Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 am 

It irritated me, because it is no secret that FZ did the cover for AF. The liner notes clearly say so. And the back-cover illustration/collage is in the same style as this newly discovered drum shop work. They are guessing on something that was clear and obvious from the beginning - or am I wrong?

The drum shop work/collage/illustration may still be a fake, though. I think it is more of an illustration style/technique that is similar to commonly used styles in advertising and graphic-design of the 50s/60s. It is not unlikely that FZ learned this style when he was working in the greeting card company.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am 

Yes, well, you know, AF didn't fit the frame the show wanted to paint, so...

I doubt it's a fake, aside from the personal "Yes It's FZ!" thought that jumps on me (which I get more often with painters and illustrators,there's just something about it all that screams FZ to me), the Z in the handwriting looking very Zappa with the same angles and thin on top/thick at bottom development that I've seen on another z painted by FZ, the fact that it was framed and has a label of an obscure and long-gone store... the way the drawing fits in with FZ's real life (especially the owner's jacket)... Besides, I trust Gail's opinion on it.

And I want that collage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 am 

Agreed.

Th.

P.S.: I'm also pretty sure it is indeed by Frank Zappa. And I hope they can use it for an album cover sometimes. The Rage And The Fury comes to my mind first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am 

Thinman wrote:
Agreed.

Th.

P.S.: I'm also pretty sure it is indeed by Frank Zappa. And I hope they can use it for an album cover sometimes. The Rage And The Fury comes to my mind first.

TH.,ask the Vautmeister,stranger things have happened. {-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

At first i thought the character was a Karloff-Frankenstein monster type playing the drums since he's green and rigid, also what seemed like stitches on his head was his hair. Still is weird that he painted him green, maybe he was trying to create some contrast with the orange of the drums, and making him pinkish would be too homogeneous, maybe the guy was Irish, maybe he only had that colour available.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Agreed.

Th.

It's not being released. At least as long as Gail's alive or in charge.

http://www.afka.net/articles/2009-05_Re ... lector.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:59 am 

I hope she changes her mind on that... No two Varèse recordings are the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 am 

Say I've had a thought...

One of my friends, who's synesthetic, told me he'd read FZ was synesthetic. Since I'd never heard of that, I dismissed it. Seeing this made me wonder though, how visual music was to him.
I have two synesthetic friends. One is a mild synner: he sees different colours with certain symbols. This is fun, especially combined with his colour blindness.
The other one, a type of guy all the girls crush on, had it into absurdity. We found out en masse about his synesthesia in class, when the teacher played a section of Shostakovich's 6th symphony. We were to write down what emotions and visions we had with the music.
Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY except this guy, wrote down "fear, being chased". Synner wrote:
"The fury of fat people on an aubergine background."

Naturally, with every snippet played after that, he was to introduce the rest of us to his wonderfully poetic visions. He also told us he got very specific flavours in his mouth when he was dancing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 pm 

You could ask Gail at your own risk. But she'll leave you with more questions that answers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 pm 

Zappaholic wrote:
Wow !
Drum Shop and Horny are pretty similar in style.
:)
yep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 am 

patacon wrote:
You could ask Gail at your own risk. But she'll leave you with more questions that answers.

She doesn't leave me with that either, the only time she reacted to one of my mails was with that April Fool's thing. Even though she promised she'd answer my question. Whatever it is she's working on, I hope it brings her more than the 3000 euros I have to pay the goddamn rightwing government because of my delay. Fuck depression, fuck empty promises, and very much fuck that idiotic prime minister who had three years of college delay himself :x
[/vent]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 am 

BBP wrote:
patacon wrote:

She doesn't leave me with that either, the only time she reacted to one of my mails was with that April Fool's thing. Even though she promised she'd answer my question. Whatever it is she's working on, I hope it brings her more than the 3000 euros I have to pay the goddamn rightwing government because of my delay. Fuck depression, fuck empty promises, and very much fuck that idiotic prime minister who had three years of college delay himself :x
[/vent]

Get it out now.I here they won't put up with venting like that on The Goose! He he. LoL! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm 

just the collage

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetective ... a-collage/