Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: FZ on the Radio
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:25 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=tv-film;num=1060986952;start=0#0 date=08/15/03 at 15:35:52]<br>Kevin Matthews (radio personality) opened his show with a live version of Yo Mama a couple of days ago. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Kevin Matthews used to play a lot more Frank as well as Dweezil in the past, when he used to be at the Loop (WLUP). He had Frank on the air on several times , and Dweezil and/or Ahmet and/or Moon on many occasions. I have most of those appearances on tape.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:21 am 

Talking about FZ on the radio, I have a 3-CD set of FZ on KPPC Radio (Pasadena, California November 27, 1968 ). No FZ music but hilarious oldies: Screamin' Jay Hawkins, JB Lenoir, The Turbans, Johnny "Guitar" Watson and so on. FZ brought his own LPs. The commercials are funny. But the best part is at the end :)<br>I'm not sure this stuff is widely spread. Who has a copy of it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:16 pm 

I remember Frank used to be a fairly frequent guest on<br>WNEW-FM in NYC. Scott Muni usually handled the interviews.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:30 am 

I have the following:<br><br>Frank:<br><br>01/08      1988      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      30min<br>03/04      1988      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      15min<br>11/07      1988      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      45min<br>06/16      1989      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      50min<br>12/06      1989      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      40min<br>12/21      1992      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      15min<br>03/12      1993      WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - interview      12min<br><br>DZ, AZ, MZ<br><br>06/--      1988      Dweezil - WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show - 15min      <br>08/10      1993      Dweezil - WLUP AM 1000 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show      18min<br>12/18      1993      Dweezil - WLUP FM 97.9 - Chicago, IL - Kevin Matthews Show      21min<br>06/03      1994      Dweezil, Ahmet - WLUP FM 97.9 - Chicago, IL - fill in DJs      145min<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:17 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=tv-film;num=1060986952;start=0#4 date=08/20/03 at 08:21:12]Talking about FZ on the radio, I have a 3-CD set of FZ on KPPC Radio (Pasadena, California November 27, 1968 ). No FZ music but hilarious oldies: Screamin' Jay Hawkins, JB Lenoir, The Turbans, Johnny "Guitar" Watson and so on. FZ brought his own LPs. The commercials are funny. But the best part is at the end :)<br>I'm not sure this stuff is widely spread. Who has a copy of it?[/quote]<br><br><br>I DO, I DO!!  <br><br>I love this broadcast, it's obvious Frank and the dj were having a lot of fun.  I liked Frank's Ruben and The Jets promo and when Frank played Annie Had A Baby at 78 rpm.  And yeah, the ending was pretty funny.  Why the hell can't radio be like that anymore?<br>

Post subject: WMUH Allentown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:35 pm 

I live in Allentown, PA and do a radio show at WMUH Allentown, Muhlenberg College's station. FZ is a god there, at least amongst the community (non-student) programmers. By which I mean FZ gets played regularly by a good number of the djs there, myself included. One of the djs used to do a "Mother's Day" special; every Mother's Day he'd play nothing but FZ and the Mothers all day. My friend (and fellow dj) 'Little Stevie Bon Bon' and I did the Mother's Day thing last year from 2-6am. So...um...if you live in Allentown, PA and you like Zappa...you're in luck. If you have real audio you can listen to WMUH online:<br>http://www.muhlenberg.edu/wmuh<br>Click the Real Audio link in the left frame, etc. I can't guarantee you'll hear a lot of Zappa this time of the year--the students get first pick of show slots during the school year (I didn't end up getting a show this semester) and lot of them have never heard any music produced before 1999. A good bet is to tune in Saturday nights from 8-11pm. That's Little Stevie Bon Bon's show, Radiowave Distortion. He plays a lot of Zappa, and if he's not playing enough for your taste, you can request stuff if you have AOLIM. The screen name is 'WMUH request'. <br>There you have it. WMUH is your occasional source for Frank Zappa on the radio. <br>-ratchet!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:09 am 

not too often here, I did get a DJ to play Dinah-Mo-Hum one night at like 4:30am during my lunch break.......very rare occurance of FZ in these parts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:15 am 

The only, and I mean ONLY, station in these here parts (Santa Maria, CA --Central Coast o' Cali) is K-OTTER, which is up North, near San Luis Obispo. I heard them play"Eddie, Are You Kidding?" and almost caused an accident  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:03 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=tv-film;num=1060986952;start=0#4 date=08/20/03 at 08:21:12]Talking about FZ on the radio, I have a 3-CD set of FZ on KPPC Radio (Pasadena, California November 27, 1968 ). No FZ music but hilarious oldies: Screamin' Jay Hawkins, JB Lenoir, The Turbans, Johnny "Guitar" Watson and so on. FZ brought his own LPs. The commercials are funny. But the best part is at the end :)<br>I'm not sure this stuff is widely spread. Who has a copy of it?[/quote]<br><br> This is one Mutha of a radio show!<br> With references to Captain Glasspack and it's Magic Mufflers...<br> ...Hank Ballard and the Midnighters<br> ...Don and Dewey as well as the Secret Greasings of Reuben and the Jets and many other R'n'B group's of th day, how could you not have this?<br> Conceptual Continuity Clues ,..by th pound!<br>  all this and more,at KPPC FM..w/special guest FZ<br>  ...just follow the searchlight<br><br>Image    Hank Ballard and the Midnighters<br><br>Image    Don (Sugarcane) Harris left Dewey Terry on right. Fred Harris is on the sax, Johnny Otis behind<br><br>Image   Oh,..and this guy is still oweing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:42 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=tv-film;num=1060986952;start=15#16 date=02/24/04 at 17:12:38]<br><br>27 November 1968<br>KPPC<br>Pasadena, CA<br>180 minutes<br>FZ playing some of his favorite R&B records<br><br>Ramblin' Woman - Big Moose<br>No No Cherry - The Turbans<br>Guitar Player (Play Those Blues For Me) - Johnny "Guitar" Watson<br>Tick Tock A Woo - The Turbans<br>Doo-wah - The Spaniels<br>Mama, Talk To Your Daughter - J.B Lenoir<br>The Eisenhower Blues - J.B Lenoir<br>Mama, Your Daughter Is Gonna Miss Me - J.B Lenoir<br>I'm In Korea - J.B Lenoir<br>1959 Volvo - Vernon Green & The Medallions<br>Edna - Vernon Green & The Medallions<br>Speedin' - Vernon Green & The Medallions<br>Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & The Comets<br>Rubber Biscuits - The Chips<br>It's Hot - Johnny "Guitar" Watson<br>I - The Velvets<br>Louie Louie - Richard Berry & The Pharaohs<br>Memories Of El Monte - The Penguins<br>Three Hours Past Midnight - Johnny "Guitar" Watson<br>Crashing The Party - The Feathers<br>Miss Sue - Don & Dewey<br>Little Love - Don & Dewey<br>Soul Motion - Don & Dewey<br>Angel In My Life - The Jewels<br>Guided Missile - The Cufflinks<br>[Cruising With Ruben & The Jets ad]<br>Pledging My Love - Johnny Ace<br>P.B. Baby - Wilbur Whitfield<br>Work With Me Annie - Hank Ballard & The Midniters<br>Annie Had A Baby - Hank Ballard & The Midniters<br>Sexy Ways - Hank Ballard & The Midniters<br>Stingy Little Thing - Hank Ballard & The Midniters<br>Valarie - Jackie & The Starlites<br>I Am The Japanese Sandman - The Cellos<br>Home In Alcatraz - Rolling Crew<br>I Put A Spell On You - Screaming Jay Hawkins<br>Swing Low, Sweet Chariot - Paul Robeson<br>Valarie - Jackie & The Starlites<br>(Oh My Lady?) - ?<br>Okie Dokie Stomp - Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown<br>A Casual Look - Six Teens<br>(The Day The Whole Town Cried?) - ?<br>Dixie Danny - The Laurie Sisters[/quote]<br><br>part one of this show is now available from http://www.thebignote.com/archived/cove ... idemen.php<br><br>so get downloading ladies n' gennlemen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:32 pm 

...also got another Fz radio show<br>WPLR New Haven 4-18-75<br>Where FZ & Beef front up to th radio station complete with acetate tracks off th unreleased Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt albums (it would be 3 or 4 year's until such time) amongst other gems.<br>  Imo th mutha of all mothers period,and the band that never was,battles with Warner wanks looming etc...<br><br> Intro & interview<br> Anyway th wind Blows<br> San Berdino (acetate)<br> Intro to<br> 200 Years Old (acetate)<br> Intro to<br> Inca Roads (acetate)<br> Can't Afford No Shoes (acetate)<br> Intro to<br> Regyptian Strut (acetate)<br> FZ reads th weather forecast<br> Intro to<br> Greggary Peccary (acetate)<br> Concert Ad<br> Interview & intro to<br> Pojama People<br> More interview & outro..<br> Orange Claw Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:18 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=tv-film;num=1060986952;start=0#1 date=08/15/03 at 15:52:35]I haven't lately but it's always good to post this link:<br><br>http://www.omroep.nl/nps/4fm/<br><br>the nps is a radiostation in The Netherlands and thanks to guys like Co de Kloet who works there we can still hear Zappa on the radio in The Netherlands. Not that often...<br><br>Click on Zappa's picture and you can hear parts of interviews, very interesting! There's also a very long (almost 3 hours) (!) interview with Steve Vai. (click his pic)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Great link Sebastiaan, In one of the interview snippets Frank expresses his disgust about the Albums with the Gary Panter covers, I wonder why he didn't repackage them after he reagained<br>ownership of them??<br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:45 pm 

Norwegian listeners should tune into NRK P3 tonight at 20:00. I hear that Harald Are Lund has made a series of programs about FZ, that will air on the next few Mondays.