Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Monkees
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:18 pm 

I downloaded the FZ appearence on the Monkees from Kazaa. But did FZ actually appear on the program or was it the motion picture "Head?"

Post subject: Re: Monkees
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:26 pm 

The appearance on the MONKEES SHOW was of Frank and Mike talking,then destroying a(1950's) car with chains to a soundtrack of "the Mother People"...<br>The "HEAD" piece is the one with Frank walking the cow.<br><br>     You need Head(Come now,no smart remarks here!),'cause it is one great movie.  A freak-out of a movie ,in fact.It may have also influenced 200 Motels too(or maybe that would be the whole Monkees TV show)?It depends on how ya look at it...try standing on your head(Naw,just kidding!).

Post subject: re: monkees/zappa/head
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:50 pm 

the monkees were huge for a short time & head was their best effort i.m.o....<br><br>head is essentially the monkees attempting to join the counterculture by denouncing themselves as plastic....the film's best cameo is zappa leading a cow across a soundstage while advising jones to work on his singing; to this day, jones seems to harbor a certain resentment about the scene:  <br><br>davey jones:
Quote:
That was completely Bob Mr. Cynic Rafelson & Bert Mr. Whacko Schneider. They have me do this little song and dance and then, in a sense, dampen my flame by having Zappa standing there saying: 'Well, that was very white, man. Mooooooo. Not very good, was it?'  :'(<br>But Frank was okay. We had him on another program. Frank was full of the fun of the fair. He knew what it was all about. It wasn't a personal putdown. He understood what we did.
<br><br>The way Tork and Dolenz remember it, The Monkees weren't snubbed by their fellow musicians. That was more of a media pursuit. Like Tork, Dolenz socialized with the hippest rock stars of the day, including the Beatles & Hendrix. Tork recalls: The Beatles never had a harsh word to say, Janis Joplin never bad-mouthed us. When Jimi Hendrix was asked directly about all that, he said, 'Well, Peter and Mickey are sweet guys.' The people who bad-mouthed us were people who were not sure if they had careers of their own.<br><br>adds mickey D: And the press...Rolling Stone still hates us, to this day...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:15 pm 

"HEAD" is an excellent film, even without the Zappa cameo. That Monkees episode with Nez & FZ is a classic!<br>LOL! <br>  Ok....I am not ashamed to admit it. <br>I still like the Monkees!<br>They were manufactured, but they sure did have a bunch of good tunes.<br>( Stephen Stills & Neil Young did some session<br>work for the Monkees. Buffalo Springfield had broken<br>up and they needed the work, I guess.  ;D )<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:34 am 

The Monkees appearance explains why some of the songs on We're Only In It For The Money sounded familiar when I purchased the lp. Mother People for one was used on the Monkees show while Mike and Frank were demolishing the car. Yes, I was a closet Monkees watcher. The show was entertaining. But I don't own a Monkees record. I had to draw the line somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:03 pm 

I have a ton of Monkees cds. I got into a Monkees mood<br>a few years back.<br>  I really like Nez's albums.<br>His First National Band albums are excellent!<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:20 pm 

Despite the bagging they copped at the time and however their music was made (session players, etc), they still put out some very snappy pop songs written by some of the best songwriters in history. I was a fan at the time and recently bought a compilation CD for those songs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:31 pm 

I looked for that at KAZAA but didn't find it- I typed "mother people mike nesmith frank zappa" and "frank zappa monkees". Do you have any details about the clip? I have wanted to see that clip again ever since it first aired! ???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:04 pm 

yes he actually appeared on the show. i seen it last week on the biography channel they were doing a show on the monkees and lo and behold there was the clip with zappa.

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:39 pm 

What season of the Monkees TV show was the Zappa episode?

Post subject: re: monkees
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:08 pm 

[quote author=dean link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=0#12 date=09/14/03 at 23:39:58]What season of the Monkees TV show was the Zappa episode?[/quote]<br>the monkees blow their minds, 3-11-68[sub]Image[/sub]

Post subject: Re: monkees
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:55 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=0#13 date=09/15/03 at 00:08:30]<br>the monkees blow their minds, 3-11-68[sub]Image[/sub][/quote]<br>Thanks. Hopefully Rhino will release this episode sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:07 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=0#11 date=09/14/03 at 02:04:08]yes he actually appeared on the show. i seen it last week on the biography channel they were doing a show on the monkees and lo and behold there was the clip with zappa.[/quote]<br><br>Watch the Monkees everyday on Much More Music here in Canada and seen only the one episode with Zappa on it where he beat the crap out of the car in the begining of the show never seen him on any other episodes maybe missed a few ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:08 pm 

I loved the Monkees! My oldest brother and his friends made fun of them, but who gives a fuck? Ever check out the horn section and that smoking guitar solo on "Valleri"? Whoever is doing that solo sounds like he's on the fringe of wiping out but just manages to keep it together. <br><br>Another classic (well, classic for me) was a song called "Goin' Down". Anybody ever heard that one? Wow. The energy and delivery on that song is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:23 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=15#17 date=09/20/03 at 22:08:10]Another classic (well, classic for me) was a song called "Goin' Down". Anybody ever heard that one? Wow. The energy and delivery on that song is amazing.[/quote]<br>Yeah, great track - I can hardly keep up with the words just listening, christ knows how dolenz managed to sing it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:41 pm 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=15#18 date=09/20/03 at 22:23:08]<br>Yeah, great track - I can hardly keep up with the words just listening, christ knows how dolenz managed to sing it.[/quote]<br>I've thought it would be cool to get that song to Mike Myers before he makes another "Austin Powers" movie. Can you imagine what he might do with that?  ;D LOL! I bet that song would end up in every dance club in the world after that. It already should be anyway. I've put it on a tape I play between sets when I play out. The whole energy of the room changes by the time that song is over. ;D No shit! EVERY time!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:17 pm 

I used to really like "Star Collector"---even when I was a kid--I had no idea it might be about a groupie-type person! And for sheer fun, there's always "Gonna Buy Me A Dog"  ;D "Zulu's?" "No, I usually won". Ya Hadda be there.......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:59 pm 

My daughters and I watch the Monkees. Actually, we watched one today.<br><br>I bought the entire VHS collection and have fun with the humor.<br>  they watch 'em while waking up, eating breakfast.<br>Sets the 'morning mood'<br><br>My girls know Frank too (thankfully), and when we watched the Monkees episode with Frank...they asked me to play it several times!!!!<br><br>GREAT KIDS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:17 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=tv-film;num=1062217116;start=15#17 date=09/20/03 at 22:08:10]Ever check out the horn section and that smoking guitar solo on "Valleri"? [/quote]<br>Funny you mention the guitar in "Valerie"... I posted a question in the "Questions in the ZFT" thread recently about this song. I heard somewhere a very long time ago that "that smoking guitar solo" was in fact... guess who?...and I haven't been able to verify it. Can someone help me out?<br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:08 am 

Another mystery solved. Good job, jimmie.<br><br>It's interesting to see that it's 1 trumpet, 2 saxes and 1 trombone on that song. (Unless there were additional overdubs.) I'm always interested to know the orchestration. I like to pretend that someday I'll finish writing some horn stuff out and record it. I love the horns on the Stones albums, too. (Exile and Sticky).<br><br>Anyway...Guitar Player magazine did a story on Jerry McGee in the August 1977 issue. Since there were two guitarists on "Vallerie", I'm not sure which played what. The article states that "Jerry was responsible for the guitar on The Monkees' early records, and at least a dozen of the Ventures' releases." It later states he used a Stratocaster on the Monkees recordings. After reading further about him, I'm just guessing the other guy did the solo on "Valerie."