Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:19 pm 

Tonight on MSNBC' s Countdown with Keith Olbermann (a news show in the US) the caption to a picture for a French McDonalds opening somewhere here was none other than "Zoot Allures". I was so happy to see the caption I never really paid attention to where exactly the French McDonalds is. And I don't care  ;).<br>(it was spelled something like "Zut Alores" but it was definately FZ related)<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:27 pm 

No shit?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:29 am 

actually, it's spelled "Zut Alors" and it means "oh shit", but in a really polite way.<br><br>btw, the location of the mcdonalds is important : if they're in the south of France, they're more likely to be destroyed ;)<br><br>Image<br><br>[Hundreds of farmers led by Jose Bove surround the McDonald's restaurant in Millau, southern France, Sunday, Aug. 12, 2001. Bove and his supporters returned to the same McDonald's restaurant he helped dismantle two years ago, this time holding a more restrained rally to protest unchecked globalization and demand support for farmers. Banners read: "Stick together" and "Farmers Confederation." (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:59 am 

[quote author=bouniakowski link=board=tv-film;num=1055467171;start=0#3 date=06/15/03 at 06:29:09]actually, it's spelled "Zut Alors" and it means "oh shit", but in a really polite way.<br><br>btw, the location of the mcdonalds is important : if they're in the south of France, they're more likely to be destroyed ;)<br><br>Image<br><br>[Hundreds of farmers led by Jose Bove surround the McDonald's restaurant in Millau, southern France, Sunday, Aug. 12, 2001. Bove and his supporters returned to the same McDonald's restaurant he helped dismantle two years ago, this time holding a more restrained rally to protest unchecked globalization and demand support for farmers. Banners read: "Stick together" and "Farmers Confederation." (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)][/quote]<br>Not the one I'm talking about. It's somewhere here in the states. I THOUGHT I heard Wisconsin.It was opened by an Oriental man and has a French theme. <br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:07 am 

This subject was discussed before but as far as I can remember there was not a clear definition for the English word "zoot".<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=albums;action=display;num=1039631381;start=

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:40 pm 

[quote author=bouniakowski link=board=tv-film;num=1055467171;start=0#3 date=06/15/03 at 06:29:09]actually, it's spelled "Zut Alors" and it means "oh shit", but in a really polite way.[/quote]<br>I saw the phrase in a comic when I was a kid and asked my French-speaking grandmother about it. She told me it meant "Fuck you" (though not using those exact words).