Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IT CONQUERED THE WORLD!
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:06 pm 

[center]Image<br><br>FRANK ZAPPA: "Cheepnis." Let me tell you something, do you like monster movies? Anybody? I LOVE monster movies, I simply adore monster movies, and the cheaper they are, the better they are. And cheepnis in the case of a monster movie has nothing to do with the budget of the film, although it helps, but true cheepnis is exemplified by visible nylon strings attached to the jaw of a giant spider . . . I'll tell you, a good one that I saw one time, I think the name of the film was "IT CONQUERED THE WORLD," and the . . . Did you ever see that one? The monster looks sort of like an inverted ice-cream cone with teeth around the bottom. It looks like a (phew!), like a teepee or . . . sort of a rounded off pup-tent affair, and, uh, it's got fangs on the base of it, I don't know why but it's a very threatening sight, and then he's got a frown and, you know, ugly mouth and everything, and there's this one scene where the, uh, monster is coming out of a cave, see? There's always a scene where they come out of a cave, at least once, and the rest of the cast . . . it musta been made around the 1950's, the lapels are about like that wide, the ties are about that wide and about this short, and they always have a little revolver that they're gonna shoot the monster with, and there is always a girl who falls down and twists her ankle . . . heh-hey! Of course there is! You know how they are, the weaker sex and everything, twisting their ankle on behalf of the little ice-cream cone. Well in this particular scene, in this scene, folks, they, uh, they didn't wanna re-take it 'cause it musta been so good they wanted to keep it, but they . . . when the monster came out of the cave, just over on the left hand side of the screen you can see about this much two-by-four attached to the bottom of the Thing as the guy is pushing it out, and then obviously off-camera somebody's goin': "NO! GET IT BACK!" And they drag it back just a little bit as the guy is goin': "KCH! KCH!" Now that's cheepnis. Awright. And this is "Cheepnis" here. One two three four . . .(Roxy & Elsewhere)[/center]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:29 am 

so, IT does exists!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:15 am 

They watched thsi movie on MST3K. The weird thing was that nobody made any Zappa references (which they usually do).

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:22 pm 

I downloaded this movie in good quality recently.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:13 pm 

My favorite way to comment on this movie: "Peter Graves has dark hair, and Lee Van Cleef HAS hair". Truly some of the goofiest dialogue ever, but doesn't hold a candle to "Robot Monster" in the Cheepnis department. But then nothing does.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:21 pm 

[quote author=MustBeACamel link=board=tv-film;num=1116140762;start=0#4 date=05/18/05 at 18:08:08]Some irony for you.....<br>First, Frank immortalizes "It Conquered The World" (starring Peter Graves) in "Cheepnis."<br><br>20 years later, Peter Graves introduces the segment about Frank on A&E's "Biography."<br><br>If you've never seen the MST3K treatment of the film, download it.  It's a stitch.  [/quote]<br><br><br>What is 'MST3K' ???<br><br>Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:19 am 

[center]<br><br>The monster looks sort of like an inverted ice-cream cone with teeth around the bottom. It looks like a (phew!), like a teepee or . . . sort of a rounded off pup-tent affair, and, uh, it's got fangs on the base of it, I don't know why but it's a very threatening sight, and then he's got a frown and, you know, ugly mouth and everything....<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image[/center]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:41 pm 

[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:39 pm 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=tv-film;num=1116140762;start=0#9 date=05/20/05 at 00:41:05][center]Image[/center][/quote]<br><br> :oAHH!! :o this one looks far more scary than the original,yet like his dad he has the "ugly mouth" and the "fangs" and is "very  threatening"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:42 pm 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=tv-film;num=1116140762;start=0#8 date=05/19/05 at 07:19:48][center]<br><br>[b]The monster looks sort of like an inverted ice-cream cone with teeth around the bottom.<br><br>Image<br><br><br>thanks for this pic unica,iv'e never seen the film so have had to imagine what the monster would look like,and this is pretty close to what i thought it would be like, ;D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:53 am 

I bought a VHS many years ago of It Conquered the World and was very disappointed, after listening to FZ talk about it for years, that my copy did not show the 2" x 4".  I guess it was chopped down from widescreen or something.  It was very funny although somewhat spoiled as I had been waiting for that famous bit. Does anyone have a copy of the film where they can see it as described by Frank?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 am 

Thanks for this pic of that movie.<br>Frank's introduction to "Cheepnis" on "Roxy & Elsewhere" is the reason of my nickname here !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:52 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=tv-film;num=1116140762;start=15#15 date=09/30/05 at 08:38:54]Thanks for this pic of that movie.<br>Frank's introduction to "Cheepnis" on "Roxy & Elsewhere" is the reason of my nickname here ![/quote]<br><br>good choice ;D I LOVE MONSTER MOVIES ;D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:23 am 

[quote author=floss link=board=tv-film;num=1116140762;start=0#13 date=09/26/05 at 05:53:55]I bought a VHS many years ago of It Conquered the World and was very disappointed, after listening to FZ talk about it for years, that my copy did not show the 2" x 4".  I guess it was chopped down from widescreen or something.  It was very funny although somewhat spoiled as I had been waiting for that famous bit. Does anyone have a copy of the film where they can see it as described by Frank?[/quote]<br>No-one answered me - I guess that means no, or you are all going to watch your copies again to check for me. Thanks in advance.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:37 pm 

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_revi ... _world.htm

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm 

BULLETS CAN'T STOP IT!! ROCKETS CAN'T STOP IT!!!!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 pm 

Were they cowards in the 50's or what? Ooh, scary!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

No...just had an imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:50 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm sorry, I've touched a nerve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm sorry, I've touched a nerve.

Well...it's these people who put on a rolly-eyed look, and say "It's just a guy in a rubber suit." Well, yeah, what do they expect? The filmmakers to use a real, live 60' tall dinosaur to stomp on a real city?
I mean, it's not like modern filmmaking...which is only fancy cartoon drawings, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:50 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Well...it's these people who put on a rolly-eyed look, and say "It's just a guy in a rubber suit." Well, yeah, what do they expect? The filmmakers to use a real, live 60' tall dinosaur to stomp on a real city?
I mean, it's not like modern filmmaking...which is only fancy cartoon drawings, right?

Holy shit.

*Marks *Old movies* off list of topics to discuss with jpd*