Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Short movie project.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

Dear all,

I am a 19-year-old animation student from France.
I am planning to get involve into a short animated film production for more than one year (write screenplay, design, animation ..) in which I would like to use Frank Zappa's music.

I was thinking if i made an animated movie on FZ, but i don't know, maybe too complicated but really interesting and motivating, but what about the copyright ( music, image, moustache ) (I noticed than nobody made a short animated movie on it)

So i decided, if i can't do it, i will try to just use his music
But I am now wondering if I can use his music and what to do about copyright issues?

Hope you ll understand what i'm trying to explain. and hope you'll get an answer for me,

Many thanks in advance,
Sincerly,

Bastien Dupriez

Post subject: Re: Short movie project.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 am 

Hi Bastien.

Maybe Gail'll warm up to the project if you call it Dupriez' Paradise 8)

But seriously - my first advice would be - don't do it! I'll come back to why after some advice on how to go about it if you really want to go ahead with your original idea.

The key to a legal presentation involving copyrighted Zappa stuff is Gail. You can write her directly - gail@zappa.com - and maybe she will like your approach, because you're only 19 years old, talented and love FZ. But she will insist that her rights in the material are respected. And even her son Ahmet calls her a businesswoman witch, so that's what you have to deal with.

The last time I saw an animated film with legitimate Zappa music was in Clermont-Ferrand in 1994. It was a Hungarian independent short. Zappa's friend Gábor Cszupó, who made the Duckman series and the cover for The Lost Episodes, was credited as co-producer (postproduction). Goes to show that a close connection is handy.

http://www.ruclip.com/video/txOTmxErk7Y/frank-zappa-music-video-g-spot-tornado-cletus-awreetus-awrightus-beasts-animated-short.html

But that's pretty exclusive and up to chance. So back to my first advice - don't do it! Apart from the copyright hassle, you must ask yourself - what can I add to the Zappa legacy that isn't already there? There's nothing more embarassing than art which relies on other art without adding a personal touch which is as distinct and interesting. Do you feel that your animation is of a quality to eclipse Zappa's genius, or at least stand up to it?

You should rather do something similar to what Moon did - create a new character from your experience of the man. Do something that is INSPIRED by the genius of Zappa, but doesn't rely on it. Dig into obscure french rock, Musique Concrète, RiO bands, kraut rock, all sorts of freak out underground music and acid jazz to get sound textures similar to what you love in Zappa.

You can create something really original and satisfying as a homage, without even using a split second of copyrighted material. And it will be much closer to the spirit of FZ than your original "Zappa Animation Project".

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 am 

Hi,

Thank you to answer me,
Before starting this project, i would like to know where i'm taking up actually.

At the beginning, i wanted to create an animated movie with Zappa's character as a homage, but i quickly had the same thought you have just said, that is to create my own project from my experience of the man.
Then, i thought i have to create my own project, my own universe, and use his music to favour my idea, that's what i'm really looking for.

Create something original and satisfying as a homage is also what i'm looking for. Concerning the use of copyright material as music, that's this point which i find really interesting, to combine animation and his music.

("Happy Together" by Wong Kar Wai, he used "Chunga's revenge" and "I have been in you", these work really favour his intention.)

I think i can find my owm way of expression and in the same time use his music as an homage.

If all else fails, as i play guitar since i'm 10, i will try to compose my owm music, but in that case :

i'm near of the spirit of Zappa's idea, but no one could identify or recognise him.

I hope you understand, i'm so sorry for my bad english

BastienD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 am 

Hi,

Thank you to answer me,

Before starting this project, i would like to know where i'm taking up actually.

At the beginning, i wanted to create an animated movie with Zappa's character as a homage, but i quickly had the same thought you have just said, that is my own project from my experience of the man.

Then, i thought i have to create my own project, my own universe, and use his music to favour my idea, that's what i'm really looking for.

Do you feel that your animation is of a quality to eclipse Zappa's genius, or at least stand up to it? Oh no, I don't think so. You're right.

Create something original and satisfying as a homage is also what i'm looking for. Concerning the use of copyright material as music, that's this point which i find really interesting, to combine animation and his music.

("Happy Together" by Wong Kar Wai, he used "Chunga's revenge and "I have been in you", these work really favour his intention.)

I think i can find my owm way of expression and in the same time use his music as an homage.

If all else fails, as i play guitar since i'm 10, i will try to compose my owm music, but in that case :

i'm near of the spirit of Zappa's idea, but no one could identify or recognise him.

I hope you understand, i'm so sorry for my bad english

BastienD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am 

You could call it Dupriez's Paradise...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

I used a snippet of the gurgling, laughing, choking babies from "Megaphone" in an art piece once ('75)
It seemed to fit in with the slightly detuned Schweppes commercial with the bubbles and stuff
Only the other students saw it and it's since disappeared

Problem with doing that these days is it'll undoubtedly end up on youtube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 pm 

Hi Bastien.

Your response finally came up... The moderator has to approve until you have reached 10 posts at this forum, and he only works every fortnight... But your reply is sensible, and you seem to know what you're doing.

Again, I wish you good luck with your project. Do what you think is best, but contact Gail/ZFT before using any copyrighted material. If you're lucky, they'll give you a break 8)

Sincerely, DC Boogie AKA Dark Clothes