Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Film is Stranger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:19 am 

Frank Zappa-Baby Snakes<br><br>Pink Floyd-The Wall<br><br>i shall remian indefferent at this time, but i wanna know what you peoples think

"Between the Idea and the Reality.....Falls the Shadow-T.S. Eliot"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:56 am 

I think Baby Snakes is more disjointed that The Wall - it doesn't know whether it wants to be a concert film, a documentary on what Frank does, a documentary on what Bruce Bickford does, or a Bruce Bickford film. So it tries to be all of them at once. This is only difficult for the novice to get a handle on. Long-term fans realise that by this stage of Zappa's career, wanting to mix it up was what it was all about. Just as polyrhythms may jossle within a composition, different compositions jostle within an album (and different albums jostle within the oeuvre). Baby Snakes is like a cinematic version of Lather, or the Collected Improvisations of the Mothers of Invention (or whatever that proposed 20 or 12 or 10 record set - was meant to be called), or YCDTOSA. It is a symphony for your eyes that crosses cinematic genres the way Zappa's grander collections span musical genres.<br><br>I don't think the comparison to The Wall works, but I think the Wall is a stranger film because it is less 'in keeping' with Floyd (whose visuals up to that point – having commenced as coloured dyes on slides and light shows, progressing to elaborate props and smoke and, to more elaborate light shows, but not narrative film) than Baby Snakes is 'in keeping' with Zappa.<br><br>I think the better question to ask is, who got to translate their musical soul on the cinema screen better: Pink Floyd with The Wall or Frank Zappa with 200 Motels? I think Floyd got closer to what they (Roger) wanted to do with the film than Frank did with what he had in mind for 200 Motels. (Reason for this is outlined in the booklet to the CD edition of 200 Motels.)<br><br>In my humble, way past midnight in Sydney, Australia, opinion.

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:36 pm 

[quote author=theflesheater link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=0#2 date=12/01/04 at 19:18:14]the wall. baby snakes is just a concert. how is it strange? ???[/quote]<br><br>Much, much more than a concert. And even if it only consisted of live performance footage, FZ rarely gave 'just a concert', surely! (He said, never actually having had the pleasure of seeing the man lead his band live in person.)

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:17 am 

[quote author=secretnigel link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=0#1 date=12/01/04 at 04:56:12]I think Baby Snakes is more disjointed that The Wall - it doesn't know whether it wants to be a concert film, a documentary on what Frank does, a documentary on what Bruce Bickford does, or a Bruce Bickford film. So it tries to be all of them at once. This is only difficult for the novice to get a handle on. Long-term fans realise that by this stage of Zappa's career, wanting to mix it up was what it was all about. Just as polyrhythms may jossle within a composition, different compositions jostle within an album (and different albums jostle within the oeuvre). Baby Snakes is like a cinematic version of Lather, or the Collected Improvisations of the Mothers of Invention (or whatever that proposed 20 or 12 or 10 record set - was meant to be called), or YCDTOSA. It is a symphony for your eyes that crosses cinematic genres the way Zappa's grander collections span musical genres.<br><br>I don't think the comparison to The Wall works, but I think the Wall is a stranger film because it is less 'in keeping' with Floyd (whose visuals up to that point – having commenced as coloured dyes on slides and light shows, progressing to elaborate props and smoke and, to more elaborate light shows, but not narrative film) than Baby Snakes is 'in keeping' with Zappa.<br><br>I think the better question to ask is, who got to translate their musical soul on the cinema screen better: Pink Floyd with The Wall or Frank Zappa with 200 Motels? I think Floyd got closer to what they (Roger) wanted to do with the film than Frank did with what he had in mind for 200 Motels. (Reason for this is outlined in the booklet to the CD edition of 200 Motels.)<br><br>In my humble, way past midnight in Sydney, Australia, opinion.[/quote]<br><br>Well Sydney Austria, you made a point<br><br>                                    Crapfully Yours,<br>                                       Dr.Gonzo (aka the lizard King)<br>

"Between the Idea and the Reality.....Falls the Shadow-T.S. Eliot"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:58 am 

I think The Wall eats donkey dick.  They're some good songs on it, but it's my lease favorite PF album next to Final Cut and Momentary Lapse in Reason.<br><br>The Wall:  <br><br>Two animated plants fucking.<br>A guy trashing this room after shaving his entire body.<br>Creepy students in a meat grinder<br>Bizzare teacher<br>Snore-fest soundtrack<br><br>Baby Snakes:<br><br>Abuse of an inflatable sex dolly<br>Bruce Bickford's completly messed up animation (and interview)<br>One of the best Zappa lineups doing the soundtrack<br><br>Actually The Wall could be considered "stranger", but BabySnakes is better X 1,000,000,000,000,000.<br><br>I just think The Wall is a self absorbed piece of poo, that came from Roger Water's pompus ass.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:03 am 

[quote author=secretnigel link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=0#1 date=12/01/04 at 04:56:12]I think the better question to ask is, who got to translate their musical soul on the cinema screen better: Pink Floyd with The Wall or Frank Zappa with 200 Motels? I think Floyd got closer to what they (Roger) wanted to do with the film than Frank did with what he had in mind for 200 Motels. (Reason for this is outlined in the booklet to the CD edition of 200 Motels.)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Great points Nigel.<br><br>If the question ever came up, I think 200 Motels is much stranger than The Wall.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:19 am 

I watched Baby Snakes back in April.<br>I liked it, it was what it was.<br><br>I watched The Wall on Sunday.<br>A/Vs aside (which were nice), it seemed more of a tired ideologue for youth rebellion and nightmarish-career-retrospect, which I both respect to a marginal degree, but they aren't quite my thing.<br>It wasn't even part of my generation, but enough exposure to such socio-political disciplines doesn't even require that for one to get tired of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:44 am 

Oh my god, please dont mention The Wall.......Jesus, how deppressing. What an awful band Pink Floyd were.......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:31 am 

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=0#10 date=12/13/04 at 04:44:19]Oh my god, please dont mention The Wall.......Jesus, how deppressing. What an awful band Pink Floyd were.......[/quote]<br>the wall wasn't the best movie no, but pink foyd were a fucking awesome band  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:49 am 
Banned

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=0#11 date=12/13/04 at 05:01:15]the Wall is a horrible movie....[/quote]<br><br>I really love The Wall.<br><br>I think it's a great film from a great album.<br><br>I don't know why all of you guys hate it so much.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:39 pm 

i saw a bunch of zappa "movies".  which was the one where frank was talking about measuring things w\a chicken & smothering some chick w\meat?  was that the same one?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:29 pm 

[quote author=iminyourvideo link=board=tv-film;num=1101903581;start=15#15 date=12/24/04 at 22:39:36]i saw a bunch of zappa "movies".  which was the one where frank was talking about measuring things w\a chicken & smothering some chick w\meat?  was that the same one?[/quote]<br><br>probably tengo na minchia tanta from the uncle meat film:<br><br><br>[table][tr][td]devi usare un pollo[/td][td] you must use a chicken[/td][/tr][tr][td]devi usarlo per misurar  [/td][td]you must use it to measure  [/td][/tr][tr][td]devi usare un pollo[/td][td]you must use a chicken  [/td][/tr][tr][td]cosi' me la potrai succhiar  [/td][td]so that you'll be able to suck me it [/td][/tr][tr][td]ooh, you both suckin' stereo<br>jesus [/td][/tr][tr][td]tengo na minchia tanta[/td][td]i've got a big bunch of dick[/td][/tr][/table]