists these two films being screened on Fri, Oct 24, but their daily schedule runs from 6am-6am, and not from 12am-12am, so even though TCM lists them as Fri, OCT 24, they are actually being screened early Saturday morning (Oct 25). OK? Y'arrr!!!!

Holy Crap, I've requested 200 Motels on TCM hundreds of times, guess they do listen.

Anyone else request it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm 

piperian396 wrote:
Gio. Shanger wrote:

Holy Crap, I've requested 200 Motels on TCM hundreds of times, guess they do listen.

Anyone else request it?

Not me. Scavenger Hunt, lots of times. I guess they're afraid of risky humor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
piperian396 wrote:
Gio. Shanger wrote:

Anyone else request it?

Not so fast... check your schedule again it looks like ZFT has struck again, I thin TCM has pulled the Zappa movies, check it out. Too Bad :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
piperian396 wrote:
Gio. Shanger wrote:

Anyone else request it?

Not so fast... check your schedule again it looks like ZFT has struck again, I thin TCM has pulled the Zappa movies, check it out. Too Bad :shock:

No, I just checked, it's still there. But it's not over yet, beware the long arm of Gail Zappa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:56 am 

Anyone know where to get blank VHS tapes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 am 

I hope you are correct, but my cable company has replaced the shows with "to be announced", so I think that they will not be aired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:34 am 

AbamiEdo wrote:
Anyone know where to get blank VHS tapes?

Wal-Mart or Target?