Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:37 am 

You can go to a second-hand store, buy a tape that's already used (and, always fun, see what the previous owner thought was worth taping) and use that. Or even buy a pre-recorded video.

Some stores will still carry them: discounts primarily. But they can charge beyond credibility for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am 

Found some blank tapes in my basement, now I just have to make sure the tape player works. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 am 

They're surprisingly strong! Our Orion has been working since '89. The sond recording broke only two years ago. We still use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:13 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I hope you are correct, but my cable company has replaced the shows with "to be announced", so I think that they will not be aired.

Well I have them on my DVR, apparently Gail didn't stop them. It makes sense though, I doubt it hurts Frank's musical legacy if his movie gets played on late night television.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:20 am 

Yes I have them on my DVR, good to see them again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 am 

I am so jealous... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 am 

I thought both of these movies were very good. My damn vhs recorder didn't work. Had to brew a pot of coffee at 2 am jsut to stay awake. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 pm 

AbamiEdo wrote:
I thought both of these movies were very good. My damn vhs recorder didn't work. Had to brew a pot of coffee at 2 am jsut to stay awake. :)

Btw folks, this showing of TWGS was its TV world premiere. WOW eh!!!! I can't remember when the last time 200 Motels played on dee tube. Let alone, a broadcast of TWO back-to-back FZ flics. THANK YOU TCM!!!!! Kudo's!!! Lets have more of this. Y'arrr!!! I watched the whole thingie FZ-stylee, with lots coffee & smokes!!! Y'arrr!!!

Btw, did anyone notice, as I did, that the copyright at the end of TWGS was listed as 1962, 1993, 2004. Guess the TWGS '93 & '04 copyrights refer to it's two video releases, which probably means they re-struck new film prints from the original A&B negatives, then did a film-to-video transfer? That's how its usually done, but not neccessarily how TWGS did it here. The transfer was very clean & sharp. I hardly saw any film print dust in the transfer, and, surprisingly included the films Academy Leader (8,7,6,5,4,3,beep), before the films first frames/opening shot. This print was the best I've ever seen on video ever. Kudo's to dee archivists over at TCM!!!! I would love to see a film print screening as well. Y'arrr!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:09 pm 

piperian396 wrote:
Holy Crap, I've requested 200 Motels on TCM hundreds of times, guess they do listen.

Anyone else request it?

Yeap, I have!!!! Plus, I have requested numerous other FZ flics. Run Home Slow, Uncle Meat & Baby Snakes just to name a few. It's real easy to do so. Y'arrr!!! Just go to dee TCM film webpage and request it, you don't have to log in or nothing. They've made it real easy, it's on dee right-hand side, under dee films main title text. They've gone farther then any other network so far. Why not push dee envelope folks. Go to it!!!! Y'arrr!!!!

Goto:
FZ filmography page - http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.js ... ction=more

Run Home Slow page (not listed in FZ filmography page) - http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=558467

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS - While UR at it, request that the film be released on DVD, if its not out yet (again, you don't have to log in or nothing). RHS, TWGS & 200 Motels are still not out on DVD yet. Imagine that folks, United Artists still has not released 2M on DVD yet. For shame UA!!!! Get your act together. Y'arrr!!!

Post subject: Copyrights!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:48 pm 

piperian396 wrote:
Well I have them on my DVR, apparently Gail didn't stop them. It makes sense though, I doubt it hurts Frank's musical legacy if his movie gets played on late night television.

That's right folks, Gail can't stop this screenings cuz ZFT doesn't own the films copyright. TWGS copyright is owned by Timothy Carey's production company Frenzy Films, and, 200 Motels is owned by United Artists. So you see folks the ZFT, has no say in the matter. TCM would of paid the rental/TV-rights fee to those two companies. So, unless FZ got residuals from that TCM deal (possibly for 2M), that's all the ZPT got from this.

Plus, just maybe, sales of FZ flics'n'music might have increased as a result of this grand exposure. Y'arrr!!! THANK YOU TCM!!!! Kudo's!!! Lets have more of this.

Post subject: Re: Copyrights!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 am 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
piperian396 wrote:

That's right folks, Gail can't stop this screenings cuz ZFT doesn't own the films copyright. TWGS copyright is owned by Timothy Carey's production company Frenzy Films, and, 200 Motels is owned by United Artists. So you see folks the ZFT, has no say in the matter. TCM would of paid the rental/TV-rights fee to those two companies. So, unless FZ got residuals from that TCM deal (possibly for 2M), that's all the ZPT got from this.

Plus, just maybe, sales of FZ flics'n'music might have increased as a result of this grand exposure. Y'arrr!!! THANK YOU TCM!!!! Kudo's!!! Lets have more of this.

Do you think she would stop them if given the chance?

I just requested Run Home Slow Right now. I should make a habit of requesting movies on TCM. There is always another movie I want to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:05 am 

If it,s not looking good it,s probably true,With Lumpy Gravy on it,s way out again :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:16 pm 

About every two to three weeks, I do a Zappa search on my DVR. I saw 200 Motels listed and recorded it. I was unaware that The Worlds Greatest Sinner was also playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:20 pm 

Here's what I ended up doing: Totally forgetting it and not recording it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Here's what I ended up doing: Totally forgetting it and not recording it at all.

Awww... sorry to hear that. Here, have some speculaas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:51 pm 

piperian396 wrote:
1. Do you think she would stop them if given the chance?

2. I just requested Run Home Slow Right now. I should make a habit of requesting movies on TCM. There is always another movie I want to see.

1. We will never know folks. If Gail ever had any problems with any ZFT-owned film being screened on TV, we would be the last to know. Say TCM wanted to screen Uncle Meat & she said know to that. We'll never hear about that, because its all internal office stuff. Y'arrr!!!

2. You should request films on TCM... I have been requesting TWGS, 2M & Run Home Slow for a while now. It does work folks. BTW, I have requested the whole FZ filmography. The more the merrier folks. Y'arrr!!! Request FZ flics over at TCM (just click "suggest this movie" button, located on the right side (3rd column), under the film title banner).
Start here at his filmography page: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.js ... ction=more
-&- Run Home Slow pages (it's not listed on his filmography page): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=558467