Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 200 Motels on NetFlix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm 

Yeah, this is old news by now, but there it is.

An oddly cropped version (changed aspect ratio, I guess) of the film is now on NetFlix. For some reason, the sound quality is muddy too. But there it is.

FWIW, I really loved 200 Motels when it first came out and I was a teenaged maltshop stoner. Not so much now, 40 years later.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:22 pm 

I bought the 2010 DVD Tony Palmer released. Keep in mind I'm a younger fan. I'm 19 and I got into Zappa after just hearing his name brought up in a magazine. I was 14 at the time and I think I was a member of this board (years ago, like in 2006) and asked where to start. Now, I'm a Zappa fanatic! I first saw 200 Motels online on the Daily Motion in 2009. A strange movie but I liked it. I was also in contact with Tony Palmer and he said he was working on the DVD release. That was the 2010 version. Okay I like the DVD just for the sake of having a hard copy of the movie. The picture is okay but is not remastered at all and the sound is dreadful.

I was on Netflix today and saw in the "Watch it again" tab 200 Motels (w/ the 2010 cover). I was surprised and wondered if it was the crap version. It wasn't. For me, it looked really great just for the short snippet I saw. The picture is better than the DVD and the sound is somewhat. I know the picture might be cut off and the aspect ratio is different but I don't see any difference of what has been cut off. I've always liked Widescreen better than full but I don't want anything cut off!

I think streaming it on Netflix may give hints to a future DVD release.