Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:47 pm 

The Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles. is presenting a fun group of them in a series called "Riot on the Sunset Strip Vol. II: Slight Return (To 1966)." The films include "It's a Bikini World" with '60s rockers the Animals, the Castaways, the Gentrys and the Toys, a very rare showing of "The Big TNT Show" with the Byrds, Bo Diddley, Ike and Tina Turner and Ray Charles (and produced by Phil Spector), another rarity in "Uncle Meat" with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and "Angel Angel Down We Go" with Jennifer Jones, Roddy McDowall and Lou Rawls. the final film, "Candy," from 1968, with Richard Burton, Marlon Brando, John Huston, James Coburn and Ringo Starr. It's hosted by Domenic Priore, author of "Riot on Sunset Strip: Rock'n'Roll's Last Stand in Hollywood." The series runs July 31 through Aug. 6.

Sunday, August 2 – 7:30 PM

UNCLE MEAT, 1987, 100 min. Frank Zappa began directing The Mothers of Invention’s one and only movie, UNCLE MEAT, less than two years after the group debuted at the Action on Santa Monica Boulevard (Halloween weekend, 1965), but it did not see release until 1987. Colorful footage from their "Absolutely Free"-era residency at the Garrick Theater in New York, and from the Sgt. Pepper/psychedelia-mocking "We’re Only in it for the Money" album cover shoot is mixed with orchestral bits from a 1968 concert at London’s Royal Festival Hall. The running monster gag stars band keyboardist Don Preston with office gal Phyllis Altenhaus; they eventually get into the shower for a hamburger massage. Zappa’s soundtrack (packaged in 1969 with a telling Cal Schenkel assemblage) set the agenda for art rock, its torque showing the consequences of reducing people to objects – the system treating human labor (therefore, life, aka "meat") as a commodity. Footage of early Mothers Ray Collins, Roy Estrada, Jimmy Carl Black, James "Motorhead" Sherwood, Ansley Dunbar, Billy Mundi, Artie Tripp, Lowell George, Bunk Gardner and Ian Underwood winds up presaging Richard Linklater’s 1991 flick SLACKER, plus you get Rodney Bingenheimer, Linda Ronstadt and others along for the ride at the legendary Hollywood Ranch Market on Vine Street. Bitchin’ camerawork by director of photography Haskell Wexler.

"Cafe L.A.: The Beat Generation in Los Angeles" Approx. 60 min. Produced by Domenic Priore and Brian Chidester. This now-updated 850-image slideshow brings you inside the coffeehouses and jazz joints of the greater Los Angeles area during the 1955-1965 era. Done with a local geography spin, the presentation is inspired by KNXT's "Ralph Story's Los Angeles" and Mike Salisbury's visual montage work in the Los Angeles Times' old (1966-1972) West magazine supplement. We go from Santa Barbara to Laguna Beach down the coastline, then north through Tustin, Buena Park, Pasadena, into Silver Lake, downtown L.A., a bit over to Western Avenue, South Central, up Fairfax and La Cienega and out to Sunset Strip. Beatniks in Venice, jazz and R&B pioneers downtown, pop artists on Restaurant Row and the earliest stages of folk-rock and psychedelia on the Strip are all captured, with a final run at the end of the artists on the L.A. scene. Introduction and live slideshow narration by Domenic Priore, author of Riot on Sunset Strip: Rock 'n' Roll's Last Stand in Hollywood and Beatsville.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 am 

After they show this, does anyoe think they will finally release the DVD??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 am 

tweezers wrote:

Well, I was there last night and GZ spoke before and after the movie. She said they would be releasing it on DVD, but did not give a time frame (As far as I remember).

She did say they are releasing the Roxy DVD and should have an announcement about it later this year!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW, The Aero Theatre in Santa Monica is showing a double bill of 200 Motels and Baby Snakes on August 27, more info here:

http://www.americancinematheque.com/arc ... 0%20MOTELS

(Edited to add the above info)

Last edited by The Former Andy De Vine on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 am 

The Former Andy De Vine wrote:
tweezers wrote:

Well, I was there last night and GZ spoke before and after the movie. She said they would be releasing it on DVD, but did not give a time frame (As far as I remember).

She did say they are releasing the Roxy DVD and should have an announcement about it later this year!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

THE GREATEST NEWS FLASH EVER, THANK YOU KIND SIR!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
Banned

tweezers wrote:

OK and was GZ talking about the original Roxy or the 2008 ZPZ show at the Roxy thats supposed to be released this year?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:03 pm 

Diesel Dummy wrote:
tweezers wrote:

OK and was GZ talking about the original Roxy or the 2008 ZPZ show at the Roxy thats supposed to be released this year?

Good question, but definitely the original Roxy, as she talked about the problems they had syncing the sound and video and that FZ had filmed it but didn't do anything with it as he didn't like the results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 am 

GZ spoke before and after the movie. She said they would be releasing it on DVD, but did not give a time frame (As far as I remember).

She did say they are releasing the Roxy DVD and should have an announcement about it later this year!! [/size]

Yes keep in mind FZ applied overdubs to the Roxy & Elsewhere album.
When it comes to the audio tapes I think we are going to hear something quite different
than what we are accustomed on the LP. Additionally modern video editing technology
may very well have given FZ a different perspective on moving the project forward.

Peace

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:12 am 

Agreed Trendy, we can guarantee that the Roxy DVD will be different than we have imagined it from listening to that LP since, what, 1974?

It will still be a revelation and is amongst the true jewels that we know are in the vault - and we all will buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:33 am 

tweezers wrote:
Agreed Trendy, we can guarantee that the Roxy DVD will be different than we have imagined it from listening to that LP since, what, 1974?

It will still be a revelation and is amongst the true jewels that we know are in the vault - and we all will buy it.

Yeah I could imagine Frank doing overdubs in the 80s where if that is what is to be used
the fans will complain until cows fly backwards while playing Eddie Van Hallen's Eruption.

I for one hope no digital drum overdubs ever touched the audio tapes that will be used fro the DVD.
I'll gladly take the errors and or whatever sonic problems the original tapes may reveal.
Mind you FZs overdubs on the box sets never bothered me all that much because
I have both and can listen to them from any given production perspective.

It seems as if Gail stated FZ was unhappy about something but do we specifically know what that
something is? Are we to assume just because Roxy & Elsewhere has overdubs that FZ was just not
all that happy with playback of the basic field recordings. Could it be that the overdub team FZ would have wanted for all
4 hours of ROXY material was just not project feasible to produce fro a video project that he knew he may never finish.
Oh this is all speculative. Would whatever it is that something that FZ did not like is would that something improve
with modern HD Audio transfer & mastering? Possibly just look at how good Wazoo sounds given that it was basically a 4 track field recording
and FZ most certainly released tons of live 1984 material without ever releasing Wazoo.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am 

I am betting the problems have to do with the synching technology that FZ had to work with. Even in the '80s he would have had problems with tape speed. These things can be fixed now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 am 

tweezers wrote:
I am betting the problems have to do with the synching technology that FZ had to work with. Even in the '80s he would have had problems with tape speed. These things can be fixed now.

Yes that is obviously one of the problems with producing a two minute or 4 hour video
but FZ most certainly felt it was necessary to apply overdubds to the 2 LP
Roxy & Elsewhere record. Maybe Kerry McNab had some discussion with FZ
during the ReMixing phase. I assume in time when the DVD is released there will be some
form of liner notes that explains some production elements of both what FZ did and what is done today.
Baby Snakes did inlcude such where they had found some QUAD taped they used to create the surround
MIX so the ZFT certainly have a history of giving liner notes that talk of all this engineering stuff.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
...while playing Eddie Van Hallen's Eruption...

I notice you have been continually spelling "Van Halen" with two "L"s. Is that to avoid copyright infringement?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 pm 

tweezers wrote:

I hope so. I lent my original (not copied) vhs copy to a friend who subsequently lost it at some other guy's house during a party. We're still friends, but a DVD would certainly make things better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 am 

i don't think the release of ROXY will have enough sonics involved and will probably stink.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 am 

Well, JayP, if it does stink, and comes out this year, I will at least have heard and seen it before I die.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
i don't think the release of ROXY will have enough sonics involved and will probably stink.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:47 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
[...] and FZ most certainly released tons of live 1984 material without ever releasing Wazoo.
Could it be that he realized that the tape that was to become WAZoo is full of mistakes, which the '84 material isn't -- Train your ears, boy, listen, then speak again 8) :)