Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Baby snakes DVD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 am 

Why is the mix on the Baby Snakes DVD, well with the whole Baby Snakes movie in general, so shitty?
Zappa only had so many opportunities to make movies, one would think he'd paid special attention to the sound. You know being someone in the business of selling sounds and all. Hell, 200 Motels sound sucks too. What gives?

Post subject: Re: Baby snakes DVD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 am 

youiswhatyouam wrote:
Why is the mix on the Baby Snakes DVD, well with the whole Baby Snakes movie in general, so shitty?
Zappa only had so many opportunities to make movies, one would think he'd paid special attention to the sound. You know being someone in the business of selling sounds and all. Hell, 200 Motels sound sucks too. What gives?

which mix are you talking about, the 2.0 stereo or the 5.1 surround? my guess is that you are running the 5.1 mix on a shitty non surround system therefore missing a bunch of stuff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 am 

Impossible it will go too stereo mode even when select 5.1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:41 am 

cleon wrote:

No. On my player I have to select PCM stereo. Otherwise it will be played in the 5.1 mode which gives a very shitty impression on a stereo system. I'm old-fashioned and don't care for a surround system anyway.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 am 

Thinman wrote:
cleon wrote:

No. On my player I have to select PCM stereo. Otherwise it will be played in the 5.1 mode which gives a very shitty impression on a stereo system. I'm old-fashioned and don't care for a surround system anyway.

Th.

yes the player or set up,it is impossible 5.1 on stereo 2 speaker that is just bad if a player plays like that not the DVD :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 am 

I presume it is how the DVD is programmed. Because on my player most DVDs automatically play the ordinary stereo tracks (my system is ordinary stereo as I said). Baby Snakes unfortunately stays in surround mode at least on my player if not changed manually. So this is the thing the OP should take care of in the first place.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 pm 

Thinman wrote:
I presume it is how the DVD is programmed. Because on my player most DVDs automatically play the ordinary stereo tracks (my system is ordinary stereo as I said). Baby Snakes unfortunately stays in surround mode at least on my player if not changed manually. So this is the thing the OP should take care of in the first place.

Th.

then change it manually, stupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
… stupid

Then we are two already now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:52 am 

This is typical of (all?) dvds but my only complaint is that the volume on the menu/title cards is so incredibly loud compared to the actual movie. If I'm jumping around for different songs and go back to the menu it blasts me out of my seat. Why is that? Can't dvd's do it quietly or is it a technique to get one to press play fast, watch the movie?

p.s. Thinman: please come up with something positive to say. I have my doubts that you are capable and would like to be proven wrong. Sincerely, bp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:09 am 

brainpang wrote:
… Thinman: please come up with something positive to say. I have my doubts that you are capable and would like to be proven wrong. Sincerely, bp

What do you mean? I didn't utter something negative at all. I only was trying to find an explaination for the soundproblem of the original poster, so in that case he could check his settings. There was no comment from me about the content of BS.

Also sincerly,
Th.

P.S.: Something positive just for you bp. In this very moment I have been listening to Ancient Armaments and I confess that this is my favorite FZ guitar solo and a case of very successful group improvisation (especially the FZ/Vinnie interplay). I can listen to this over and over again without ever getting tired. Since 1980.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:55 am 

I get your point but thanks, you made me smile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:56 am 

Thinman wrote:
In this very moment I have been listening to Ancient Armaments and I confess that this is my favorite FZ guitar solo and a case of very successful group improvisation (especially the FZ/Vinnie interplay). I can listen to this over and over again without ever getting tired. Since 1980.

I loved Black Napkins, Zoot Allures, Friendly Little Finger, Rat Tomago, SY Tango, Rubber Shirt, Yo' Mama from the first them I heard them, but I didn't quite get Ancient Armaments in 1980. Now I love that one as well. I just wish it was longer!