Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 pm 

I just watched this 200 motels DVD "Remastered" Torrent.

Once upon a time I owned the NTSC VHS with the Red 200 Motels Title, which seemed pretty complete.

Anyhow I'm not sure what was supposed to be "Remastered" about this torrent.

A couple of notable things about this one is that there is a bunch of missing Foley.

There is no sound when the ghosts fly by when Donavan Says "Yes Jeff Sin"
The Vacuum cleaner makes no sound when it launches the explosive bag from its hose and it explodes.
There is no boinking noise when the groupie tweeks her nipples in provocative squats.
And some other missing sound.

Also the sound quality seems to jump on some scenes. I have no idea how this is supposed to be remastered, the audio is worse than the VHS as far as I can tell.

I read up on what an epic failure the 2010 DVD of 200 Motels was.

It sounds like the MGM master still exists and they still make 35mm prints from it. Why isn't this transfered?
Does the masters that where sent to the US for editing still exist?
I really hope this exists in a higher quality format somewhere just waiting to be restored and released.

Is there a definitive quality bootleg edition floating around out there.

Where can I find the true story of 200 motels!?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:30 pm 

Does no one have any knowledge of any plans on releasing a version of 200Motels from the UA/MGM master?

If not is the a definitive reasonable quality release of 200motels floating around out there?

I would prefer to Pay the Zappa Family for the movie. But it doesn't appear that there are any official Zappa Family releases.

Where can I find the true story of 200 Motels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:39 pm 

Hi,

Same here and ditto.

Would love to see it again before I go away for good.

I keep having this feeling that there are copyrights crap and more crap involved in this one ... and that too many other people want dollars off it ... and in the end, we will do a terrible thing to a film that deserves a lot more credit for its inception, than the resulting problems and revolting attitudes and issues around it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:42 pm 

Hi,

I just wrote this and thought I would share it here. It is a short review of the movie and different from the one that I think I have on IMDB, which I will try to update and change asap.

200 Motels

For today's audience, this is NOT a concert movie. It is a fun romp through nothing that happens to have some music all over it, and dialogue and what not. In the process, this creates a very weird, visualization that is all over the place that defies description and some dialogue that ... just goes along and it might or might not make a story.

In the end, this is HOW Frank Zappa composed things and put together things for himself. Let's just say that the film is his mind opened up and how he thinks and in the middle of everything in there, is just all the words and lines and the day has that pass you by. Some you catch, and some you don't. And the whole Ringo thing being Frank's double is just a put on, for fun, and I think that any musician that wanted to be in there could be, and the likes of Keith Moon has fun with a nun costume, but in the end, it is just like another apparition in the day of a life inside someone's mind. Somethings make sense and some don't. But for any of us, to sit here and try to figure it all out, in the end, you end up getting lost and finding yourself in a hopeless situation.

IF, you appreciate Frank Zappa for his compositional side and definition of music ... in a sense that everything goes, including dialogue (since the voice is also an instrument!), then this film is enjoyable ... it is the ultimate trip and everything including the kitchen sink and the nuns, and ultimately the most surrealistic thing ever put on film, bypassing the likes of Luis Bunuel's famous 2 films with Salvador Dali.

IF, you only appreciate Frank Zappa for his guitar playing and rock music, or slightly modified jazz music, then you will really miss out on the open mindedness that this man had for music. And the main reason why he is so appreciated in Europe, whereas America can't. Here we are so limited by the commercial interests that it makes it very difficult for anyone to stop listening to all the top ten in order to be able to appreciate someone that thinks that music ... should never have any limits ... and a film like this is also a nice take on the film world and its rigid life as well, via the Hollywood styled "hits" that convince you that a film is this and that ... and prevents you from finding out there is a lot more out there ... and that "more" is not only far out, it can be weird, it can be strange ... but in the end, it is always fascinating.

In the end, it is one of a kind. As such, it deserves credit. And to be seen!

And, only a true Frank Zappa fan, that appreciates his freedom of expression better than anyone you and I have ever met, is capable of enjoying this ... as one of the true great events in rock music history. The rest is just "fame" ... and not worth the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 pm 

i wish they'd properly release it with the true story of 200 motels. ZFT could even charge 50 bucks and i'd pay for it!

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 am 

Looks like MGM is filing for bankruptcy.

I wonder how that is going to play on the fate of 200 motels?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:39 pm 

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18751&start=0

This thread has a lot of discussion, and links, concerning Tony Palmer's release of the film on DVD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm 

HJ wrote:
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18751&start=0

This thread has a lot of discussion, and links, concerning Tony Palmer's release of the film on DVD

I know I read through it before I started this thread.

It sounds like the Tony Palmer version is less than desirable.

I've been hearing on the Adam Carola Podcast That Warner is selling custom DVD's from "Warner Classic Archives"

I wonder if 200 motels is available there??

Someone has to have the Master reels of it somewhere.....