Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:01 pm 

I just watched this for the first time. It's mostly about anti-drug stuff, but I did notice one strange thing about it. This was recorded around February '88, at the time of the Tower Theater gigs. (This was at the beginning of the tour.) Frank said that the tour would go until June 9th. I just checked the 1988 tour page, and it said the tour ended (surprise!) June 9th. This is significant because this means that the fact that the band was fighting so much near the end of the tour had no effect on what day the tour ended.  In other words, the people who said "I had no clue the tour was going to end so soon" have probably never seen this before. Any comments?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:04 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=tv-film;num=1077141719;start=0#1 date=02/18/04 at 16:04:12][center]<br>[font=comic sans ms]...except that 3 months of the tour, which was to follow June 9, was cancelled...<br>...ergo - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life...[/font][/center][/quote]<br><br>He never mentioned those extra 3 months on that video clip, though. Do you have anything that specifically says that the tour would've went on longer than it did if the band would've gotten along better?<br><br>P.S. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to fit all the pieces together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:51 pm 

I've heard stuff about the "third leg", but  why didn't Frank mention it in that video? Don't you think it's kinda funny that the date Frank mentioned in that clip is the exact date the tour ended?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:40 pm 

The earliest reference to the 3rd leg that I've found is on the 3-6-88 show in Columbus, OH (actually, the review of the show posted on the site I mentioned before), where he says he'll be in Cincinnati in the summer. (By the way, the Tower shows and the one in Columbus were less than a month apart.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdJjVyKD8s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:38 am 

suterb wrote:
I've heard stuff about the "third leg", but  why didn't Frank mention it in that video? Don't you think it's kinda funny that the date Frank mentioned in that clip is the exact date the tour ended?

It's not funny. It was the last show of that part of the tour. The 3rd leg, which was going to be USA outdoor summer shows and west coast dates, was being booked way after the video was shot later on during the tour. back then bands didn't book tours 9 months in advance. the band just happened to self-destruct by the last date of June 9th.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:40 am 

suterb wrote:
[quote author=jimmie d link=board=tv-film;num=1077141719;start=0#1 date=02/18/04 at 16:04:12][center]<br>[font=comic sans ms]...except that 3 months of the tour, which was to follow June 9, was cancelled...<br>...ergo - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life...[/font][/center]
<br><br>He never mentioned those extra 3 months on that video clip, though. Do you have anything that specifically says that the tour would've went on longer than it did if the band would've gotten along better?<br><br>P.S. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to fit all the pieces together. [/quote]

Frank has mentioned many times that the shows were booked but the band wouldn't go on stage with Scott anymore. Frank had to cancel because there would have no way to get a new bass player up to speed in a few weeks. Frank also lost a ton of money by canceling those dates.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:14 am 

suterb wrote:
I just watched this for the first time. It's mostly about anti-drug stuff, but I did notice one strange thing about it. This was recorded around February '88, at the time of the Tower Theater gigs. (This was at the beginning of the tour.) Frank said that the tour would go until June 9th. I just checked the 1988 tour page, and it said the tour ended (surprise!) June 9th. This is significant because this means that the fact that the band was fighting so much near the end of the tour had no effect on what day the tour ended.  In other words, the people who said "I had no clue the tour was going to end so soon" have probably never seen this before. Any comments?

Are you sure its 1988?

The film I saw (which was superb incidently) showed FZ wearing a yellow t-shirt in a low rent room with the traffic roaring past - was 1980 or 1981. Frank mentioned that he was 40 years old. I got to like the state trooper who was clearly a Zappa fan.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:17 pm 

Are you sure its 1988?

The film I saw (which was superb incidently) showed FZ wearing a yellow t-shirt in a low rent room with the traffic roaring past - was 1980 or 1981. Frank mentioned that he was 40 years old. I got to like the state trooper who was clearly a Zappa fan.[/quote]

There were 2 videos made of FZ with Charles Ash of the Pennsylvania State Police .

#1 Talking with Frank Zappa
Mayfair Regent Hotel, NYC
November 3, 1981

#2 Talking with Frank Zappa....some more
On stage at the Tower Theater Upper Darby (Philadelphia), PA
February 14, 1988

They were distributed throughout the Pennsylvania school system and made available for viewing in the classroom.

The 1981 video (Final Edit) was transfered to DVD and is located here:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8302

:wink: Lagz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:03 am 

Thanks for that extra piece of info.

I cannot think of many people from Music at this time to have reached out into schools and society like this. FZ was a good role model that (unfortuanately) would surprise a lot of people if they dug a bit deeper into FZ the man.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!