Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I"m still debating though. I have a pretty good copy right now.

I still have my original VHS, hermetically sealed in an airtight, waterproof, radiation proof, kevlar lined case. I wasn't sure if we might go for THE BIG ONE at some point so I figured I better keep it safe. Actually it isn't quite my original VHS, that one got eaten by a defective VCR, this is it's replacement. :wink:

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:06 am 

ha! i keep my VHS copy in my fire proof safe as well! :mrgreen:

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 pm 

I ripped my VHS to a DVD and I've got 2 copies of it, one to play and one to keep with some other movies I want to keep safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Well, not sure about that revised release date at the Voiceprint site anymore as I now have my copy from them. Looks a little better than my old VHS copy, and the Director's audio commentary is pretty interesting.

How's the restoration work done, TIB, does it look spiffy? No artifacts, judder or 16:9 gimmickry? I wonder how they could get sonics improved with the audio presumably being taken from an age-old 35mm print or simply the 1997 MGM silver disc :P (?!?)

I taped my version from a sub-titled Cable-TV broadcast in around 1992, which still (kinda) looks phantastic, couldn't stand being fed with a Voiceprint-ish sub-standard release riddled with digititis from beginning to end :)

buff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 am 

Tony Palmer claims to have access to the masters so his implication I guess is that this release is produced using those masters. If not, why brag about having them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Well, not sure about that revised release date at the Voiceprint site anymore as I now have my copy from them. Looks a little better than my old VHS copy, and the Director's audio commentary is pretty interesting.

How's the restoration work done, TIB, does it look spiffy? No artifacts, judder or 16:9 gimmickry? I wonder how they could get sonics improved with the audio presumably being taken from an age-old 35mm print or simply the 1997 MGM silver disc :P (?!?)

I taped my version from a sub-titled Cable-TV broadcast in around 1992, which still (kinda) looks phantastic, couldn't stand being fed with a Voiceprint-ish sub-standard release riddled with digititis from beginning to end :)

buff.

The Different Covers
Warner Home Video PEV 99498 VHS (UK), as seen on eBay:

I got that one Luck a guy knocked my house with it brand new then saying he likes Zappa but that film was a little odd for his blood so he give it too me.
ARRF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 am 

polydigm wrote:
Tony Palmer claims to have access to the masters so his implication I guess is that this release is produced using those masters. If not, why brag about having them?
Yepp, seems though he doesn't have access to the original multitrack sound recordings, since they happen to sit in the vault underneath Woodrow Wilson Dr., according to geee zeeee, no? And what's a 2010 digital 200 Ms re-release without drastically improved, state-of-the-art visuals and high-res. /cleaned-up acoust-nicks?! A semi-official bootleg /grey market affair, seen a hundred times at ebay in the last couple of lustrums -- :?

Ya see, my expectations turn out to be somewhat muffled, also judging from the cobbled-together, scan-and-add-preset-typeface aroma of the artwork 'n stuff - this, to me, is looking more like a low-profile private release, but hey, what do I know? :)

Hope they gonna prove me wrong, though, maybe this is a top-notch dts 5.1 hunk housed in some nerdy shareware CGI exterior. :P

EDIT

16:9 :|

Ouch! This one's hurtin'

I knew it was crap! Jeeeez, if this is true: Don't buy that shit!!!!

I didn't expect those clowns to be that ignorant :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
Yepp, seems though he doesn't have access to the original multitrack sound recordings, since they happen to sit in the vault underneath Woodrow Wilson Dr., according to geee zeeee, no?

I've always been under the impression it was one of the masters FZ never owned. Might be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 am 

Thought they were working on a high-res (4-D [??]) transfer of at least the orchestral portions of 200 Motels. This is at ZFT headquarters, of course. Or maybe I dreamt that up.. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm 

...anyway, I got my copy today. Not blown away, largely because the sound is still murky, but the commentary is interesting, partly because Tony isn't really enamored with Zappa and basically doesn't really get modern classical music. He does however like The Beatles, who are geniuses, obviously. On the plus, I guess this is probably as good as the picture is going to get - I can't see HD making any difference since it was filmed on video.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm 

evildick wrote:
...anyway, I got my copy today. Not blown away, largely because the sound is still murky, but the commentary is interesting, partly because Tony isn't really enamored with Zappa and basically doesn't really get modern classical music. He does however like The Beatles, who are geniuses, obviously. On the plus, I guess this is probably as good as the picture is going to get - I can't see HD making any difference since it was filmed on video.

Well, that's a no for me then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
evildick wrote:

Well, that's a no for me then.
Cheapo transfer -- don't touch me, go away.. 8)

Thanx for the overview, evildick -- Did they really have the nerve and chop the entire thing up into 16:9? :shock:

evidick wrote:
I can't see HD making any difference since it was filmed on video

Don't egree on this, evidick, I've seen video-, 16mm and even early 20th century film pioneering material transferred to HD, and it's looking gorgeous! Nothing's looking bad enough not to fundamentally benefit from a HD transfer, I tend to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 am 

Not sure why 16:9 - which is universal to high-definition television and European digital television - makes this 'crap', buffalo_voice. On my HD TV, it looks the same (size & shape) as The Drummers Of FZ DVD. As Evil rightly says, though, the sound is still murky and the picture quality not amazing. But I think this is the best we're gonna get for the forseeable future. Worth it for the commentary alone, I'd say - you wouldn't get that on a ZFT approved version.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:47 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Not sure why 16:9 - which is universal to high-definition television and European digital television - makes this 'crap', buffalo_voice.

'Cause it's a 4:3 movie with some moron adding a matte on both ends of the screen to make it look 'modern', thus sacrificing roughly 1/4 of the material's visual information for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON other than complete ignorance-- 8) :P :|

PATHETIC NONSENSE, imho
You wouldn't buy a remastered version of a 40'00'' album which now is abruptly terminating at 27'40, would you? C'mon . . . .
:)

And -- for a punchline -- it isn't even HD <rimshot> :P

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
On my HD TV, it looks the same (size & shape) as The Drummers Of FZ DVD.

Now, this was shot in 16:9 for a website in...uh...dunno...2006 -- can't see how this relates to a 1971 theatrical release --
This is not to say it's not better than nothing, no doubt I would enjoy it myself, simply because the material itself is hilarious
8)

Thinman, please help me --

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:01 pm 

buffalo_voice wrote:

evidick wrote:
I can't see HD making any difference since it was filmed on video

Don't egree on this, evidick, I've seen video-, 16mm and even early 20th century film pioneering material transferred to HD, and it's looking gorgeous! Nothing's looking bad enough not to fundamentally benefit from a HD transfer, I tend to believe.

Well, I admit I'm no expert Mr Buffalo Voice. I'm just of the opinion that the original 'old school' video technology was a bit clunky and HD might just heighten the imperfections. Hopefully one day we'll find out and it will look miles better! I agree with the Idiot though; the commentary is interesting if a bit meandering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm 

The '97 Ryko CD edition apparently only sold 10,000 copies worldwide and has been OOP for a few years now. So the fact that we're even getting a DVD release of this movie is a miracle and is probably the only semi-official or official release that will be issued, guys...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
[...]and is probably the only semi-official or official release that will be issued, guys...
..butchered to 16:9, AAAAHHHWGGHHH -- :)

evildick wrote:
Well, I admit I'm no expert Mr Buffalo Voice. I'm just of the opinion that the original 'old school' video technology was a bit clunky and HD might just heighten the imperfections.

I'm pretty much of a low-tech sort, e.d., yet after my -4,5 dpt. lens-encrusted eyeholes spied a mile-high difference even on age-old, threadbare material , I'm sure we'd both be drooling over a HD, 4:3 '200 Motels' with remastered sonics :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:20 am 

buffalo_voice, is it really a 4:3 movie? According to IMDb, it's 1:66:1. Perhaps you're saying we should see the original 2 inch video footage before it was transferred to 35mm and 'butchered' for cinema release? Forgive my ignorance on this, but I really don't think Tony Palmer has produced a crap DVD here. While I agree it would be great to see an HD sonically enhanced version, what are the chances of that happening in our lifetimes?

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 pm 

Ever was. :)

Image Image

Also as far as I remember, it wasn't 'matted' during 35mm production, could be a very slight matte, though, like 1,37:1, I'm not exactly sure....
Definitely not 1:66:1 (or 15:9), which is only a smidgin away from standard widescreen format

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm 

I dont know if it a myth that film directors prefer too Film mabye(video)in 16.9 for many years and slap it too 4.3 for viewers :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 pm 

evildick wrote:
buffalo_voice wrote:
Yepp, seems though he doesn't have access to the original multitrack sound recordings, since they happen to sit in the vault underneath Woodrow Wilson Dr., according to geee zeeee, no?

I've always been under the impression it was one of the masters FZ never owned. Might be wrong.

I had that impression too.
If the ZFT have it, it doesn't sound like that's what Ryko used on their release.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:25 am 

...Uh, wish I could remember where, but didn't I read somewhere that the ZFTs are working on (or are considering working on... :wink: ) an new (5.1?) mix from the original orchestral multitracks? I always understood that these were sitting in the vault, as opposed to the MGM-owned master tapes ... but, again, what do I know as a softcore-zappa-guy?!?
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:54 am 

Okay, here's a still from the new Palmer DVD:

Doesn't look like there's very much missing (comparing this to the YouTube screenshot above).

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Okay, here's a still from the new Palmer DVD:

Doesn't look like there's very much missing (comparing this to the YouTube screenshot above).

Strange...that's looking like a 4:3 image squeezed to 16:9 due to a wrong tv setting (panorama zoom etc.) more than anything else -->note the incorrectly rendered proportions, Jeff's looking kinda fat etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:00 pm 

Yes, I did wonder if they'd stretched the image in some way...which I guess counts as butchering!

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next