Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 pm 

When I first became a big FZ fan, the Roxy album was my favourite. I know this is not the "exact" Roxy configuration and moment but it captures how the core of that ensemble worked together. Yes, the quick cuts and strobing are just not physically pleasant, but they're part of his ideas of experimenting with film at the time. None the less, I enjoyed watching this movie.

And, I have to say, wanting a version without the claymation is just absurd. It's not just a video of a band, it's a movie and the claymation was a part of his vision for this movie project. My only complaint about the claymation is that FZ felt the need to mess with it - it's amazing stuff and needed no added effects.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:

And Jethro Tull is number 4! My two favorite artists!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 am 

Wonder why "Approximate" isn't on this release but it's on Dub Room? Odd that. Is Frank's solo for "Montana" on the DVD? This footage was shown at one of the ZPZ shows, and I was thrilled to see it (as everyone else was)....would be nice if it's included here in place of "Approximate". :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 am 

The audio sounds really great. I dunno what some of you are listening to it thru but it must be crap. I am playing it on my Yamaha 5.1 surround system set to 5 channel stereo and it's fine. I will say that the video quality is somewhat dark and "soft", almost blurry but hey it's 40 fucking years old. Anyone that complains is a big fat baby.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:34 pm 

Just got me copy today and watched and enjoyed ! First time I saw FZ was with these mothers... plus bruce fowler and a white boy drummer.
Paid only $3.25 including shipping...some kind of promotion on Amazon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 pm 

UPDATE...

A Token Of His Extreme DVD Sales:

Week 1:

~ debuted at #6 on the US Top 50 DVD/Music Videos Chart, selling 1,218 copies AND debuted at #17 on the Canadian Top 50 DVD/Music Videos Chart, selling 101 copies

Week 2:

~ charted at #25 on the Canadian Top 50 DVD/Music Video Chart, selling 102 copies (total sales: 203 copies)

Unfortunately, my source couldn't get a hold of the US Top 50 DVD/Music Video Chart this week, so I don't have sales figures to report. However, if that changes, I'll add it. To guesstimate, ATOHE probably sold similar to what it did last week, considering its Canadian chart performance for week 2...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 am 

About "Token" and "Dub Room", I have realized that the songs featured on both (Florentine Pogen, Inca Roads) are not edited the same way. For instance, on "Dub Room", when the "Louie Louie" quote takes place on "Florentine", we see Napoleon clapping, keeping the beat while making a silly face. On "Token", Napoleon is nowhere to be seen. When Gorilla Perellis appears, we see more shots of Ruth laughing on "Token" than on "Dub Room". It seems that FZ re-edited parts when preparing "Dub Room" and used different angle shots for certain fragments (and added those silly sound effects, luckily absent on "Token").

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm 

Rne wrote:
About "Token" and "Dub Room", I have realized that the songs featured on both (Florentine Pogen, Inca Roads) are not edited the same way. For instance, on "Dub Room", when the "Louie Louie" quote takes place on "Florentine", we see Napoleon clapping, keeping the beat while making a silly face. On "Token", Napoleon is nowhere to be seen. When Gorilla Perellis appears, we see more shots of Ruth laughing on "Token" than on "Dub Room". It seems that FZ re-edited parts when preparing "Dub Room" and used different angle shots for certain fragments (and added those silly sound effects, luckily absent on "Token").

I haven't seen Dub Room in years, but that's no surprise. Frank always messed with his own stuff over and over again. The guitar solo editing, live/studio mash-ups, re-mixes, etc...

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 pm 

UPDATE:

A Token Of His Extreme sales, courtesy of the US & Canadian Top 50 DVD/Music Video Charts...

Country / Chart Position / Copies Sold

Week 1

US / #6 / 1,125 (total units sold, considering pre-release date sales: 1,218)
Canada / #17 / 101

Week 2

US / #10 / 782
Canada / #25 / 102

Week 3

US / #15 / 508
Canada / #42 / 54

Total Copies Sold To Date:

US: 2,508
Canada: 257

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:50 pm 

I'm with JP on this one and remarkably I have a Yamaha 5.1 surround capable amplifier with a BASS Acoustic speaker setup and this music sounds great through it.

BTW, I'm trying to find out more about BASS Acoustic speakers but their company name is way too stupid for an internet search. The model is BAMYST, I think they may have been made in Denmark. Does anyone there know anything more about this company or these speakers?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:58 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I'm with JP on this one and remarkably I have a Yamaha 5.1 surround capable amplifier with a BASS Acoustic speaker setup and this music sounds great through it.

BTW, I'm trying to find out more about BASS Acoustic speakers but their company name is way too stupid for an internet search. The model is BAMYST, I think they may have been made in Denmark. Does anyone there know anything more about this company or these speakers?

They were carried by Harvey Norman, but they slashed pricing on them a few years ago, to clear them out.
Maybe you can contact them, and find an old guy who worked there while they had them, and ask for any info?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 am 

Good god the editing is annoying.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

ArE yOu SpEaKiNg Of ThE mInD nUmBiNgLy BaCk-AnD-fOrTh ViSuAL gLoP?

I don't like that gimmick either, rather just hear the tunes.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm 

UPDATE:

A Token Of His Extreme sales, courtesy of the US & Canadian Top 50 DVD/Music Video Charts...

Week 1

Canada / #17 / 101

Week 2

US / #10 / 782
Canada / #25 / 102

Week 3

US / #15 / 508
Canada / #42 / 54

Week 4

US / #20 / 378
Canada / #25 / 58

US: 2,886
Canada: 315

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:22 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

No, it's not. It's Zappa.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am 

I have a visual condition whereby I get strong and persistent afterimages on my retina. Some of the scenes in this movie are painful for me to watch. I love the music and mostly I do enjoy watching the video but not everyone has to like Zappa's movie ideas. For example, I think Uncle meat is crap. So what, I love FZ as a musical composer, that's it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:42 am 

While I understand polydigm's position, I don't have that visual condition myself and see a connection between the ultrarapid editing and Zappa's (poly)rhythmic sensibility. That's why I say "it's Zappa". I think the editing style of this 1974 TV special conveys the many levels of the music and the interplay between the musicians beautifully. I prefer it to the similar, slightly less radical synaptic overload of The Dub Room Special. Although appreciation of this depends on taste and individual sensory perception, I do think the extreme editing is part and parcel of Zappa's overall aesthetic. Like it or not, it's a typical aspect of his special art.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
While I understand polydigm's position, I don't have that visual condition myself and see a connection between the ultrarapid editing and Zappa's (poly)rhythmic sensibility. That's why I say "it's Zappa". I think the editing style of this 1974 TV special conveys the many levels of the music and the interplay between the musicians beautifully. I prefer it to the similar, slightly less radical synaptic overload of The Dub Room Special. Although appreciation of this depends on taste and individual sensory perception, I do think the extreme editing is part and parcel of Zappa's overall aesthetic. Like it or not, it's a typical aspect of his special art.

Disagree. I think it's Country Joe or possibly The Incredible String Band. I realize I might not have a leg to stand on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Frank made relatively few mistakes. The frenetic editing is one of them. I find it an obstacle I just can't get past.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 am 

I just got mine yesterday...I LOVE IT!!! Boing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:48 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Frank made relatively few mistakes. The frenetic editing is one of them. I find it an obstacle I just can't get past.

I agree completely. It is humanly impossible to follow the animation stuff. Or is it the music footage? It is worse than the worse MTV-type video editing. I think it is very far from his music compositional style. Whenever he used intricate and fast polyrhythmic structures, they would stand out clearly against their "background" or accompanying figures. This editing is just awful and painful at times. In musical terms it would correspond to cut between two pieces from Jazz from Hell every 1/10th of a second.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:32 am 

He was consistent, this manic editing goes back at le4ast to the Seeman footage you can get of the Garrick years...endlessly annoying, but he liked it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm 

UPDATE:

Week 1

Canada / #17 / 101

Week 2

US / #10 / 782
Canada / #25 / 102

Week 3

US / #15 / 508
Canada / #42 / 54

Week 4

US / #20 / 378
Canada / #42 / 58

Week 5

US / #27 / 310
Canada / #33 / 52

Week 6

US / #23 / 285
Canada / #44 / 46

Week 7

US / #33 / 206
Canada / - / -

Week 8

US / #25 / 256
Canada / - / -

US: 3,943
Canada: 413 (as of Week 6)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:10 pm 

how many copies does #1 sell on a typical week ¿

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
how many copies does #1 sell on a typical week ¿

In the US, 3,000-4,000. In Canada, 1/10 of that.

Once The Roxy Performances DVD is released, it has a shot at the #1 spot on the US and Canadian Music Video / DVD charts. Though, since TRP DVD is supposedly going to be released closer to Xmas, that would require it to sell about twice the weekly average a DVD would have to sell in order to make it on the charts, let alone to the top spot...

---------------------------------

UPDATE:

Week 1

Canada / #17 / 101

Week 2

US / #10 / 782
Canada / #25 / 102

Week 3

US / #15 / 508
Canada / #42 / 54

Week 4

US / #20 / 378
Canada / #42 / 58

Week 5

US / #27 / 310
Canada / #33 / 52

Week 6

US / #23 / 285
Canada / #44 / 46

Week 7

US / #33 / 206
Canada / - / -

Week 8

US / #25 / 256
Canada / - / -

Week 9

US / #34 / ?
Canada / - / -

US: 3,943 (as of Week 8 )
Canada: 413 (as of Week 6)

Last edited by Disco Boy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next