Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 am 

I never watch this series, but out of chance, had it on last night while I was doing some other stuff when sometime in the middle of the episode while the cast was somewhere out in a desert eating a bag of psychedelic mushrooms, they played the familiar riff from The Wedding Dress song. It wasn't Zappa's version, but some of the slide guitar work sounded very much like Beefhearts Magic Band, though a modern soundtrack recording. I don't know from what season it was from or the title of the episode, though it was a syndicated replay. I probably won't jump on the "Entourage" bandwagon, but it was interesting to me none-the-less. As I mentioned, the episode aired last night sometime around 12:30 or 1:00 AM eastern time.

edit - after looking it up online, I guess the episode is called "Tree Tripper's" from season 5. The scene from the episode apparently is supposed to be a spoof of the Doors movie desert scene.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:45 am 

SB! this is the handsome cabin boy, as arr by Grisham/Garcia but thought you might get a chuckle out of it, cheers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQk3jBbUkM

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 am 

Wow Garcia and Grisman on a Zappa forum 8)

Weird related story .... I Picked up David Grisman Quartet ' 80 and noticed the first song on Side 2 was my last name !!

Curious as hell , I called the NYC phone directory looking for this guy .... this was back before the internet... and was given a few numbers. The FIRST one I called turned out to be David ... he was in the middle of given cello lessons and only had a few minutes to talk .... but he kept on asking is I was John .. an old drummer buddy of his. Guess I sounded like this ' John ' and he kept asking if I was playing a joke on him. Told him no and I kept trying to ask him about the ' song ' title.

He finally explained that this ' John ' guy had written and when I asked him what it meant , he sounded surprised and said ' You Don't Know ? It means " Peace " ' and then he said he had to get back to the lesson , but thanks for calling anyway .

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 am 

To this day I still wonder is he was screwing with me , thinking I was screwing with him.
:lol: :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:52 am 

Hard to say but very interesting. I saw grisman and Garcia a couples times very good ;cabin boy and southern cross are some of my favorites

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:24 pm 

Nice! dig the Pizza tapes :smoke: