Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Freak Out List
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 am 

I'll order it. It appears to be quite serious.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:34 am 

I just got it from Chrome Dreams and have seen the main film: It's recommendable and can be compared to "The Mothers of Invention - In the sixties".

But I would have liked a full list of the music used. Why don't I know the tune in the trailer??? It pops up in several places during the film, and the title isn't mentioned.

It's almost surreal, 'cause it reminds me of Zappa tunes I sometimes hear in dreams (at night), unreleased and yet so typical.

Vietato l'Ingresso

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:16 am 

Vietato l'Ingresso wrote:

It's almost surreal, 'cause it reminds me of Zappa tunes I sometimes hear in dreams (at night), unreleased and yet so typical.

Ahah. that was funny...

Maybe is is original for the film, composed a la Zappa (Sounds Like stuff from BWS)

You know this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhDrA_vR4g

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 am 

There is a continuation of this opening theme at 4:15 with The Mothers playing in a black and white sequence from ORTF (a French radio and tv station, I believe).

It's a band with Ian Underwood, Bunk Gardner, Don Preston, Motorhead, Jimmy Carl Black and Roy Estrada, and they really seem to be playing it!

Somebody here must know what it is!

/V

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm 

There is a continuation of this opening theme at 4:15 with The Mothers playing in a black and white sequence from ORTF (a French radio and tv station, I believe).

It's a band with Ian Underwood, Bunk Gardner, Don Preston, Motorhead, Jimmy Carl Black and Roy Estrada, and they really seem to be playing it!

Somebody here must know what it is!

/V

The "filler" music is one thing I didn't like about this documentary. I was trying to identify it as a legitimate Zappa piece but I couldn't. My assumption was that it was composed in the style of FZ because they couldn't get rights to enough of the real stuff to fill in the holes. If I'm wrong about this please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:40 am 

I think the "filler" music must be from the piece The Mothers are seen playing in the ORTF sequence (at 4:14).
Zappateers lists "instrumental" in some set lists from this period (1968), so there might be a piece, that has never gotten a name (jams/improvisations are not listed as "instrumental").
They list a 10 minute French TV recording without titles.

I have written Chrome Dreams. Maybe they will clear it up.

/V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 am 

So now we know:

"The music you refer to is actually by Chris Ingham – and it is correct that this is ‘in the style of’ music, used in places where actual Zappa performance footage wasn’t relevant

All best wishes

Rob Johnstone

Chrome Dreams."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 pm 

Finally got my copy and checked it out. It's a great documentary from start to finish. The only thing that makes it hard to watch is that "incidental music" a big mistake in my opinion. The thing itself is fine why risk spoiling it with something merely incidental. They should have used snippets of Zappa's own music as incidental.

Anyway, I've heard some positive stuff about Ben Watson and some negative stuff, but now that I've seen and heard him speak, I think he's okay. I like the way he explains what's wrong with over trivialising what any particular Zappa piece is about, that you shouldn't try to reduce it to some pithy core like the big swifty guitar solo being a parody of John McLaughlin. I'm curious to buy his books now.

I like the whole thing and the contributions of all the guest speakers, the only downside being that "incidental music". Great documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
This just arrived in my mailbox this week. And I must say, it's VERY well done. They do an excellent job at explicitly going over FZ's influences and showing why FZ wrote and blended the particular styles of music that he did, while also juxtaposing popular trends that co-existed at the time...

Just arrived in mine too. I agree completely with you DB.

Pick it up, if you want to spend some time with people talking about old days. It's first time I've seen Ian Underwood interviewed - interesting. So worth a spin (DVDs do spin), even though die-hard fans may not learn new secrets. But tons of good info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 am 

It,s weird how on IINK they don't mention nothing about in the 60's DVD or nothing about Freakout list,They mention,music in reviews,though :shock:
I have not seen it stock in HMV in cardiff they must be thinking how many FZ in the sixties films can these dudes come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm 

So now we know:

"The music you refer to is actually by Chris Ingham – and it is correct that this is ‘in the style of’ music, used in places where actual Zappa performance footage wasn’t relevant

All best wishes

Rob Johnstone

Chrome Dreams."

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I would have liked this dvd more if not for this. I will say that I do have quite a bit of confidence in Chrome Dreams products. The "Mothers in the 60's" dvd was excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:34 am 

Whether Mr Ingham deserves the credit for those "notes not necessarily in the right order" pastiches of Hungry Freaks and Son Of Mr Green Genes is debatable - especially since the latter contains a phrase which sounds suspiciously like the VdGG "classic" Theme One!