Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: my dinner with jimi
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:06 pm 

i heard about this indie film a couple years back, and even though i knew it wouldn't be earth-shattering (or even good), i put it in my netflix queue and waited for it to be released.

i got it the other day...it's not completely stinkeroo. some scenes are kind of enjoyable.
the main reason i knew of this film was because it had been discussed here and a "frank zappa" facsimile would be in it. he's not very good. but i knew that going in. adam tomei plays him, but i kept getting distracted by the awful wig he was wearing--as a matter of fact, almost ALL the wigs were god awful. seriously, if they wanted to be faithful to 60's fashion, why not pay attention to what was on their heads?

anyway, if you want to check it out, watch the movie with the commentary on! the producer (who's name escapes me) and writer (one howard kaylan) give some great insight and are great fun to listen to. howard points out which moments never happened and what dialog came from real life.

the big "star" is george wendt as the turtles manager. (howard's neighbor from years ago.)

the one actor who really shines here is curtis armstrong (yep, "booger" from revenge of the nerds), who portrays herb cohen, of all people. small part, but he's good in it.

sorry to be such a bore, but hopefully it'll save some of you some bucks. the producer mentions he didn't want to make a vh1 type movie--but that's what this is, really.

justin henry (the kid from "kramer vs. kramer") is howard kaylan, and he's not bad...very tv version.
jason boggs is mark volman....hmmmm....there are two scenes where he's very funny and captures flo quite well.
finally (at last), royale watkins plays jimi hendrix---and he ain't bad! he really resembles him, and sounds a little bit like him. the "actors" who are the beatles---AWFUL.

for the curious, sure, rent it. i don't feel like i wasted 90 minutes. and like i said, if you rent it, watch with the commentary, much better that way.

Post subject: Re: my dinner with jimi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm 

i always thought zach galifanakis should play howie in a movie about the mothers. he looks just like him! slap on a long hair wig, and thats all you need!

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:59 pm 

hmm...never thought of that. the wig'll have to be grey, though. :mrgreen: