Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappas Making Zappa Film
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:17 pm 

I came across this old article on RollingStone.com today. I wonder how far along this project got. I'd love to see it.

Zappas Making Zappa Film
Documentary will span music legend's career
By Greg Prato
July 7, 2005 12:00 AM ET

Although it's been nearly twelve years since Frank Zappa's death, his influence is heard in the music of artists ranging from System of a Down to Trey Anastasio. This fall, Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa will pay tribute to their late father by performing his music across Europe on the Zappa Plays Zappa tour. The Zappa family is also assembling the first full-length documentary about the legendary musical iconoclast, which they plan to release by early next year. They will debut a condensed version of the film on the tour.

The documentary spans the guitarist/bandleader/composer's diverse career, from early performance footage of songs such as "Inca Roads" and "Call Any Vegetable" through sessions for his final project, 1993's The Yellow Shark. Zappa died of prostate cancer that same year.

The film shows the private side of one of rock's greatest satirists. "He had a very cynical, sarcastic sense of humor," Dweezil says, "so there's a lot of stuff talking about how difficult it is to get your music played and how expensive it is."

But the focus of the documentary will be Zappa's role as a composer. "It gives you a lot of insight into the way he worked," says Dweezil. "He was always using classical themes in his music: Whenever he wrote a new part he'd stick it into a song, and then you'd hear it later as a whole other work of its own . . . And he was an amazing arranger, so his music was always evolving."

The Zappa Plays Zappa tour kicks off October 25th in Barcelona.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2q24IPNXg
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:03 pm 

I think it's scheduled for release right after the Roxy DVD project.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:29 pm 

I think the ZFT took a big hit from the "crash" and a lot of stuff they wanted to do isn't going to happen or just will not happen until they somehow recover... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
I came across this old article on RollingStone.com today. I wonder how far along this project got. I'd love to see it...

I assume this was a reference to Thorsten Schütte's ZAPPED documentary.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

No I never saw it, just an observation of apparently cost cutting actions over that last several years in all things put forth, lack of completion of downloads from YCFTOS tour, alums leaving over their rate of pay, the band reductions, promised releases being either delayed or not happening at all, DZ selling off guitars, and other observations.

That is not to say that those things are wrong, but rather a form of defense. I fully believe as owners the Zappa's have ever right to act in anyway they see fit while running their 'company", do I agree with all their decisions...no...but I fully stand behind their right to make them.

Like other "companies" they must do what is necessary to remain viable, will all their choices work...probably not, will they all be good one's...probably not, do they have the right to make them...absolutely.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 pm 

Plook wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

No I never saw it, just an observation of apparently cost cutting actions over that last several years in all things put forth, lack of completion of downloads from YCFTOS tour, alums leaving over their rate of pay, the band reductions, promised releases being either delayed or not happening at all, DZ selling off guitars, and other observations.

That is not to say that those things are wrong, but rather a form of defense. I fully believe as owners the Zappa's have ever right to act in anyway they see fit while running their 'company", do I agree with all their decisions...no...but I fully stand behind their right to make them.

Like other "companies" they must do what is necessary to remain viable, will all their choices work...probably not, will they all be good one's...probably not, do they have the right to make them...absolutely.

The Idiot Bastard wasn't responding to you, Plook. He was referencing GreenHocher's original post. That's OK, I used to think people were talking about me when they weren't too. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

The Idiot Bastard wasn't responding to you, Plook. He was referencing GreenHocher's original post. That's OK, I used to think people were talking about me when they weren't too. 8)

I still like my theory... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm 

A fine theory it is too. I'll alert Darwin and Einstein that they are in for some heavy competition this year. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:44 pm 

KUIII wrote:
A fine theory it is too. I'll alert Darwin and Einstein that they are in for some heavy competition this year. :wink:

Hey...I will write a book

"Quantum Delay Theory"

"Possible causes in releasing Vault Material, Downloads, and other incomplete Projects"