Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am 

Turns out MGM has released the film, just not in the way anyone would've hoped. There's listing's on Amazon.com for 200 Motels in standard and HD formats on their Prime/Instant video service, licenced by MGM. (I also checked the MGM site and the IMDb page and both link to Amazon.com.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00950VE0G/

As I don't have a Prime account to view it, can anyone here confirm if this is that new transfer that was taken off Netflix a while ago? It'd be great if it is.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:40 pm 

Hi,

I do not either, but I doubt it ... there is not enough appreciation and 200 Motels is not on the TRUST's lists to get around and appreciated, even to simply have the music released on a CD. I sincerely can not see why MGM would do this, and only collect $5 dollars monthly from Amazon on it. It's not worth the time and hassle, and all it will do is see them make yet another copy of the film, and that quality keeps getting older and more and more perishable every year ... and it will not ever get cleaned up or remastered and some Martin doesn't care for FZ or this film!

I'm just getting tired of all these people demanding the ROXY stuff, when that is the biggest representative of everything that Frank despised in the business ... demanding fans, that take your life away, and they only listen to one album ... either this one of Stairway to Heaven!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm 

I am a Prime member. According to Amazon (checking right now):
"Video currently unavailable
Due to our licensing agreements this video is currently not available for purchase or rental."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 pm 

Pretty odd that the ZFT hasn't put this out yet. It must be MGM/rights issues. This would great paired with the Making of Doc as an extra.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:42 am 

Dark Horse 77 wrote:
Pretty odd that the ZFT hasn't put this out yet. It must be MGM/rights issues. ...

Indeed, the ZFT doesn't own 200M (there aint also the album as recent universal release).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 am 

Just waiting for 200 Motels by proxy...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm 

If u just wanna watch it (instead of owning it as DVD) u will find it on utube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwpOXYZHxI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am 

Turns out the now disappeared Netflix version was exactly the same as the one that was previously on Amazon.

For a comparison look below:

Larger version:
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/8839/topic24.jpg

I have a really skipping screen recording of that version, if anyone out there has a decent rip of the MGM HD broadcast sourced from this same print (Amazon/Netflix), drop me message! It's highly important, x3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am 

Good news! It's back up on Amazon Instant Video now for rental or purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00950X35K

I just bought it and I can confirm it's the new 35mm print cleaned up and matted to 1.78:1 with various framing changes (apart from the end credits which are surprisingly framed in it's original 1.66:1), and reverberated mono audio to give it a stereo effect in places. Seems like a very nice restoration. Let's hope this leads to a DVD or Blu-ray one day! :)