Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:27 am 

Someone on here HAS to own this movie.   I want you guys to see how cool and sly this is.   Mind you, this is before they grow the nakkin's, just a duck billed potato head atop a prison uniform.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:56 pm 

Thank god someone has this dvd.  <br>Okay, i don't remember exactly what is going on in the scene as I have only seen the movie once when it come out, but there is indeed what appears to be a mammy nun pre-nakkin in the background for a split second, I rewound and paused and watched it over multiple times and am sure, "something" is there.   I wish I could give you a scene reference.  they are in the backof a pickup, that'sall I remember.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:18 pm 

Thank you so much for checking this out!   I was never totally positive it was a mammy nun, but that guy did look way to bulky for it to be a normal head, from what I remember anyways.  I guess the brimmed hat was what I saw as the duckbill.    You see the guy from behind right?  just so I know we're on the same page.  thanks again for checking that over.  It was the language that had me in that mindframe, then that image just blew me over.  I guess it was just too good to be true!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:58 pm 

Thanks a million.   I'm glad to have this definitively bunked now.(not as glad as having unearthed THE coolest Zappa reference, butohwell!)  Sorry to Dove for not listening to her, I just needed to hear it from someone who was able to check out that specific scene and id what I was talking about.  I did watch this on a VHS, so pausing is never a very clear picture.  The dream will always live on in my head though!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:12 am 

Did anyone notice the Zappa poster in the room of a guy in "a nightmare on elm street 2"?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:47 pm 

I've heard mention of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:56 am 

A couple of hints from a province of the Empire:<br><br>In the Italian movie "Kamikazen" (1987) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093333/) directed by Gabriele Salvatores (who won the Oscar with "Mediterraneo" as best foreign film in 1992), the comedian Paolo Rossi plays a guy named "Walter Zappa", and on a wall in his flat hangs the '84 Tour poster (the one with the green kitchen glove).<br><br>In "Impiegati" by Pupi Avati (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087462/) , the actor Nik Novecento says to a colleague: "Didn't anybody ever tell you you look like Frank Zappa?"<br><br>I also recall that some years ago RAI (the Italian public TV network) made a funny commercial inviting people to pay the annual fee and for the soundtrack they used "Be In My Video".<br><br>That's it. I wanted also to complete this (partially OT) FZ-related Italian media excursus with some pictures (among wich a beautiful Pioneer publicity page centered around FZ) but don't know how to attach pics in a message... <br> :-[<br>If someone could explain how to do, I'll be glad to share this material with you!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:42 am 

Hey ! <br>One of my favourite movie is a french-originnaly-broadcasted-on-TV-movie wich calls "le péril jeune"<br>It's a story about young 18yo students in 1075.<br>We see : <br>- the LP cover of Overniet sensation<br>- The closet poster<br>- a tag in the street "Frank Zappa" like the "Frank Zappa" of the closet poster.<br><br>See U

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:39 pm 

[quote author=marcomat link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=75#86 date=06/02/05 at 03:56:18]...explain how to do, I'll be glad to share this material with you![/quote]<br>love to see it...<br><br>for posting pics, use this button [sub]Image[/sub] [sub]Image[/sub] [clik button for help]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:00 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=75#88 date=06/02/05 at 23:39:12]<br>love to see it...<br><br>for posting pics, use this button [sub]Image[/sub] [sub]Image[/sub] [clik button for help][/quote]<br><br>Thanks, slime, for assistance (hope it will work - I'm fairly new at these things...)<br><br>This is the Pioneer publicity. Apart from the clearly visible SY, YAWYI and JFH LPs, on the pick-up of the bass there's the ticket of the '84 tour, while on the stool on the right (where a white BTHW shirt lies nonchalantly) the SUAPYG box and a vhs tape labelled in Italian "Zappa concert 88". The note under the tv set reads: "Closed for FZ Concert". On the shelf on the right is recognizable the official UA vhs of 200 Motels.<br>The slogan says: "Watch it less, but watch it better"<br><br>Image<br><br><br>Here's the cover of Sansui Catalogue 94/95<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:37 pm 

pretty loose link but,as people mentioned "spinal tap". the spoof band in question's album is called "smell the glove" i think this is a reference from be in my video from them or us,(maybe),some one else mentioned the zappa poster on the wall in this film,so maybe some one working on this film was a zappa fan ???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 am 

[quote author=fatcat link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=75#87 date=06/02/05 at 05:42:18]Hey ! <br>One of my favourite movie is a french-originnaly-broadcasted-on-TV-movie wich calls "le péril jeune"<br>It's a story about young 18yo students in 1075.<br>We see : <br>- the LP cover of Overniet sensation<br>- The closet poster<br>- a tag in the street "Frank Zappa" like the "Frank Zappa" of the closet poster.<br><br>See U[/quote]<br><br><br>It's a rather popular flick in France. There is this scene where the young english teacher (well, it's not actually an english teacher, it's an english girl who came to assist the english teacher, but who gives a fuck anyway). She is supposed to have the alumni to listen to "Overnite Sensation" (that's when we see the LP cover) but the music we hear when she plays the record is that fuckin' tune from "Steppen Wolf" Born to be wild ! Bullshit, I was very dissapointed not to hear a bit of "OS". I figure that the director though FZ tunes was not popular enough in France, so he had to fine a "catchier" tune to put in the background.<br><br>Also, my cousin (who only knows a bit about FZ) thinks that there is some kinda FZ cameo in "Forrest Gump" when Forrest's "girlfriend" Jenny attempts to commit suicide. Just before she climbs on the balcony, we briefly see one guy going out of her bed. In my cousin's opinion, this guy is supposed to play FZ ... Uhmmm .....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:10 pm 

You might not believe this, folks, but a poster of Frank Zappa was in an episode of Friends (the TV sitcom). In that episode, Chandler was talking to Julia Roberts in front of a music store, which displayed very prominentely a poster of "Strictly Commercial".<br><br>"Happy Together", by the Hong Kung director Kar Wai Wong, featured many(!) guitar solos by Frank Zappa. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I remember that Chunga's Revenge was played in the background during a long scene in a butcher's house. Also included were "Sexual harrassment in the workplace", "I have been in you" and the Filmore East's version of "Happy Together". As a matter of fact, the "Strictly Commercial" album was marketed as the soundtrack to the movie in some Asian countries because so many tracks were used. <br><br>Kar Wai Wong was awarded the Best Director by the 1997 Cannes for this film. You really should check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:14 pm 

Here's another Zappa reference in the sitcom Friends: Joey was starting to work as a waiter in a coffee shop. His friend Chandler said "Joey, here's your first tip - don't eat the yellow snow."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:34 pm 

"I figure that the director though FZ tunes was not popular enough in France, so he had to fine a "catchier" tune to put in the background. "<br>It's more likely the director wanted the cd in the movie (since he was probably there when they shot that scene), but the producers decided it wasn't commercial enough and added steppenwolf.  or maybe he couldn't clear the rights for the song from ZFT.   Scenes for movies get shot long before decisions on music are finalized.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 am 

[quote author=hhyu00 link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=90#95 date=10/22/05 at 21:14:28]Here's another Zappa reference in the sitcom Friends: Joey was starting to work as a waiter in a coffee shop. His friend Chandler said "Joey, here's your first tip - don't eat the yellow snow."[/quote]<br><br>Actually, that yellow snow joke may be older than Zappa. But I guess they got it from him anyway.<br><br>[img]http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10476/RobinDance[1].gif[/img]<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:22 pm 

[quote author=hhyu00 link=board=tv-film;num=1082826458;start=90#94 date=10/22/05 at 21:10:36]You might not believe this, folks, but a poster of Frank Zappa was in an episode of Friends (the TV sitcom). In that episode, Chandler was talking to Julia Roberts in front of a music store, which displayed very prominentely a poster of "Strictly Commercial".<br><br>"Happy Together", by the Hong Kung director Kar Wai Wong, featured many(!) guitar solos by Frank Zappa. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I remember that Chunga's Revenge was played in the background during a long scene in a butcher's house. Also included were "Sexual harrassment in the workplace", "I have been in you" and the Filmore East's version of "Happy Together". As a matter of fact, the "Strictly Commercial" album was marketed as the soundtrack to the movie in some Asian countries because so many tracks were used. <br><br>Kar Wai Wong was awarded the Best Director by the 1997 Cannes for this film. You really should check it out.[/quote]<br><br>I second his opinion. Kar Wai rules.<br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next