Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:57 pm 

KRosser is one lucky guy to have Trendmonger there, to explain things for him.
Come to think on it...so is MentalTossFlycoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm 

Well, I stand by my first post. IMO, it wasn't good, especially in light of the ZFT's high standards for non-ZPZ cover bands. But a clip does not a play make.

Will I go see the entire production if I ever get the chance?

Absolutely. It's Zappa. :lol:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 am 

just plain doug wrote:

Another example of where you have no clue.
I have not explained anything for KRosser.
I have not seen and I am not giving a critical analysis on the play.
Regardless I see there should be some fine optimism
IF future shows aver make it anywhere be it if it
makes it to broadway the hardway whereby retracing
Mark TWains Footprints or myraculously gets major finacial backing
bringing it directly to Broadway..

Seriously as I had explained I had seen a really cheapo
version of Joe's Garage about 15 years ago.
No band. I mean i went in with optimism at that time
for many a long time Zappa fan has hoped for a long long time
for a theatrical performance of this play but unfortunately
that production was just weak where I can not offer anything
all that positive as to why that method of a production should continue.

While I have not seen the Open Fist production what I can feel confident
about is wearing a hat of optimism for what they have done.
With media coverage, what the ZFT have given us and based on some commentary from some
people I have confidence in I can minimally state what was done is something
that one should hope would continue again some day as opposed to spewing
out negativity.

So these fans that come here spewing of negativity
it was easy for me to think that character in Slumdog Millionare
was looking and smelling a whole lot better than some of the assholes around here
for the shit that reeks out of their fanaskeptasaureous brains has absolutely
no insight whatsoever into Franks vision for that as a play.

And I have also witnessed and video taped live performances of Joe's Garage
that had alumni ejectamenta in them. Those tapes sit around molding because the performances
are not something that should get spread around. At the time I was hoping it could be
an interesting video document that I would bring to the attention of ZFT but I don't think
there is anything worth their time in even viewing that. While there were some interesting moments
where as a fan at that time that was about all one could get in live Zappa rock orientated entertainment
in my area in retrospect it just lacked so much of live performance standards. Many fans still
hold hope for certain alumni to be involved with ZPZ, one never knows if a Joe's Garage ZPZ
project would open a window of opportunity.

I don't see that band that had done Joe's Garage in it's entirety doing it anymore because I think they well realize
when a band goes out and does a project performance the microscope comes out showing the many imperfections.
But then again there could be legal reasons as to why they're not doing it.
I will tell you this, it is far easier to poke holes in comparing that live performance to the record
as compared to anything of video documentation I have seen musically about the Open Fist production.
Certainly the recent Chicago performances put on The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen Employees' Union Memorial Band (Chicago Chapter)
were no where near perfect in musical performance. While entertaining one can really tell choreograph was close to extinction.
It reminded me of Zappa Meets Devo. Oh well I am sure some Chicago folks enjoyed the music but that was not the play folks.

If and when ZPZ does Joe's Garage when one talks about LP Project Fidelity
I have a good feeling Unexpected Perfection will be what's in store.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:45 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
While I am sure Mark Twain had his own set of critics searching for a Packard Goose that flourished between November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910
I am sure he was fortunate to not have the slum dogs of the internet .
Some of these Zappa fans truly look as if their eyes have been burned out by Fanatical Want of Zappa in their own prefect vision of what they want Frank Zappa to be.
Be it IF the production ever makes it's way to Broadway the Hard Way passing through Florida Missouri, Redding Connecticut , a place somewhere along the way where Mark Twain may have had his hair cut, stopped for a coffee, contemplated The Calender and possibly even spent a considerable amount of time in any given location advocating the wearing of Dark Clothes or if it should be so fortunate to directly receive some serious backing that would enable the production to get to NYC without
serious holdback for the payment of escalated bridge and tunnel tolls and but also all those ever so special union fees the theater goer only need apply to have an open mind...

That sounds like explaing things for him, to me.
Maybe if you wrote more succinctly...?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:48 am 

That's the problem with Trendy. This is a forum, who wants to read overlong, convoluted explanations. Even when I see his point, it is too much work to read it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:07 am 

tweezers wrote:
That's the problem with Trendy.
This is a forum, who wants to read overlong, convoluted explanations.
Even when I see his point, it is too much work to read it all.

No hostility intended but if you don't want to read what I have to say don't read it.
I tend to spin that Conceptual Continuity into so much of what i do.
That just gets the thought process reeling where it takes space but their is lots of
space and viewing cleaning tools that one can use if my comments are not their idea of a good time..
Most of my posts have a whole lot less than 60,000 character limit.

As far as the Forum

Message body:
Enter your message here, it may contain no more than 60000 characters.

You also can use all different fonts and colors.
It's not like I am blowing the spacial proportions of the entire topic
such as many forum users had done in the past where that
child hood behavior ruins the topic for everyone.
It is pretty easy fro any forum user who has grown tired of my commentary
to FOE me or scroll and the topic remains in tact.

Just take a look at the negative commentary in response to how I started the topic.
Forum User replies of my topic being repeated information and the use of colors and bold font.
What was so wrong about how I started this topic. Some folks are just looking
for anything to complain about me. Like a bunch of Yentas complaining there s not enough free
napkins and ketchup on the dinner tables in Florida.
It's a joke this forum s filled with tens of thousands of repeated content topics.
This Topic was created as a means for people to content on their celebration.
Some people early on just brought some extremely fowl shit to this party.
The Slumdog Milionaire breathed of more optimism in a pile of shit than
some of these fans here.

O saya SlumDog Millionaire HD version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgaiG6b0EVQ

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 am 

Guess I never knew about the character limit :)

No offense taken. I learn other viewpoints about FZ here, and it is a nice diversion from work. I don't 'flame' and I am too old to give a shit about what others think of me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:32 am 

No problem, Trendy. I accept your απολογία.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Hell yeah. If I didn't have Mongstrosity to throw rocks at, I'd have quit out of sheer boredom a long time ago. But as it is, our little perpetual motion machine is spewing crap at such a fantastic rate that I didn't even have to bring up the original point that brought me to this thread, which was:

What the fuck does Jeff Beck have to to with Joe's Garage?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:34 pm 

Maybe after the band broke up, Jeff rented it to work on a couple o' rods. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Hell yeah. If I didn't have Mongstrosity to throw rocks at, I'd have quit out of sheer boredom a long time ago. But as it is, our little perpetual motion machine is spewing crap at such a fantastic rate that I didn't even have to bring up the original point that brought me to this thread, which was:

What the fuck does Jeff Beck have to to with Joe's Garage?

You apparently have him on ignore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:08 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

What an amazing, influential record this was for me.

I'm pretty sure the only reason JB and JG shared this thread is that they coincidentally happened to be celebrating milestones at the same time (in addition to sharing Terry Bozzio)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:57 pm 

Hey guys - it's a fucking play! Based on a Zappa record! It isn't going to sound like the record or look like whatever little ideal you tooled up in your own mind. It is someone else's interpertation of a Zappa album. Get over it! The fact that it exists at all is exciting. The fact that producers were willing to risk money to bring something based on a Frank Zappa enterprise is hopefull. I mean come on! I have been fanatically into Zappa music since I was 14 - (That's 39 years now!) - hello! A musical production based on Joes Garage? Please - let more of this happen. Be critical in a righteous way - but please - let the man's music and legacy enter the pantheon of American musical territory where artists of all stripes and considerations can perform it and expose it to new hungry audiences. This is important music! It needs to be heard and foistered upon young ears. It needs to be done to what Frank did to the music he loved. That's why you have Frank Zappa music in the first place. Music doesn't just sit there and wait. It gets picked up by other artists who re-invent it and twist it and make new music out of it. That's what Frank did with Stravinsky and so many others. Think of what cool music can come out of some young composer who's into Zappa. Go with the times! Dweezil is keeping his dad's flame alive - nothing wrong with young artists using Frank as a starting point for their own musical explorations! That's how Frank started! He was really really good at it. Others might argue to the contrary. But he did what you guys seem to hate others doing. He used the inspiration and hard work of other composers as a starting point for his own musical explorations. He borrowed ideas and concepts from other composers. He retooled them and made them his own in the end - but he didn't just emerge as "Frank Zappa" - he had a lot of influences and help from other people before he found his niche.

Give some of this other stuff a chance. Let it progress. Do you really think these people are staging things using Frank's music just to make money? I mean - come on ---- if money is your chief concern - are really going to turn to the Zappa catalogue to fullfill that dream? No way! There has to be a fondness for the music to even contemplate such a venture. And raising money for such a venture must be a bitch!

Good - bad - in between - any Zappa production that at leasts attempts to realize it's force of nature is a good thing. Exposure to the man's music is a good thing for modern civilization. The quality of that exposure is up to the artists involved and the audience that responds to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:55 am 

murphcoveinn wrote:
Do you really think these people are staging things using Frank's music just to make money?

Let the record show - this was an Equity-waiver production. For those who aren't familiar with the term, it means the actors and crew agree to do it for less than Actor's Equity rates. There are strict procedures as to how to comply with these guidelines.

In addition, everyone in the band did it for less than union scale for a small theater. I personally did it for much less than I would normally charge and turned down gigs paying four times the amount just to keep my involvement consistent. And I wasn't the only one.

For some reason, some people feel a need to establish an inversely proportional relationship between the 'amount paid' vs. 'depth of sincerity', which I think is kind of immature at best, but if you need to make it the cast were the poster children for 'depth of sincerity' in this case.

;)

Last edited by KRosser on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 am 

murphcoveinn wrote:
let the man's music and legacy enter the pantheon of American musical territory where artists of all stripes and considerations can perform it and expose it to new hungry audiences. This is important music! It needs to be heard and foistered upon young ears.

Tell that to the ZFT and their anti-tribute-band stance.

I agree with you: the more people playing FZ's music, the better. Having said that, I know that I will hear renditions that I like and renditions that I dislike. The JG musical falls into my dislike category. And I will admit that I have an anti-musical bias; the arrangements and emoting of most musicals often seem plastic and forced to me.

Oh well, can't please everyone, right?