Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:07 am 

Ok, I have a feeling I've seen this topic before, but now I can't find it. (yes, I did search)<br>Anyway, if you've spotted any Zappa stuff in movies, please share! Here are some of my observations:<br><br>In the cannibal movie Eaten alive, during the "New York part", one of the characters walk past a cinema where Baby snakes is playing.<br><br>In the David Cronenberg movie Scanners, the main character drives a mini-van into a record store where several copies of Sheik Yerbouti are on display.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:00 am 

[center]<br>High Fidelity<br>In the beginning of the film, record store owner, Rob Gordon (played by John Cusack) talks about the types of people that shop in his indie type store.<br>Mostly young men who spend their time looking for deleted Smiths singles and original not rereleased Frank Zappa albums. <br> 8)[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:19 pm 

There was a movie discussed not so long ago ("...who know's? several weeks ago...") called ummm...Poison? Motley Crue? Skid Row? Who the fuck knows? But it had something to do with Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:58 pm 

[quote author=Old Fart At Play link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#5 date=04/24/04 at 19:26:57]<br><br>The film was called "This is Spinal Tap."<br><br>During the film, we can see the illustration from the "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch" album cover painted on a brick wall. [/quote]<br><br>Can you tell me what part of the movie OFAPlay? I own Spinal Tap and have no clue what scene that would be.<br><br> ???daisy<br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:03 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#7 date=04/26/04 at 12:55:39][center]It's here, Daisy:<br><br>Image<br><br>It's from when they get lost on their way to the stage.<br>I never saw it, myself...<br><br>Picture courtesy of Billy, from this thread:<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tv-film;action=display;num=1047826362;start=7#7<br><br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br>Thanks Lumpy Gravy and Billy!<br>Maybe we'll cue it up on Saturday at the party?<br>I have Tap on DVD.<br> ;D<br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:26 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#9 date=04/26/04 at 13:35:52]<br><br>Sure, why not, it's been a couple of years since I saw it.<br><br>You wouldn't happen to have the Rutles, too? <br><br> 8)[/quote]<br>I'm guessing I don't have "Tutles" cuz I don't know what it is? Essplain Lumpy!<br> :)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:28 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#11 date=04/26/04 at 14:50:17]<br><br>Oh, I'm sorry. OK, the Rutles is a parody of the Beatles. Written and conceived by Eric Idle of Monty Python. He made a movie (for TV) out of it, way back in the late '70's. And, they made two albums (they were actually musicians in the band, only Eric Idle was faking it).<br>Eric Idle plays Dirk McQuickly (Paul) and the Musician of the band, Neil Innes (he wrote all the Rutles songs, and they're excellent) plays Ron Nasty (John).<br><br> ;D<br><br>If you like the Beatles, you will like the Rutles! It's great. George Harrison liked it so much he sponsored it financially, and he makes a cameo appearance as a TV reporter, interviewing Ron Wood. Mick Jagger and Paul Simon play themselves talking about their encounters with the Rutles... It's just brilliant! <br><br>I'm gonna get it on DVD, it's been on my wish list for too long now... <br><br> 8)<br><br>Image[/quote]<br>neil innes was brilliant and often very much underrated i think.  ;D

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:50 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#13 date=04/27/04 at 04:42:55]<br><br>You can say that again! <br>I take it that you've heard Bonzo Dog Band? They had not only Neil Innes, but also Vivian Stanshall, an equally brilliant eccentric character!<br><br>;D[/quote]<br>i remember hearing them in my past...when it was my monty python spell i'm sure i did.  I remember he had his own tv show over here and some of the songs he wrote were brilliant...i loved him in the holy grail as the minstrel singing sir robin ran away....extrememly funny  ;D

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:35 pm 

I remember an obvious Zappa reference in Austin Powers 2. Dr. Evils mentions that he will have two units, Moon Unit One and Moon Unit Zappa. Something like that.  Also I read a few (what I think are Zappa references) in some Stephen King books. In Regulators there a part in the beginning where a dog catches a frisbee and says something like "Blah blah blah, then Im the Grand Wazoo. Also, in From A Buick 8, there's a refernce to being able to write the lord's prayer on the head of a pin much like the quote in Billy the Mountain. I know there are more too, I will just have to go through and see what I read lately.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:04 pm 

also from powers, note the presence of FEMBOTS!!!!<br>god, where were the wet tshirts!!!!!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:49 am 

[quote author=Old Fart At Play link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=0#4 date=04/24/04 at 19:24:42]At the end of Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke, Pedro comments "We're going to be bigger than Ruben & The Jets."[/quote]<br><br>Ruben Guevara was actually in Up In Smoke too. He was one of the "Alice Bowie" trumpet players. Cheech mentions him on the commentary track on the DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:41 am 

In the monkee's movie "Head" Frank gave Peter Tork some words of wisdom, while he was walking a cow on the movie studio's back lot. At the time of it's release this flick got an R rateing.<br><br>cuB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:53 am 

[quote author=Cinsidy link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=15#21 date=06/24/04 at 04:41:08]In the monkee's movie "Head" Frank gave Peter Tork some words of wisdom, while he was walking a cow on the movie studio's back lot. At the time of it's release this flick got an R rateing.<br><br>cuB[/quote]<br><br>Actually, it was Davey Jones he was talking to.  Are you sure it got an R-rating?  My VHS tape has the original trailer on it, and it says it's rated G.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:10 am 

This isn't really a movie reference, but I was going through some of my old video tapes, and I came across an episode of Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect with Dweezil as one of the guests.  It was recorded around the time JFK Jr.'s plane went down.  During the show, comedian Jeffrey Ross said, "When I heard 'the son of an American legend' had died, I was afraid they were talking about you," while pointing at Dweezil.