Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:59 am 

I just had my Video removed. -copyright infringment. :cry:

I think i will remove the Baby Snakes soundtrack and then re add my own, and upload what a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 am 

I'm very sorry to hear that, Flapper... I wish I'd seen it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am 

Flapper wrote:
I just had my Video removed. -copyright infringment. :cry:

I think i will remove the Baby Snakes soundtrack and then re add my own, and upload what a shame.

:idea: Maybe you could leave instructions along with your video so the people who own the record could still synchronize it by themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am 

Bing! Maroual, you are a star. *lightbulb* :wink:

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK "PLAY IN HIGH RESOLUTION". - you will also need to mute me talking in my English monotone! :D [Worryingly I sound a little like a cocaine snorting Londoner, I can assure you that is not the case]

However the only problem is when the CD track is separated the frames per second slip... Which means the clever time plays don’t quite match.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=50Aybqumh_A

Remember this is my first clay animation, my next will be better, But it wont be Zappa, which is a shame as I had already storyboarded and time sliced Dirty Love! There are loads of artists out there who don’t sue fans for tributes...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:13 pm 

Flapper wrote:
I can also see that anyone using Zappas name / image / sounds without permission gets slated. Obviously Zappas views on bootlegging and theft of his music are well known, I understand why. ...

It has always been like this with any of the arts. The problem is now more wide open, and visible than ever, because the Internet prevents everyone from hiding.

But if you use your own music, you don't need the "license", but if you use anyone else's you need their permission in written form. And it is a legal document when it comes around. I have had permission to use music by 3 different artists, and had no issues with any of them. If I ever have to redo those pieces, or distribute them, I may need to renew that permission, but I would made sure that they are given proper credit at the opening and closing of the piece.

There is a weird side ... I make a movie and I want to use 10 pieces of music, and 1 of them Gail declined ... and the movie gets made without it, and all of a sudden the movie hits it big ... and the only person that loses in that situation is Gail or the Trust, as it might help push some sales. But it is a hard thing to balance, because sometimes you do not know how it is going to come out. When I asked permission from one person ... I explained what I was doing ... he said ok. When I asked of a second one (big time famous, btw) ... he told me to jack off ... and I did something else similar. When I did a poetry piece over some music and asked permission, I got it, and it was on the Ygdrasil Journal's only Audio Issue 10 9 years ago. Another band from LA, knows that I have written some poetry to a couple of their pieces ... but they have not asked to listen to it ... I guess they are too much into their music thing to have any idea what the word "poetry" means ...

You can go round and roung and round all this ... and sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. I didn't enjoy RM telling me to screw off and don't bother him, specially when what I was doing was a compliment to The Doors' work, but I was not about to kiss their ass! And it was a school project! But then, he was not the "image maker" in that group ... EVER ... Jim was ... so him not accepting a film that had one of their pieces and allowing a film student to use it, was a total fucked up attitude towards the greed and the attitude they had about their riches and what not ... had nothing to do with what I was doing, or what was it about ... and you must consider that Jim and these guys started in film school ... visual .... think visual ... and R said no ... which to me, meant ... he was never the visionary anyway ... and his music projects show it! He has no poetry in his heart! He can color others!

I'll do something else ... to me, it was a vision and a sequence of images that made sense ... but the luck of the draw was ... it wasn't my music! And this is the part of the low class, under appreciated view of a lot of these rock'n'roll families ... they do not respect or care about the art itself enough to even ASK ... what is it all about? ... and consider it.

But it is their choice, and I have no issue with it.

I can write about Frank all day, and if Gail reads it fine, but I sure would love to make a few videos and show MTV that they are a bunch of kids masturbating to centerfolds and wouldn't know a video from anything else!

But if they don't respond ... fine ... I'll write another poem, and someone else will appreciate it. I'll pick up the film camera and do something else ... and in my book ... it's their loss, not mine!

Quote:
I am seeing that some of the videos are being removed or muted (copyright infringment).

And they should be removed, because so much of the stuff on Facebook, YouTube and other sites are grossly taking advantage of the whole thing.

However, in the end, the new dawn and time and place is here, and things like YouTube and many others will become the defacto advertising tool, so maybe it could be said that people removing those things from there ... will eventually hurt themselves more than otherwise. What they are protecting is preventing anyone else from seeing it ... it's like Apple would be the most stupid company in the world, not allowing that one guy to do an encore on iPad ... fudge ... I would have bought the rights to that for a commercial!

Or seeing that fudge group hurt Napster ... in the end, what did they accomplish? ... it's all digital and mp3's now!

It's stupid stuff done by lawyers and people with too much time on their hands and cocks and not enough creativity to appreciate some of the things out there and they are taking a "law" literally, when it was meant to be taken as a "guide line" ... not a "law".

It would be my hope that Gail has some people around her that have alternative and contradictory views to what she thingks ... so she can (hopefully) make wiser and more peprceptive decisions ... but in the end, that is her call, and her right ... and it is not for me to say that she isn't right.

But I have to tell you this ... my dad is further well known in Portuguese Literature, because my mom engineered the publishing of just about everything there is, and helping students with their PHd studies and many other things ... and that has been priceless and very important and in the end ... she accomplished more living without him, than he did in his lifetime, and he passed from us in 1979.

Who's to say, that Gail won't accomplish the same thing? But it is my opinion that for each NO, you have to say one YES, or in the end, all you have done is walk yourself into a corner ... and when it comes to creativity and artistry ... not allowing people to experiment and learn ... I would say is contrary to Frank's thinking ... !!!

Hope this helps ... doesn't make your video come alive, but it tells you ... WAKE UP ... use yor own inspiration and leave Frank behind it ... and besides, you might invent something new while at it ... and get a better response ... you just never know! But I seriously doubt I will ever ask Gail or Dweezil to use any of the Frank Zappa work, though I have wanted to use a couple of pieces before ... but I'm gonna use other artists, that are much hungrier, and appreciate the chance to be seen and heard and shown ... and make sure they get the credit they deserve and need and appreciate more than you and I know!

Last edited by Moshkito on Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm 

I really don't have a problem with them protecting his art (the Zappanale suit is pointless, however). It is just that they have a ton of stuff in the vaults that will likely never get out because the cost of producing it will never be made up by the relatively few people here that would pay for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I really don't have a problem with them protecting his art (the Zappanale suit is pointless, however). It is just that they have a ton of stuff in the vaults that will likely never get out because the cost of producing it will never be made up by the relatively few people here that would pay for it.

I think that's an illusion ... the costs these days are way smaller than before, and only idiots and megalomaniacs go to Abbey Road these days ... because Pro Tools (or other programs) and many other small studios within 10 miles of you can do ten times more and better ... without the waste of money and bullshit.

You don't think that Cakewalk, Pro Tools and all those folks releasing all those programs are just wasting their time, do you? By the time you read this, the first 20 albums that Frank released were not any better than what that street priced program can do these days ... don't let anyone else convince you otherwise!

Too many of us keep waiting for God to deliver new music ... or more Frank Zappa ... and 75 years later, we still haven't learnt ... Godot never comes! And the society that he comes from? ... never cared either!