The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: That damn Roxy DVD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:43 am 

Will we ever see it? That's all I wanna know. Thanx, -DJ Clem

Post subject: Re: That damn Roxy DVD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:03 pm 

Based on what I know (nothing more than anyone else...), I'd bet on it. The question is when.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:39 am 

I'm hoping that my grandchildren get to see it before they pass away......  (I'm 26).<br><br> :'( :'( :'(

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:15 pm 

It's all I wanna know too. Put down the audio archives and release some long lost video gems for us ...pleeeeeease!!!  ???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:05 am 

I'd love to see more footage of the original Mothers of Invention as well. Them and the "Roxy" band are my favorites.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:14 am 

???<br>I've heard that the first DVD will be Baby Snakes released in time for Christmas 2002. The Roxy DVD might be released in 2003, 30 years after the actual shows. <br><br>I hope something comes out soon!!! The longer they make us wait the more extras we'll expect on the discs!!! After all if there not making them better, why don't they just re-release the old videos??? Gail posted a note back in 1997 saying that all of the old Honker videos had already been remastered on to HQ video.<br> :-[

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:34 am 

I can't wait. This is my favourite live performance by FZ. If i could see this on DVD, then i can die happy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:13 pm 

Thought I'd post another PLEEEEEEZ just in case the Zappa Family Trust looks at this stuff. (Hi guys!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:29 am 

There used to be a trailer for the Roxy DVD on the old Zappa.com site. Does anyone still have this? I forgot to save it...<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:21 pm 

I hope this and any other footage from that time period makes it out soon. It would be a very desirable thing indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:18 pm 

Dj Clem: I think we might see it in 2003.<br>Rzzzzz: I agree! We need more b-grade bootleg audio now, just as much as I need cancer of my ass. Get cracking on the videos! There are some terrific stuff out there! I downloaded some videoes on Kazaa lately(hard to fin though), and it's great bootleg stuff. Things like:<br>The 1974 KCET show<br>The Dub Room Special<br>1988 Live in Barcelona<br>The Roxy show (not on Kazaa, but it shure would be great to get out on DVD now!!!!)<br>If you get all the old VHS tapes on crisp and clean DVD stuffed with extra material, and release a great Roxy DVD, The great Zappa's Univerze on DVD, the incredible Yellow Shark show and a splendid 1988 live show, then the ZFT can relly start focusing on releasing audio CD's of already available bootlegs.<br>Mr.Chungas: I think (and hope) that you are right about the releases. Baby Snakes this year, and Roxy 2003. But the post from Gail is as old as the Zappa site. She originally planned Laserdisc releases. All the VHS tapes have been digitally remastered in the beginning of the 90's. I think the note is from about 1994-1995, and not 1997. Even how disapointing this may sound... I think we are closing on ten years waiting for a decent re-release of these great VHS tapes!!!<br>Studebaker: Send me an E-mail, and i'll mail the Roxy trailer to you. It's about 8mb if I remember correctly.<br><br>Oh yeah... If you haven't understood our simple request yet, ZFT!!!! PLEASE RELEASE ZAPPA ON DVD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:41 am 

Zappa wants to get on DVD. NOW.<br><br><br><br><br>[move]We need Zappa DVD's.  We want FZ DVD's. AAAaahhgg[/move]<br><br>

Post subject: re: that damn roxy dvd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:46 pm 

Image<br><br>Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:03 am 
Banned

Sebastiaan wrote:
mixed in 1987 by FZ?

The Stereo audio mix is ready, but it hasn't been linked up to the video.

No matter how much you bitch and complain, this shit takes time, and money (though not as much money as when FZ was alive). If you want quality, you're going to have to wait.

It will get here, and it will blow all of you away.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:16 am 

The first Zappa I ever heard was Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere. It remains to this day my absolute favourite. <br>The thought of actaully getting to see this on DVD, VHS or even Zoetrope fills me with great joy and warmth. <br><br>I saw Zappa a number of time but I particularly recall the UK Knebworth festival in 79 when he played 'Village of the Sun' (yes they're all still there in their thermal underwear).<br><br>Roll on the Roxy!

"Hey, does anybody here know where Palmdale is? Ya do! Good"!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:28 am 

I want to see that version of Swifty live RIGHT NOW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:36 pm 

Kee-Rist.<br><br>We get new stuff from Mozart's vault more often.<br><br>That's OK, I'll check back once a year rain or shine until it's available. Maybe I'll be able to show it to my grandkids.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 pm 

Isaac. The excuse about "It takes time and money to mix 5.1" on the Roxy DVD is not good enough anymore. Some of the forum members are sugar coating the Roxy DVD issue. The Roxy trailer was put up on this very website back in 2002 as far as I can remember (please correct me if I'm wrong), and that's closing up on three years now. Sebastiaan pointed out that the video already was mixed by FZ in 1987. I don't know why you (Isaac) think it's OK to wait this long, but they have had more than enough time to ensure that this would be the world's best DVD release ever. They have had the Roxy concert planned as a DVD (probably as a VHS, laserdisc or cinema release since 1987) for at least three years. There's no DVD release in the world that takes that much time to finish if you are actually working on it. <br><br>The thing that fucking pisses me of is that they have had the trailer out both on this website, and on the BBSNX DVD to tease us. <br><br>Three years is as we all know more than enough time (way to long time in my opinion) to mix the 5.1 audio. They are either working on it, or not. My thoughts now are that they are not!<br><br>The cost might be the issue. If they can't afford it, they shouldn't tease us with the trailer. Nobody asked for the trailer on this website. I think it's removed now (I haven't looked for it since I downloaded it three years ago), so I guess they had some problems and didn't want to tease us anymore. But why the hell did they then put it on the BBSNX DVD to tease us again?  ???<br><br>If they can't afford to mix it to 5.1 audio, then fuck it and release it as a good quality 2 channel stereo mix. FZ had already finished mixing this in stereo in 1987. I know a little about the cost of producing a DVD to the consumer market, and we're not talking about a huge investment here. To digitally remaster the audio and video, and syncing it all up would probably cost about the same as a decent new car, and I know that the ZFT can afford this (this is of course if they're not doing 5.1 AC3 or DTS)!<br><br>And if it's a issue of cost, why would they do BBSNX and Halloween in DTS and 5.1 AC3? I'm sure that the Roxy DVD would sell better than both combined.<br><br>I think all of the ZFT members are great, intelligent, funny and inspiring people, but there is no excuse anymore for the way they treat us fans on the Roxy DVD project. The could at least keep us updated and informed - They owe us that much! All that's needed is an update on this website on different projects once a month or so. They don't have to give us any promises, but at least tell us what's going on with projects they have earlier said that they are working on. If certain things are put on hold indefinately or dropped, then tell us. They should drop info on stuff they don't know when they are going to finish (like the Roxy DVD). If it wouldn't have been for the website trailer or BBSNX trailer, then none of us would be bitching about it!<br><br>No, Gail, Joe, Dweezil and the others are great people, but they are really treating the fans badly here. There's no good excuse for this.  :(<br><br>I would forgive them in a second if they actually took a couple of minutes out of their day to keep us updated on Roxy. We deserve that much....

Ding

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:43 am 

hello. I am a person who wait this DVD. :-*<br>I think Roxy-DVD might release as the first of new label.<br><br>I think...reason for the delay are simply trouble of contract?<br><br>However,they should announce some reason.  :-/<br>