Frank Zappa 1969-1973
a film by Tim O'Dell
Run Time: 157 minutes
to be released on DVD October 7, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Freak-Movie-Madne ... rank+zappa

Does anybody know anything about this?

From
http://www.jcrmusicnews.com/en/dvd/2085 ... e-2.html#0

"In August 1969, to the dismay of many fans, Frank Zappa disbanded the original Mothers of Invention. Feeling constrained by the musical abilities of certain members, he cleaned the slate and set about assembling a new group. Hand-picking superior talent from a variety of musical genres, by 1970 the second incarnation of the band was unleashed. This film focuses on the sophomore Mothers, looking too at the very different projects that book-ended their brief existence; Zappa had incorporated ideas from free jazz and fusion into his music to produce three eccentric albeit influential solo albums. As the new decade dawned and the musical landscape shifted this prolific but often-overlooked period in Frank Zappa's career remained a pioneering era for a modern day composer who often confounded both audiences and critics, but who refused to compromise. Includes new interviews with; George Duke, Aynsley Dunbar, Don Preston, Jeff Simmons, Mark Volman, Max Bennett, Sal Marquez, Ian Underwood plus 200 Motels director Tony Palmer, biographers Ben Watson and Billy James and Mojo Magazine's Mark Paytress."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 pm 

Yeah, saw the news on this one a few weeks ago. I'm gonna guess it's not a ZFT endorsed product, seeing who's all involved in the interviews. Like the Straight To Bizarre, & Mothers In The '60s DVDs this should be interesting though, covering the Chunga's thru Roxy era.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:22 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25962#p632384

and also

http://www.idiotbastard.com/reviews.htm#FreakJazz

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:40 pm 

Pretty good as most Chrome Dreams products are. A little uncomfortable with Mark Volman's use of the "rape" word in describing some of the Mothers extracurricular activities in the extras.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 pm 

Not out in the UK for ages yet. I'm so desperate for this.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:40 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Not out in the UK for ages yet. I'm so desperate for this.

It's actually been available in the UK for several weeks now - direct from Chrome Dreams here: http://www.chromedreams.co.uk/frank-zap ... 1075-p.asp

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 pm 

Lovely. I was looking at the Amazon and HMV listings. I'll buy it when I get paid. Looks like the best price too. I got the Zappa VS Beefheart boxset yesterday from HMV in Swindon. Seen both documentaries before but they're just so damn interesting I wanted to own them.

This too and Zappa in the 60's. Might as well buy that now!

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 pm 

trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26lEikDZBI

The interviews look great, but here's what I HATE about these Chrome Dreams documentaries - the cheesy "FZ-style" muzak that's played throughout. Damn, if this crap plays under the commentary throughout the whole flick I'm gonna be disappointed. They did a lot of that on the "Straight To Bizarre" DVD, and with Beefheart on the "Under Review" DVD. Really annoying.
I ordered it the other day from an amazon seller. Will see in a few days hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
They did a lot of that on the "Straight To Bizarre" DVD, and with Beefheart on the "Under Review" DVD. Really annoying.

"Under Review" sucks. Bunch of shots of lame old farts who think being a rock critic is a worthwhile endeavor, sitting around in their easy chairs, pretending they are better qualified to make an assessment of some bands music than you are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:35 pm 

My copy of Under Review has John French, Mark Boston, Jeff Moris Tepper, The Ingber brothers, Gary Lucas, Gary Marker, Doug Moon, Eric Drew Feldman, and Jerry Handley. Those guys were all in The Magic Band at one time or other, and Lucas even managed Don for awhile.

I thought you liked mud slinging when it came from people on the inside? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
My copy of Under Review has John French, Mark Boston, Jeff Moris Tepper, The Ingber brothers, Gary Lucas, Gary Marker, Doug Moon, Eric Drew Feldman, and Jerry Handley. Those guys were all in The Magic Band at one time or other, and Lucas even managed Don for awhile.

Sounds interesting. Are there no boring critics pontificating about the importance of the Magic Band? I always have to turn those things off because it's a bunch of old guys grading records.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:02 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

Sounds interesting. Are there no boring critics pontificating about the importance of the Magic Band? I always have to turn those things off because it's a bunch of old guys grading records.

There are 3 of those on there as well. Alan Clayson, Nigel Williamson, and Mike Barnes. So, you probably wouldn't like it. Alan trips me out though. He looks like he could play a wizard in a Harry Potter movie. :)

Also, I don't remember any "cheesy muzak" playing in the background? So, I just popped the DVD in for a few minutes. Any time there is any music behind the commentary, it is the music of Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band. And, a clip of Howlin' Wolf. I don't hear any "cheesy muzak".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm 

My bad, and maybe muzak isn't the proper term. This "imitation" music is not on the Under Review DVD, but it's all over the "Straight To Bizarre" DVD in the Beefheart section, and from the new trailer for Freak Jazz... it seems to be there too. I hope that with the catalog change to UM, that the music from the official albums is included in this new documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm 

I know it seems like I'm picking on you Fred, but I assure you I'm not. Watch it again. The only music in the Beefheart section is indeed the Cap's music. Perhaps you are thinking of all the Strictly Personal tracks with Krasnow's phasing on it?

On another note, my copy of this new documentary shipped yesterday. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:11 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I hope that with the catalog change to UM, that the music from the official albums is included in this new documentary.

Is not it the ZFT's deal with Kobalt (http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/publishing/5471271/kobalt-signs-global-admin-deal-for-frank-zappas-catalog?mobile_redirection=false) that should see things like this happen?

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:56 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
My bad, and maybe muzak isn't the proper term. This "imitation" music is not on the Under Review DVD, but it's all over the "Straight To Bizarre" DVD in the Beefheart section, and from the new trailer for Freak Jazz... it seems to be there too. I hope that with the catalog change to UM, that the music from the official albums is included in this new documentary.

I know exactly what you mean. All of their DVD's do it loads. Don't get me wrong, they're all really interesting and worth the money but damn they go through the motions.
It isn't so bad on FREAK JAZZ as it was on FSTB or even FZATMOII1960s but it is there a bit. The thing it does a lot of is (like the other dvds) is play songs by the artist over stock footage of any random old things and repeating the same photos and video loops constantly.

Watched the DVD last week and I'm actually watching it right now and I do feel it is the best thing they have put out. It is a great DVD, almost 3 hours long too!

My only problem is that it barely looks into W/J and TGW.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 pm 

Also all the Zappa music on it is credited to Ryko/Munchkin Music.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:45 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. All of their DVD's do it loads. Don't get me wrong, they're all really interesting and worth the money but damn they go through the motions.

OK, good to know I'm not crazy, and it's there! I know all of the Captain's music, and there's some fake bullshit added.This false Beefheart-ian music, it's just annoying. :roll:
Now the problem is getting this in the US. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get this in the states and who has it in stock. Seems to be out of stock everywhere now at the standard retail joints (Amazon, CD Universe). I ordered a sealed copy from an Amazon seller a week ago for $12. Freaking guy hasn't even confirmed sale or shipment yet. I'm gonna give it another week before I cancel, or just email the seller and say "where's my DVD?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 pm 

Why not buy direct from Chrome Dreams? Shipping seems v reasonable: http://www.chromedreams.co.uk/frank-zappa---1969-1973-1075-p.asp

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 am 

My copy is in Memphis. Should be here in a couple of days. It was ordered from Amazon. I would have bought directly from Chrome Dreams. But I waited for Amazon, so I could bundle for free shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 am 

KUIII wrote:
Pretty good as most Chrome Dreams products are. A little uncomfortable with Mark Volman's use of the "rape" word in describing some of the Mothers extracurricular activities in the extras.

Received mine yesterday. That was a bit disturbing, and I was even prepared for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 am 

Anyone else think Volman sounds like he's developing MS or something?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am 

Possibly NP. I could get a better feel if I could see him walking. People developing MS have a stiffness in their gait.

I can say this. He doesn't look or sound as bad as Beefheart did on the short film Some Yoyo Stuff, and it was shot in '93. Imagine how bad the last 10 years of Don's life must have been?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:07 pm 

Even if you to back to the 82/83 interviews Beefheart did with Letterman when ICFC came out he seemed really awkward. Not super ill but it was like the signs of M.S were there. Maybe he was drunk, high or being weird on purpose. Knowing how he died makes you see it differently.

I love the DVD though, Sal seems like a great guy who had a lot of input in a short period of time.

Why does the Box say Zappa 1969-1973 but the actual titles come up as 1969-1972??

Either way, hope they are working on the next one! Mostly wanna know about Bongo Fury tour and the '73 Ponty band.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:29 pm 

Some band members say they noticed signs of MS with Beefheart as early as the late 70's. Although at the time, they didn't realize that those were symptoms of MS.

I finally see what y'all are talking about with the "muzak"{?}, although it is really a non issue for me. I'm all about the documentary, and I'm ready for the next one too.