Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 200 Motels Adaptation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:00 am 

I would like to adapt 200 Motels for a small stage at community theatre. Where and who do I write to for these rights?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:01 am 

I think for this you have to talk to Gail. Try gail@zappa.com Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 pm 

Maybe u have 2 ask MGM:
http://www.mgm.com/view/movie/7/200-Motels/
IMHO the Zappas don't own the rights to 200M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 am 

ursinator wrote:
Maybe u have 2 ask MGM:
http://www.mgm.com/view/movie/7/200-Motels/
IMHO the Zappas don't own the rights to 200M

That's probably true regarding the film itself and the soundtrack, but I would think that the ZFT still have the literary and score rights, which is what you need for a new theatrical production.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm 

Bart Ills wrote:
I would like to adapt 200 Motels for a small stage at community theatre. Where and who do I write to for these rights?

If you write a theatrical production based on the film, or the record, you probably only have to pay the copyright for the production ... and once you register your writing, it is an ok fee that goes mostly to the "publisher" and a nickel goes to Gail ... someday in the far, far future!

If you get a band and try to put the music to it ... then it gets tricky, and yeah ... you might have to ask Gail and your whole budget would likely be killed on that call!

I would not, under most circumstances, prevent my kids from putting together a play at the high school or college, of this ... I would consider that an honor, even if I never got paid for it ... in the end, you gain from the purchase and sales of other artist material and music!

I would think this would be fun ... and a cool trip, but if you do not have the money and the chance to get the costumes, or find a way to put an orchestra on stage (I want mannequins!!!!!!), then, the whole thing ... gets way harder! But the rest of the "story" can easily be handled as dream sequences and more strange time warps ... however, getting enough actors and actresses to go around doing this ... is going to be hard ... and you have to do one thing, that is not advised in most theaters across the country ... keep things moving in the background while something else is going on in the foreground ... conventional theater doesn't like to take the attention from the "main focus", but something like this ... has more than one focus, and the whole Keith, Ringo and Frank lookalike thing, is a perfect example ... it's not even story ... it's just filler in between pieces and other bits of the story!

I would like to do this at the Arlene Schintzler Hall in LA, or whatever the name is for that place ... and have a reasonable orchestra in place ... and while it would be nuts, it would NEVER be any weirder than a Sam Sheppard play, or a Peter Brook rendition of the Mahabharatta, or Midsummer Night's Dream ... or some of the far out and weird things that Joe Papp used to do.

But ... I don't know that Gail can see ... this kind of madness, specially in my head ... a director that would like to show Ken Russell that he was wasting his time and place doing crap, when he should have been doing more meaningful stuff ... that was worthy of his hell-raising orgies ... the only one of them worth while seeing being in The Devils!

There are other things worth doing on stage ... that might be easier ... I would imagine that Peter Gabriel would be proud of someone doing "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" ... which is much easier, but would also require some re-writing to fit the stage!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:40 pm 

The email address on this page might be best: http://www.zappa.com/munchkinmusic/

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

Post subject: re: zappa images
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:53 pm 

dear mr./ms. bart ills:

i am mr. quentin r. denameland, manager, bills & exchange at the foreign remittance department of the wells fargo bank of the united states of america, one of the largest international banks in the world, and i'm writing this letter to ask for your support and cooperation to carry out a unique and time-sensitive business opportunity in my department.

we discovered an abandoned sum of u.s. $15,000,000.00 (fifteen million united states dollars) in an account that belongs to one of our nigerian customers who died along with his entire family of a wife and two children in november 2012 in a plane crash trying to fly over the mountains of montana.

unfortunately, neither family member nor distant relative has ever appeared to claim the said fund; upon this discovery, i and other wells fargo bank officials in my department also discovered the deceased held the rights to the 200 motels film, have agreed to make business with you and not only release the total amount into your account since no one came for it or discovered he maintained account with our bank, but also transfer full authorization of ownership of the 200 motels film, otherwise all will be returned to the banks' treasury as unclaimed estate ...

we have agreed that our ratio of sharing will be as stated thus; 49% for you as foreign partner, 44% for us the officials in my department and 6% for the settlement of all local and foreign expenses incurred by us and you during the course of this business.

to commence this transaction, under u.s. law, we require you to immediately send me the nominal sum $72,815.50 to enable us to file a letter of claim to the appropriate departments for necessary approvals before the transfer can be made.

note also, this transaction must be kept strictly confidential because of its nature

i look forward to receiving your prompt response

dr. quentin r. denameland
wells fargo bank