Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: More American Graffiti
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:35 am 

:oWatched the last half of this movie on Bravo and during the music credits 'Lumpy Gravy' rolls by. I missed the song during the movie, anybody catch this? :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:05 am 

The same thing happened to me many years ago when it first appeared on network television. I saw it twice and both times missed the scene! :( Maybe it was such a small piece of music(in a deleted scene), that nobody heard it. I would rent it, but I don't feel like sitting through a so-so movie just for a snippet of music. ::)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:21 am 

I believe it's the "pigs and ponies" bit from Lumpy Gravy and it's at the very start of the movie with the credits.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm 

I am just now sat at my computer. A moment ago I was typing a post into this forum about Ayers Rock. In the background in another room my son was watching television. All of a sudden I heard "ba ba ba ba ... it's a pig with wings". A replay of the movie More American Graffiti had just begun. Well, I was appropriately freaked out until I worked out where it was coming from.

Edit: You guys also missed the name drop in the middle of the movie. In one scene a woman mentions a list of famous people including Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:21 am 

The recreated vintage drag racing in this is pretty good. The late Steve Evans was the track announcer and was an icon in the socal classic drag racing era. Chassis builder and fuel driver Dave Uyehara did the stunt driving where Milner's dragster loses the chute and goes into the weeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm8TMpr9LJU

Dave still builds cars, but I don't think he did any more driving after this accident.

Here's Evans interviewing Don Garlits (once described as "the Frank Zappa of drag racing") after his 1987 Englishtown Top Fuel blow-over, which I saw live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0KmGfBCJtQ

Garlits missed racing at this event, but went on to win the Top Fuel World Championship that year. Swamp Rat 30 is now at the Smithsonian, although it's not currently on public display.

If you've ever in Ocala, Florida and you like cars, a visit to Don's Museum of Drag Racing is highly recommended. He has a whole separate building that's non-racing old cars and car related histories - like I think he's got one of Eisenhower's limo's.

-jim

-jim