Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
cleon wrote:
Back too the New D.V.D release is there T.V flashing from yotube clip i can't tell It has Animation no,Sound Effects,what about the worse thing Fucking Flashing T.V :D

You mean the extremely rapid cutting back and forth? Yes, that's still there, and it is very frustrating if you want to actually, you know, SEE what's going on. It happens mostly towards the beginning of the DVD--between the animation and the flickering cuts, "Uncle Meat" is pretty much obliterated visually. It mostly settles down after that but it does crop up again here and there, fortunately just for short bursts.

What i meant was the different colors like some effect i see on the web Mac owners use bar for this cuts like a gif.file i post another youtube video it happens at around 3.mins
I can handle rapid cuts even though it takes the fun out of seeing thinks more is less that's what they wonna tell the people in the Film game these days again,all carried away with technology :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYoHckniVO4
ZAPPA - a token of his extreme Pt 5 florentine pogen (1/2)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:50 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Buckalos wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
- FZ appearing on the Mike Douglas Show, 1976

:shock:
Does anyone know if this will only include his performance on the show? I would love to see the concurrent interview (providing there was one), or even the whole program.

The whole show was released on VHS in the late '90s. It was widely available at CD Universe, Amazon, etc. I forget what label, but it was legit, not a bootleg. Seems to have gone OOP. I had it, but then dubbed it and ebayed the original, thinking it would have been out on DVD by now. It's pretty good - Black Napkins w/ the house band, recollections of how the Mothers formed, plus the interactions of FZ, Jimmie Walker, and Kenny Rogers together on the same set are interesting. Frank was plugging the Token special, and they showed clips of it on there. I would guess the whole show's on the youtubes.

Review of DVD mentions Mike Douglas Show content.
http://classicrock.about.com/od/artists ... xtreme.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 pm 

Wohoooo!
news from BestBuy today:

Good news! The item(s) listed below were shipped on May 31, 2013, and will be arriving soon.

Happy to finally have this on an Official DVD! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm 

Just found out, I have bootleg DVDs of ATOHE and DRS, guess I will be ordering this little sucker.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:38 am 

When is a region 4 version going to be released? Why are they doing it this way? Torture Never Stops was released region free.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 am 

I am surprised too, Eagle Rock should be releasing region-free

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 am 

Got my copy this morning! Haven't played it back yet but looking forward to that, as and when (probably today/tonight). 8)

As for the limited region release of this, I hadn't realised myself but it's obviously not ideal-sucks. However, you could probably get round it by hacking your DVD/Blue-ray player to be region-free (I believe this can be achieved on most units, though with some it may require the use of a universal remote, but that would still be a relatively cheap solution, if necessary). Otherwise- though most likely requiring a good bit of capital investment- you could buy a region-free player.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:03 am 

Personally, I am getting it through Amazon US so no problem, it will work, I just think this is anachronistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 pm 

Holy. Fucking. Shit. Got it yesterday in the mail from Best Buy. Sound is phenomenal, picture is crystal clear. Nice bonus with the Mike Douglas show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 pm 

If you guys are interested, I scribbled down some of my thoughts on the new release here:

http://zombywoofblog.wordpress.com/2013 ... 13-review/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am 

F.Natural wrote:
Wohoooo!
news from BestBuy today:

Good news! The item(s) listed below were shipped on May 31, 2013, and will be arriving soon.

Too bad those assholes decided NOT to stock it in the fucking stores. What a bunch of stupid fucking twats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 am 

Amazon UK lists it as NTSC but Region 2. Safe to buy for a European, who do not want to pimp his Blu Ray/DVD player?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
F.Natural wrote:
Wohoooo!
news from BestBuy today:

Too bad those assholes decided NOT to stock it in the fucking stores. What a bunch of stupid fucking twats.

Best Buy brick/mortars suck, but their mailorder is thee place to order new releases. They ship pre-orders on the Friday before release date which no one else does. I always get my shit by Monday. No fucking around driving and hoping it will be there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm 

Mine should be at the house tonight 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 pm 

Gail sure has done a good job of advertizing ATOHS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 am 

My wife is getting me the DVD for Fathers' Day.

"The Mothers for Fathers' Day". Sounds like a new holiday, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 pm 

Based on the whatsnew page here, GZ didn't know about this. Pretty dumb on the part of Eagle Rock. They got it up in the Zappa store for $15.

So now it can maybe get a little promotion...

Gail would be entitled to give Eagle Rock some shit...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:18 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Based on the whatsnew page here, GZ didn't know about this. Pretty dumb on the part of Eagle Rock. They got it up in the Zappa store for $15.

No-one told her?
And yet, the ZFT was mentioned as a partner, in the original release announcement, made on April 15 (almost 2 months ago).

"Eagle Rock Entertainment and the Zappa Family Trust are pleased to announce the first official release of A Token of His Extreme, an original program created by Frank Zappa for TV."

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/118387/ ... DVD-June-4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 am 

Now it's on the What's New page.

Just about every announcement has been up there.

Pretty incompetant it took that long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:54 am 

It seems Eagle Rock are no slouches and an Australian release is due today. Hasn't arrived at JB Hi Fi yet but will be there next week. Now I'm a happy camper and it will be cheaper than buying it from Barfko, who haven't made it clear what their region code situation is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:40 am 

So, while I'm at work, I check out the USPS website to see that my package from Best Buy was delivered. So, I was looking forward to popping in the DVD once I got home.

To put myself in the right frame of mind, I listened to One Shot Deal on the drive home. "Bathtub Man", in particular, whetted my appetite nicely.

So, I get to my mailbox and the package ISN'T FUCKING THERE! Now, we get a lot of mail and my carrier has held back stuff in the past, so I figured that this was the case, but I'm still pissed.

Later that night, I had to go to the store and what do I find on my doorstep? A package from Best Buy and a clothing store ad. Yes, I should, also mention that my carrier sometimes puts mail in the wrong box. Fortunately, my neighbors and I are pretty cool about getting the mail back to its rightful owner.

Anyway, to the substantative part of the message.

This DVD is a must-have for any Zappa fan. Here are some of the benefits when compared to The Dub Room Special:

First, there is no sign of the 1981 band. For those of you who hate Tommy Mars, Steve Vai, and/or Chad Wackerman, this is a real plus.

The guitar solo in "Montana" is NOT edited out like it is in The Dub Room Special and its corresponding CD. It is there in its full glory. Sure, it is marred a bit by the subliminal, strobe editing, but its there. Besides, they cut to Ruth's face. How can you not like that?

There are no fucking sound effects during Bruce Bickford's claymation. All you hear is music.

Fantabulous versions of "Pygmy Twylyte", "Oh No", "Son Of Orange County", and "More Trouble Every Day". Extended "Room Service", too.

The bonus feature from The Mike Douglas Show is great, even if the video is a bit sketchy. When Frank comes on, Jimmie Walker and Kenny Rogers are already there on the panel. Mike seems genuinely interested in what makes Frank tick during the interview. Frank's version of "Black Napkins" is good but subdued (unlike the fury unleashed on Baby Snakes).

The requisite laments are that there are no bonus tracks from the KCET performance itself and you still need The Dub Room Special for "Cosmik Debris" and "Approximate". These quibbles are extremely trivial, though. You NEED this. Go get it NOW!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:38 am 

just plain doug wrote:
tweezers wrote:

No-one told her?
And yet, the ZFT was mentioned as a partner, in the original release announcement, made on April 15 (almost 2 months ago).

"Eagle Rock Entertainment and the Zappa Family Trust are pleased to announce the first official release of A Token of His Extreme, an original program created by Frank Zappa for TV."

As well as Idiot Bastard posting this: Mike Keneally: “Joe Travers showed me the master for the official release of [A Token Of His Extreme] and it looks and sounds amazing. Cool bonus stuff on the DVD also.”

If Joe knows, the ZFT knows. End of story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am 

You and Doug are right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
tweezers wrote:

No-one told her?

As well as Idiot Bastard posting this: Mike Keneally: “Joe Travers showed me the master for the official release of [A Token Of His Extreme] and it looks and sounds amazing. Cool bonus stuff on the DVD also.”

If Joe knows, the ZFT knows. End of story.

Biz Stat They sell in the end :wink: when did a bootleg sound like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcYTShN4Fk
Frank Zappa - Montana (A Token Of His Extreme)
published on Jun 3, 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

tweezers wrote:
You and Doug are right.

This isn't the first time that this has happened.

Back in 2006, they were touting MOFO all over the "What's New" section. Yet, quietly, Amazon and CD Universe put up entries for Trance-Fusion, which was being released by what was left of Rykodisc. Not a mention on zappa.com at all. Everybody was like, "WTF?! We've been waiting ten years and now that it's being released, y'all don't even mention it?"

I finally emailed Joe Travers asking him if it had Gail's blessing. He said, "Of course." Eventually, it ended up on the website, but the announcement wasn't as clunky as the one for ATOHE.

I'm guessing that after they send the final production to the distributor, they forget about it. Then, either they don't get informed about the release date or they ignore the communication.

BTW, this is in the ATOHE liner notes:

"DVD ordainment & a/d/d/ Art Directions by Gail Zappa"

So, the ZFT put it together. Apparently, the just didn't know when Eagle Rock was going to release it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next