Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gail vs. NPR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:17 pm 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =102907874

NPR radio/print piece on LUMPY MONEY...and beyond. And I guess beyond the tolerance of the ZFT as they...ah, read it for yourself:

"After our story aired, NPR was asked to take down the two Frank Zappa pieces we had been given permission to stream."

Post subject: Re: Gail vs. NPR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 pm 

Damn, I missed that story! I love NPR and listen all the time.
I need to scrape up some cash and get Lumpy Money.
Long live Frank's music.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 pm 

That's funny.

"The NPR - gonna get your number"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:05 pm 

it was nice to hear gail's voice again and ike. frank's music belongs to gail and her family. she and they have the official call on this. this i fully respect. frank's music will live on just as any other quality music standing the test of time. people will find a way to have interest in his music if they truly love it!

craig twister steward- former harmonica artist with frank zappa

john scialli [planetz] wrote:
gail's legal rationale (in part) is that any playing of frank's music in front of an audience is not a performance concert but a dramatic work and is not covered by the (music) performance license (i may be using the incorrect legal nouns)

i've no position on the subject. she was ok with me naming planet zappafrank

dr. john

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 am 

The context of that 8:41 story is a disservice to Frank Zappa's legacy.
The editorial nature is weighted in FOX/MSNBC more so than any Trendmongerian Diatribe.
I was surprised one low budget cover band guitarist made no mention of his ever popular Cool Aid
quote but then again what's about to spew forth from my keyboard could just as easily get a whipping.

On top of that for a forum member to then turn the proceedings into some
Gail vs. NPR topic is yet ever more derailing from getting Frank's music performed
for modern audiences with the deserved due diligence the composer demanded of his work.
Why are we not talking about what is paramount in getting FZs music recognition,
heard properly and the owners getting their due reward for performances of a composers work.

What would Frank Do?
Use his life work as an example
1) He got paid for his work.
2) He demanded perfection.

If certain business and performance guidelines were not met
Zappa simply would not allow performances to happen.
With regards to ASCAP commentary by these cover band performances
this seems like a joke when speaking of performances of large bodies of work from an American Composer
who always maintained a set of performance protocols.
What's next the Good Humor Ice Cream Truck Zappa Catalog.
Let's open a chain of Ice Cream Stores, make some rudimentary Zappa Cover Groups and or 1 touch Casio
Coffee Shops with supposedly live scenarios and try to get away with only paying ASCAP fees.

Am I perverting the state of cover bands yes but simply many just don't have the skills
to play on the highest level and I doubt they pay there weight to what the owners of that music deserve in licensing.
I think FZs work deserves performance guidelines ad licensing
that go above and beyond ASCAP rules.
Beatlemania/Zappamania Liverpool Legends/What's New In Baltimore.

I for one think it is fitting that all performances get specific licensing
and adhere to performance guidelines.

I for one can not accept use of a 818 Pumpkin phone message from Dec 1993
whereby placing the context of convenience as a promotional tool,
for seemingly the sole purpose of performing mass quantities of a composers work,
without giving necessary due diligence to the composers life long performance guidelines,
or in the case of this NPR editorial seemingly for the sole purpose of bundling of slpash media.

Yes, Splash Media - There's a shark in the water but it ain't no Yellow Shark.
The Cool Aid Fountain is flowing rapidly in that 8:41 story
but I don't think it's coming from Laurel Canyon.

NPR could have made an editorial
Seeking The Due Diligence of An American Composer
but No.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:37 am 

All I care about on this subject is ,DO NOT fuck with Ed Palermo!!, The new cd called ,Eddy loves Frank ,is due out june 3.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 am 

Trendy, Don't you see the elephant in the room?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:00 am 

It would be really nice if I could make a point here. But, I can't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 pm 

I like the Casio Coffee Shop bit. Can I use that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 pm 

brainpang wrote:

You sure it isn't a cow?
MOOOOOOOOO!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:28 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Trendmongerian Diatribe.

I like that description.........Really.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

Here is the 2cents I contributed to the NPR comments:

I think I know now why Frank spent so much time in the basment. All of us long time fans owe a nod of thanx to Gail for keeping Frank down there ,making music to escape her butt !
Gail freaked out right after Frank left for his last tour. She made friends with Al and Tipper Gore , the power couple Frank opposed during the PMRC hearings. She drank very expensive coffee in the White House ( I don't know if it was in the Lincoln bedroom or not, gotta check that out}. Shoot, Gail is in the $500,000 club with the DNC. There might just be an act of congress to make sure all the notes are proper when a constituit perfoms a musical composition by Frank Zappa. It will be known as "Gail's law".
Frank's money bought her lots of pull with the liberal elite. If she wanted to champion Frank's political leanings , she should have shilled for Ron Paul or one of the "third party" candidates.
I lost my respect for Gail 10 yrs. ago, when I logged on to zappa.com and was greeted with a Al Gore for president promo. I imagend Frank rolling in his grave as I hit the back icon on my netscape browser. Nothing suprises me when it comes to Gail proving her ego is even bigger than Franks. Frank didn't even care if he was remembered . He said so himself.

Then I ran out of space for my comment.
I don't think Frank didn't care if he was remembered or not. I think he was trying to say what is really important, is the the mark people who are in power make. Not some composer guy who made a living at his hobby.
Frank made a huge impact on my out look on life. Even though I didn't know him personally , I filter what I see and hear and read thru him , in a self appropriated free speech zone with in my mind. How much do I owe you for that,Gail ?
I'll be in the basment, looking for my brown lipstick,lemme know.
Rick in Detroit

A one and two and...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 am 

just plain doug wrote:
brainpang wrote:

You sure it isn't a cow?
MOOOOOOOOO!

shhhhhh!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
I for one think it is fitting that all performances get specific licensing
and adhere to performance guidelines.

I for one can not accept use of a 818 Pumpkin phone message from Dec 1993
whereby placing the context of convenience as a promotional tool,
for seemingly the sole purpose of performing mass quantities of a composers work,
without giving necessary due diligence to the composers life long performance guidelines,
or in the case of this NPR editorial seemingly for the sole purpose of bundling of slpash media.
NPR could have made an editorial
Seeking The Due Diligence of An American Composer
but No.

I for one don’t give a rats ass about what this guy thinks.

But the good news is that no one in the real world does either.
As any objective legal adviser would tell you and as GZ herself has learned the hard way: No one in the national or international legal system would take these claims seriously.

Let’s not even waste our time on the monetary claims - which are evidently groundless seeing as (regardless of what a dilettante might think) the ASCAP covers EXACTLY the type of performances in question....

Let us go right into the realm of the adherence to "performance guidelines”....

And let’s try to use our heads here for a change (I know - I might be asking for too much, but let’s give it a shot....)

Who is to decide which performers are good enough and diligent enough (‘diligence’ is definitely a key word here folks...) to play Frank's music?
Last time I checked - Frank was still absent, so who is qualified enough to make these decisions in his name?
Who will act as Central Scrutinizer and decide who can or can't play the music?
Trendy, the Anti-Zappa himself?? Of course not, let’s get serious here....
Perhaps the businesswoman who started all this nonsense? No, no... We need a musician for this job...
I know! Let the SON be the one to handpick and approve each musician or band who wants to play the music!
Because he is way more qualified than (and - goes without saying - has the authority to disqualify) any musician in the universe,
even one who, say, not only was handpicked and approved by FZ himself (chosen to play with him in his band!!!)
but has also spent years and years of rehearsing, performing, recording and being directed and taught by the composer himself...
thus learning every little bit of the composer’s intent and every single guideline that the composer ever had, directly from the composer himself (I’m sorry, I forgot to mention - the AMERICAN Composer himself....)
Ike Willis? Napoleon Murphy Brock? Ed Mann? Mike Keneally? Ray White? Are these guys qualified to perform Zappa’z music?
What a preposterous idea!!!
Oh... Wait a minute... We already gave our ZPZ-stamp-of-approval to Napi and Ray....
And they play with P/O and other cover bands that mama don’t like....
What are we gonna do now??
Help! Trendy! Please!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:47 am 

I always got the impression that Gail had the hump with non-ZPZ "tribute" bands as she didn't think they were good enough. Only her son would do.

However, she is quoted in Record Collector magazine saying that she doesn't care how badly they play the music. Perhaps she'll make up her mind whether she is defending the music (which many bands are playing very far from badly, and have every right to play) or trying to get money out of musicians who aren't making a fortune out of it - they just love playing it - but are doing her a favour by keeping interest in the music going so more actual ZFT releases are sold, which benefits her. I appreciate she must be pissed that Frank left her (died) - we all are - but trying to stop people playing his music without grovelling for specific permission from her is really selfish. She surely doesn't need money - if she was skint she wouldn't give money away. Or keep throwing it at lawyers.

ZPZ can't possibly satisfy the demand all by themselves. They are also expensive to see. It's in ALL our interests, including Gail's, for her to stop lashing out at anyone and everything doing something that she doesn't agree with. People do things I don't agree with every day. I don't have the money, the energy or the inclination to sue them all. Most importantly though, I don't have the grounds.

The money wasted on this would be better spent in enjoying the remainder of her life. Or getting stuff out of the vault while there's still time. I can't imagine anything being released after Gail's gone as she'd probably ban that. Maybe this IS how she enjoys herself. Sad.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:54 am 

Hmm... I remember reading in Guitar World Magazine way back in 2005 when ZPZ was just starting, that Dweezil wanted it to turn into a huge "Zappapalooza" kind of thing, with all different tribute bands, and ZPZ ending the night.

What happened to THAT?

(I'll post the quote in the article when I get home)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 am 

FaithfulZappa, you sure must be a long way from home - aren't you there yet?
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:12 pm 

Wow... sheez... I guess I kinda forgot about this... I was at school at the time, and it just slipped away. Well, I've got the article right here, so... here it comes.

DZ:

"My ultimate goal is to make it annual - build it into something of a Zappa convention. People who like Frank's music need to meet other people who like his music, because it really is a community in and of itself. There are a lot of bands who try to play Frank's music. At times that has been a problem, because sometimes they're not playing it too well, which does a disservice to the music. But I would like to have all these people be able to feel comfortable to be in one place. We could have multiple cover bands, and then the Zappa Plays Zappa thing can close the night. It could just be our own Zappapalooza. I think this will go a long way toward unifying the fan base and giving them a real official outlet for experiencing the music. We're not saying, "From now on, only listen to our version!" This should make you want to go back to Frank's albums and listen to the real stuff.

From "Guitar World" August, 2006.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm 

wow. I wonder what changed his mind...because this was a good idea. man, i might even have this mag meself. should have looked it up. it's sad that it didn't turn out that way--coulda been a real party!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:18 am 

Thats the way it should be!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 am 

dove_grey wrote:
wow. I wonder what changed his mind...

Mommy Dearist.

NO MORE WIRE TRIBUTE BANDS!!!!!!!!!

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:57 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
frank's music belongs to gail and her family

Fuck that. Franks music belongs to the world. You cant contain it. The rights to the music are another matter

Post subject: re: gail vs npr
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:19 pm 

joel osteen wrote:
slime.oofytv.set, never in a million fucking years wrote:
frank's music belongs to gail and her family

Fuck that. Franks music belongs to the world. You cant contain it. The rights to the music are another matter

misquote ... retract it, issue a public apology or yer ass will be sued faster than a cover band at zappanale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:29 pm 

hvacdude wrote:
Frank didn't even care if he was remembered . He said so himself.

But you are twisting how this is used and WHERE it is placed, in my book.

I think that Frank KNEW that he could not concentrate on his music, himself, his family, his business, and then some idealistic vision of how he was going to be remembered 50 years later ... not a single one of us can do that very well ... and in the end, some folks, like Frank, knew that they had to concentrate their efforts on the music, and not anything else -- or be so fucking spread out and scattered as to only make shitty music ... like most rock'n'roll bands in most clubs all over America, and calling it "prog" ... and don't go around thinking it was any better 40 years ago ... it wasn't!

There are many folks that "make it" younger, and some of them start worrying about their fame and legacy and what not ... the veritable "image" ... and you and I already know, and do not have to discuss that Frank was not an "image" ... his only "image" was his music! ... and if it takes him sitting on a stool to make his point! ... Good point!

You can only live with what you have. You might have dreams and ideas and loves ... but please be respectful of a person's choices and legacy ... Gail and the kids are the only people that can maintain and try and level off that legacy and make it work, for right or wrong, and we won't know the difference until way after you and I are just ashes blown away by the next tsunamy or the next war.

But you can control the way you want your work to evolve ... and just another garage band that supposedly plays "prog" is not what Frank was interested in ... but in finding the very special moments in music and expanding them and taking them to the next experience and level ... guess what? ... most people don't have the balls and will just be glad to play the Red Lion circuit for 5 years and then go start up a family while doing something else. All for what? ... a lack of understanding and dedication and appreciation for the music in the first place ... and someone like Frank, didn't quit. And couldn't quit. And it is pretty obvious that he lived the music inside and out and through it ... or it would not have lasted or survived, like so many Lost Angeles bands ... that no one gives a shit about that come and go, and sing about Michelangelo!