Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
Yeah, TIB, seems like that is the case -- I think I for now gonna stay with my subtitled, home-taped, T.V. broadcast version -- hope the ZFT's gonna have some fun remastering the stuff from a mint-conditioned color print and the original multitracks, some day
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
buffalo_voice wrote:
Yeah, TIB, seems like that is the case -- I think I for now gonna stay with my subtitled, home-taped, T.V. broadcast version -- hope the ZFT's gonna have some fun remastering the stuff from a mint-conditioned color print and the original multitracks, some day
:D


Why, when it will be released by other companies every two years?

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
Grammy-Award for best packaging?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
Ok, I just got mine and watch it thoroughly.
It's much better than my old VHS with two drops in the sound level near the end and very approximate french sub-titles.
The sound on this DVD is not too good but they did not do no miracle for the CD release either, so...
This is not 16:9 at all, except for the menu, it's good old 4:3 and nothing is missing.
Nothing except a few seconds at the end of Penis Dimension, just after Howard says:"Eight inches or less?"
It misses Mark's reply:"Well let me tell you, brothers, that's the time when you've got to turn around and look that sonofabitch right between the eyes, and you got to tell him these words:"
And a bit of Ringo's:"I stuff three pair of socks and a bar of beauty soap down in front of my pants!"
But...
So, it's great that this incredible movie is at last available on DVD but if the ZFT was able to release it with a remastered picture and surround audio some day, of course, I would buy it once more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
...
ZackGlickman wrote:
This is not 16:9 at all, except for the menu, it's good old 4:3 and nothing is missing.

And why, then, has the cover artwerg and everyone here been telling me so ?!? :| :P

...for weeks ?

...and made me look like a moron? :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
To look more Up to date?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
:D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: The Short Forest
The Tony Palmer version has a 4/20 release date for US buyers. $15 with shipping, I'll take one. Have had an almost unwatchable VHS rental dub for years. Time for an upgrade. Like mentioned if the ZFT ever does a deluxe box set version, I'd buy it again.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... tyle=movie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm
Posts: 4
ON SALE NOW in the USA
http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo ... 1-TPDVD127


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
I'm still not getting it.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6265
Location: Your Mom's Box
ZackGlickman wrote:
Ok, I just got mine and watch it thoroughly.
It's much better than my old VHS with two drops in the sound level near the end and very approximate french sub-titles.
The sound on this DVD is not too good but they did not do no miracle for the CD release either, so...
This is not 16:9 at all, except for the menu, it's good old 4:3 and nothing is missing.
Nothing except a few seconds at the end of Penis Dimension, just after Howard says:"Eight inches or less?"
It misses Mark's reply:"Well let me tell you, brothers, that's the time when you've got to turn around and look that sonofabitch right between the eyes, and you got to tell him these words:"
And a bit of Ringo's:"I stuff three pair of socks and a bar of beauty soap down in front of my pants!"

But...
So, it's great that this incredible movie is at last available on DVD but if the ZFT was able to release it with a remastered picture and surround audio some day, of course, I would buy it once more.


why the fuck is this shit cut out???

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm
Posts: 4
HERE's the REAL thing and a great merchant also:
http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo ... 1-TPDVD127


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
JayTrout wrote:
HERE's the REAL thing and a great merchant also...
It's not the real thing, it's the same one that everyone's talking about lately from Tony Palmer. I bought a copy myself. I can confirm the bit about a little piece missing at the end of Penis Dimension. The DVD is in 16:9, but it looks stretched a wee bit. It was good to see the movie again as I'd only seen it once before a long, long time ago. The audio is totally crap. I have the music on a CD release from the 90s which is not brilliant, but sounds much better than the audio on Tony Palmer's release. On there it sounds like a cheap mono recording. On my surround, most of it was coming out the central speaker which sounded really bad so I just switched over to a 2 channel setting and it sounded marginally better but still seemed like it was all in the middle.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
polydigm wrote:
The DVD is in 16:9
ZackGlickman wrote:
This is not 16:9 at all
<collapsing> :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
polydigm wrote:
JayTrout wrote:
The DVD is in 16:9, but it looks stretched a wee bit.


With their wide TV's screens, people get used to see fat ones.
yes, Flo and Eddie ARE fat, but not that much.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
buffalo_voice wrote:
polydigm wrote:
The DVD is in 16:9
ZackGlickman wrote:
This is not 16:9 at all
<collapsing> :P
I think Mr Glickman is having trouble with his English. The DVD is in 16:9 format, but the way they have achieved this is rather artificial. Personally I think Tony Palmer should be ashamed of himself.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
Sure, I'm having trouble with my English but I assure you, this DVD is not 16:9.
Just try.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
I've watch this movie a thousand times and I think I know what it's supposed to look like.
But feel free to watch it any way you like.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 am
Posts: 589
I have a very clean laserdisc copy of this film. The lines that are seen on the left hand side of the frame in this preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UBPiazsTI are in the exact same scene on the '90's laserdisc release.

_________________
"Voodoo Butter Underpants...
heh, heh... the pants that
nearly broke Tommy Mars' neck."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
ZackGlickman wrote:
Sure, I'm having trouble with my English but I assure you, this DVD is not 16:9. Just try.
Okay, let me spell it out. The producers of this DVD have used 16:9. That's what it plays in if your TV uses auto detect. If you force it to play in 4:3 it looks normal. This indicates that the producers of this disk have stretched the original to make it 16:9. So, when I say it's in 16:9 I'm saying that is what it says on the disk cover, that's what Tony Palmer is peddling this as and that's how they've produced it. But it's artificial and yes, it probably looks better if you set your TV to watch it in 4:3. That's what I mean about you having trouble with English, it wasn't meant as an insult, just that your explanation is too minimal.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Aotearoa NZ
:!: Why th hell
..wouldja
wanna
watch this stoopid movie
in some fantasmagorical
screener situation


why rave about it
It is probly the worst movie and waste of money
.. EVER :!:

_________________
image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
stride wrote:
:!: Why th hell
..wouldja
wanna
watch this stoopid movie
in some fantasmagorical
screener situation


why rave about it
It is probly the worst movie and waste of money
.. EVER :!:


Everything Frank touched was gold, Stride, gold I tell ya!

(I don't dislike it as much as you, but, I rarely watch it.)

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: The Short Forest
Just got this yesterday from Wayside. Excellent service from them. I think this Tony Palmer version is great, especially the picture. Like I said, my only previous version was a VHS dub.
Yes, the audio is not that great, but listenable and sort of goes with the lo-budgetness of the film itself. The director's commentary is great, and a nice bonus. Overall well worth the $15. I'm sure the audiophile geeks will continue to dog this release though.

With this being out now, it would be a perfect time for ZFT to reissue The True Story Of... on DVD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Down in France
polydigm wrote:
ZackGlickman wrote:
Sure, I'm having trouble with my English but I assure you, this DVD is not 16:9. Just try.
Okay, let me spell it out. The producers of this DVD have used 16:9. That's what it plays in if your TV uses auto detect. If you force it to play in 4:3 it looks normal. This indicates that the producers of this disk have stretched the original to make it 16:9. So, when I say it's in 16:9 I'm saying that is what it says on the disk cover, that's what Tony Palmer is peddling this as and that's how they've produced it. But it's artificial and yes, it probably looks better if you set your TV to watch it in 4:3. That's what I mean about you having trouble with English, it wasn't meant as an insult, just that your explanation is too minimal.


I think it's just badly labeled and made by ignorants.
Luckily, it's easy to fix it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Aotearoa NZ
calvin2hikers wrote:
stride wrote:
:!: Why th hell
..wouldja
wanna
watch this stoopid movie
in some fantasmagorical
screener situation


why rave about it
It is probly the worst movie and waste of money
.. EVER :!:


Everything Frank touched was gold, Stride, gold I tell ya!

(I don't dislike it as much as you, but, I rarely watch it.)



I was having a moment
.. wasn't I "?

still not on the buy now/soon/ever list

_________________
image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group