Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:20 am 

Great footage from both the Napoleon, Duke, etc. band and the Thunes, Martin, WIllis, Wackerman band.<br><br>There's a totally whacked on-stage sketch with Napoleon and Frank on giant phones. <br><br>It's loaded with inside jokes, touring sarcasm, and madness. Frank wants to order "a green hoker, in a greyhound locker, in the Pygme Twilight". ANyone know if there's any meaning to it?<br><br>I'd recommend seeking out this classic film. There's more Bruce BIckford animation from the Baby Snakes video. <br><br>Anyway, there's just some cool, craziness on there.<br><br>If any one can decode some of the madness, please do. Maybe it's not to be interpreted.<br><br>Frank and Napoleon have an absoute blast on stage together. <br><br>Must see. <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:19 am 

I watch it about once a week. Of the video's I have (TDRS, DHBIM, Baby Snakes, 200 Motels, The Amazing Mr. Bickford + some stuff I downloaded from the internet), The Dub Room Special is the best... that's my feeling right now, anyway. I like the guitar solos, especially the one on Florentine Pogen. <br><br>As far as the scetch goes, I think the version on YCDTOSA VOL 2 is a lot better. On TDRS it really drags out, I think, and that may be the reason why - towards the end of it - Zappa comments on "wearing out the potential of this routine", or something like that. <br><br>Putting Bickfords claymation over several guitar solos (and even adding sound effects) + the stuff with Massimo Bassoli is probably a gimmick... an attempt to put the audience's patience to the test. But that's nothing new when it comes to Zappa, I guess. <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:49 am 

What's with that Italian guy who sings that tune in Italian? He looks like a relative of Franks. Does the Amazing Bickford have FZ music in it? <br> <br>I'm trying ot figure out where that COmpact video studio is because I live right down the street from NBC studios. I also drive by the old Barfko Swill/Zappa Records office on Ventura Blvd.  <br> <br>They had a yard sale called "Joe's Garage Sale". Gail was there selling alot of Dweezils old equip.  <br> <br>Anyway man keep up the Dub ROom. Maybe it will be released in stores soon?  <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:18 am 

Here's a link talking about Massimo Bassoli (the Italian dude):<br><br>http://www.united-mutations.com/b/massimo_bassoli.htm<br><br>Here's some way-cool screen captures:<br><br>http://www.fredunzel.com/videos/dub-room/<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:33 am 

Also, buy the Roxy & Elsewhere CD and listen to the track "Pygmy Twilight" and you'll understand Frank's order better.<br><br>And yes, The Amazing Mr Bickford does have Zappa music on it, and does The Video From Hell (another Bickford/Zappa coloboration).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:31 am 

[quote author=punky_kent link=board=tv-film;num=1105993232;start=0#2 date=01/18/05 at 08:49:16]What's with that Italian guy who sings that tune in Italian?   <br>[/quote]<br><br>It's "Tengo Na Minchia Tanta" from Uncle Meat. How could FZ avoid the temptation of having an Italian guy visiting who would be able to sing it..?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:50 am 

Basic track:<br>Stadio Communale La Favorita, Palermo, Italy<br>July 14, 1982 (soundcheck)<br>Vocal over-dubs: <br>UMRK<br>September, 1982<br><br>Massimo Bassoli vocals<br>FZ guitar<br>Tommy Mars keyboards <br>Scott Thunes bass <br>Chad Wackerman drums<br><br><br>http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/translations/UM.html#Minchia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:00 am 

Too bad, Vincent. I'll see if I still have the torrent and if so I'll try to reseed it. It's definitely worth getting.<br><br>And if the ZFT ever get aroung to releasing it on DVD I know I will definitely be buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:38 pm 

Here you go:<br><br>http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=2294<br><br>Sorry about the firewalled ports. I have them open on my firewall, but my lousy ISP insists on firewalling EVERYTHING...  In any case, I'll try to leave this open for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:00 am 

I d/l'ed it when I had the Interweb at home, but my hard drive crashed, and I didn't have enough room on my backup hard drive to keep it.  :'( Hopefully I can find a job soon so I can d/l this again.