Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: YCDTOSA movie?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:14 pm 

I just saw "Super 8 Stories by Emir Custurica" in the theatre tonight. It was a documentary about the Emir Custurica & The No Smoking Band with on stage + backstage footage along with interviews with the band members. I found it boring, being not especially involved in Balkan music but what struck me the most was someone claiming that "the guys were very interesting"! Compared to the stuff on Zappa concerts and off-stage recordings, even to our chat with my buddies, the stuff was boring.<br><br>The second movie of similar nature that came to my mind was "Wild Man Blues" about Woody Allen's jazz band. That guy pranks out more interesting stuff due to his mental status.<br><br>If the audience found the No Smoking band folklore interesting, I wonder what they would have thought if they saw a "YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE MOVIE"? With all the bands through the years it would be hard to come out with a movie about FZ's music but if there is -and I'm sure that there are, anyone saw that tape where Jimmy Carl Black rapes one of the guys (Art Tripp, I suppose)?- enough footage about the life of the Mothers on the road, I believe that would be a real treat for the aficinados and the innocent film festival audiences alike.<br><br>I have to say that I haven't seen any of the Honker releases except for Does Humor Belong in Music. If there already  exists releases about what I'm talking about, then I should go check them out. I'm expecting Roxy DVD to be for the hardcore Zappa fanatic but a YCDTOSA movie might introduce FZ to many people and help to provide at least some of the appreciation he deserves.

Post subject: Re: YCDTOSA movie?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:55 am 

Fist of all, Yes! This would be a good thing for us and everybody to see. Many docus on musicians suck because they are so selfish, they are just  for marketing purposes.<br>Second, there is no such a Honker release that shows concert footage like Does Humor... and at the same time backsatae stuff or strange behaviour of the band. There are some clips on Video From Hell and there`s a little bit on the film called "We don`t mess around" which was done with a german TV statipn in 1978. Zappa used some of the meterial for Baby Sankes.<br>Third: I think it would be no problem to fill a ten or more hours VHS series about FZ, the tours, the bands, i.e. the visual form of YCDTOSA or Playground Psychotics - like the Beatles Anthology videos. BUT I almost can asure you we will never see such a thing!!! :(  <br><br>ZFT, please proof me wrong!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:07 am 

<br>[quote author=zliq link=board=tv-film&num=1035242060&start=0#1 date=10/22/02 at 07:55:42]<br>I think it would be no problem to fill a ten or more hours VHS series about FZ<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The problems that I can think of is:<br>1- the WILL to do such a project,<br>2- the time it will take to go over the vault.<br><br>I wonder if anyone prepares these documentaries with commercial success in mind. Producing it would be far less cheaper than a feature movie and the return may (or may not) be a rise in record sales. I hope ZFT proves you wrong ;).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:31 pm 

There was a hint of a YCDTOSA Honker Video release on Video From Hell (King Kong from YCDTOSA Vol 3), however when asked about it on the zappa.com FAQ page, Gail dispelled it.  Damn, if I could only see the infamous tear gas riot footage my life would be complete.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:58 pm 

I think there is enough footage to make a 3-4 double disc dvd version of ycdtosa material. ;D<br> <br>assuming there is sufficient audio to go with it. ???<br><br>really...how cool would it be to have the best songs from all the vids(legal or not) on a set of dvds with the 5.1 goin...and the proof that someone actually made the ugly face while playin it. <br>SOUNDING GREAT THE WHOLE TIME<br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>