Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: That damn Roxy DVD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:27 am 

ZappaArf wrote:
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this thread was started in 2002??? christ!

Quote:
...and not only that, they've been planning it for years.

At least since december 1973, so here we go one more time for the world:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:46 am 

Why are we still fussing about the Roxy DVD? We already know it's going to consist almost entirely of performances we already have in audio form - and that what should have been the main reason for purchasing - Dupree's Paradise - is one of those really mediocre performance in which Bruce's solo is over and done in the blink of an eye, while Frank's rambles on for ages using that nasty late-'73 timbre. Who needs it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 am 

There is someting like a hour on the roxy CD with some cuts and Eleswhere,the DVD is supposedly 4 hours uncut :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 pm 

cyst-array wrote:
Why are we still fussing about the Roxy DVD? We already know it's going to consist almost entirely of performances we already have in audio form

I can only guess that you spend your evenings happily listening to radio, while your neihbours enjoy the new invention, television.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:06 pm 

damn i want to see this. i hope they're serious about it happening this year. but the fact that this thread was started in 2002 makes me doubtful.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm 

Ha... I remember this thread from my first round here. My tip: DON'T WAIT! Don't expect this thing to come out at all. Imagine how happy you'd be when it DOES come out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 am 

Sadly, I've lost interest in this Roxy DVD. If it ever comes out in my lifetime, I'll still get it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:57 am 

Two complete stranger, one thought. And I'm gonna write a novel where Loreley steps out of the water and stuff. ..from very far away, on stable land.

Dweezil is planning to get more film editing under his hat. Hmm, 2011 is a year for ..more encore .. precious posts. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am 

Do you honestly think we're going to get a four hour "uncut" DVD? This is the ZFT, a bunch of con-tricksters who are contemptuous of (and incapable of comprehending) the scholarly fans.

They'll most probably give us a 90-minute disc consisting almost entirely of video footage of previously released performances. (Remember those clips that were on You Tube? The only potentially-exciting one, Dupree's, turned out to be an absolutely lousy version).

Remember their past form:
1. we wanted a Halloween '78 package full of the splendid improvisations and folkloric moments from those gigs - instead they gave us...the Halloween DVD-A (enough said)
2. we wanted a Petit Wazoo album featuring the splendid arrangements and non-Zappa-centric improvisations that made that band interesting - instead they gave us the shambles that was Imaginary Diseases
3. a 1981 DVD would have been worthwhile if it gathered all the most interesting musical moments (the more improvisational numbers, Drowning Witch, Sinister Footwear and WNIB?/Moggio)
Instead we got...The Torture Never Stops.
4. In fairness: FZ OZ, Wazoo, Buffalo and Phily are all very good albums, but if they really were going to be the last word on their particular eras, they needed to be a whole lot better. Triple discs combining the core repertoire (from a single show) with a broad range of seldom-played tunes and outstanding solos/improvs/monologs from the rest of the tour. (If they didn't have the stuff in the vault they could always have "beaten the boots").

And with a track record like that, they had the gall to shut down Gilles' Friday Boots, and other non-profit-making "by the fans, for the fans" services. Just because they're losing a few meager pence in mechanical royalties (itself a morally dubious concept - see my previous rants on the nature of "intellectual property").

To the Zappas and their minions: grow up, fuck off and get a proper 9-5 job you bunch of lazy-arse scum. Quick, before we kill you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm 

"thanks.....I needed that."

(the great big slap in the face to reality check)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:03 am 

What's that old saying?

"Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed."

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:55 am 

vince_de_wild wrote:
What's that old saying?

"Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed."

Well, if you get nothing, then that's what I want.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:31 pm 

...a true Zen saying...

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:59 pm 

Just remember that old Billy Preston song...

"That's the way, Frank made it.
That's the way Frank wants it to be...eee."

As Trendy keeps saying, no matter what does or doesn't come to pass, it's part of His (Frank's) great plan.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm 

Nothing is what I'll get.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 am 

I find it interesting that this forum seems to be propagated by "fans" who do little but criticize what ZFT has done with vault material.

I, for one, am a fan of the most recent releases especially and am hoping for the Roxy DVD to come out soon. I've been listening to Roxy & Elsewhere since I was just a little boy and have always imagined what the concert would've actually looked like. I hope to watch it in it's entirety (at least one night) some day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:58 am 

punkguysc wrote:
I find it interesting that this forum seems to be propagated by "fans" who do little but criticize what ZFT has done with vault material.

Some call independent thinking negativity, or even fanaskeptosaurus (?) behaviour. Gail complained about Frank's negativity, too, in that cool old Dutch documentary from the Flo & Eddie years... You could call it a method.

I reserve judgment on Roxy until it appears. In addition to the purely technical problems, it's probably hard to make the visuals as dynamic and inventive as the music. Just check out the trailer on Baby Snakes. The footage is pretty static, and the editing style of the trailer is too epileptic for a four hour long show, I should think.

But let's hope for the best 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 am 

I've got high hopes, and I realize that in the end it is just going to be a concert film. I've always imagined the visual aspect of those recordings and can't wait to some day (hopefully) watch the show completely. Especially the segment for "Be-Bop Tango".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am 

Probably stating the obvious, but I suspect there is some sort of legal holdup on this dvd release, as opposed to a technical holdup. I really don't think they're just "sitting on it" to be sitting on it.

Has anyone asked Dweezil about it? Or is he just as evasive?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 pm 

bracton wrote:
Probably stating the obvious, but I suspect there is some sort of legal holdup on this dvd release, as opposed to a technical holdup. I really don't think they're just "sitting on it" to be sitting on it.

Has anyone asked Dweezil about it? Or is he just as evasive?

The last time he was asked (which was earlier this year/late last year), he said they were working on it. But nothing will get done while he's on tour, so I suspect you shouldn't get your hopes up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 am 

Frank, me probably calling Charlie from "U r what u is!" (eat, drink, think, speak n do!) on our first meeting with the elders of the human race, wouldn't have to point out, "Dunno why it's taking so long, that Roxy&Elsewhere isn't yet sailing over the ether and so 4ce." - "Why, a very few are indeed listening and i tell you more, ledz wait for that thunderbolt from Big BaENg to go tall the hey, way, till at the, it depends, multivariant end, the sound echo will get picked up by the then hopefully first god?...! (your chance - latest in astro sci, myUniverse is lost without the solutions) for a hyfly ..crashcendo." - "Noise one." - "FanQ. Now the ample fires ;:-) Super concert bezzywe in 198o; the big bodyguard got a tiny lil tad bit concerned, didn't he. With me shouting thrice over the top for all it was worth." - "It eggshellee wasn't, wozzit?"[url][/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:29 am 

There's gonna be a dvd?!?! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:43 pm 

Roxy and Elsewhere = Delayer Shrew Oxen

You figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:50 pm 

I think I did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:34 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I think I did.

Not likely !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next