Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:37 am 

Anybody know anything more about this? Looks pretty interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... italbit-20

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 am 

I stand corrected. Looks good.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 am 

Just because it's manufactured on demand doesn't mean it's a bootleg. I have purchased other movies in this way from both Warner Brothers and MGM and they look and sound just fine.

Major studios do this for movies for which there is not enough demand to press a full run of silver discs. Check the movies listed further down the page. Not silver pressed discs but not bootlegs either.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:55 am 

Not so sure about that.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 am 

Well I do know what I'm talking about with regards to studios releasing MOD discs, it's been going on for years.

The disc has the artwork that all MGM MOD discs have and looks to be legit. If you have some other reason to believe it's not legit other than the fact you are unaware of how MOD discs are distributed then let me know.

Here's a disc from the Warner Brothers MOD system:

http://www.amazon.com/Danny-Kaye-Goldwy ... B00GJT1ZPU

Here's one from Universal:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Hill-Clau ... B00514JK4M

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:05 pm 

Jay has no idea about MOD. I just purchased this, and it even has copyright 1993 Bizarre Straight Records.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CW ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:56 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Jay has no idea about MOD. I just purchased this, and it even has copyright 1993 Bizarre Straight Records.

So, is it superior to the fairly recent "Tony Palmer" DVD version?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

So, is it superior to the fairly recent "Tony Palmer" DVD version?

I don't know about that KUIII. The item I purchased was Lowell George and The Factory - Lightning Rod Man. It was a Made On Demand item just like Cigars was referring to. I can't speak for this version of 200 Motels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 am 

Here's to it being in any way better than the Palmer version. :roll:

I know I'll be pre-ordering a copy for myself, and if it doesn't suck I'll post a topic about it. :mrgreen:
And if it does, well... :|

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:41 pm 

It is legit - like the other poster said, these MODs are official releases from the studios. I have a bunch myself. It is just that there is not enough demand for the item for a full scale pre-pressing. This is nice, because a lot of obscure films can see the official light of day now. Sometimes these MODs take off - I have the Bowery Boys collection from Warners, and the demand was so high, they went ahead and pre-pressed them now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am 

YES YES YES... i'll post some screenshots when i can.

But lemme just spoil one thing, it's GOOD NEWS! For a NTSC dvd, the film grain is intact :mrgreen:
Anybody who wants a decent complete copy of Motels, GET THE MGM-MOD DISC!

And despite what's been spouted, it could benefit from a Blu-ray. Not a lot, but it definitely looks more "filmic" than can be seen on a VHS/Laserdisc, or even that HDTV broadcast I have. There just needs to be a context disclaimer or something :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:50 am 

Alright, now that I've calmed down I can lay down some bullet (BSSSSH) points...

BOTH the MGM and Palmer DVDs are important to have.

Now before anyone starts assembling a mob and throwing things, let me explain why:

This new MGM MOD DVD is fantastic, the colour, grain, gamma and all that look so much better and more true to the source than any other release we have had to deal with yet.

But... and this is a 'but' that will only bother purists. This is the 1980's print of Motels (i.e. the slightly purple-tinted home video print), the one I like to think is the one being referenced in YAWYI.

There's only a couple of small differences, but they're woth going over:

First, the logo's are of course different, the MGM/80's UA logo as we've all gotten used to.
Secondly, the line "Ladies and Gentlemen!" is replaced by a repeat of the percussion following it, as you might've seen on Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Thirdly, the audio is in pseudo-stereo. Like the streams and broadcast, a lot of reverb to widen the musical sections, and I noted a few extras sounds here and there. An extra cello in the 'Centerville' sequence, and the occasional extra audience foley during the 'Makeup Booths' scene.

Now, these are in NO WAY deal breakers to my ears, just the product of a slightly more recent print. Which has been cleaned up by the looks of it.

You're probably wondering "Why did you say I should hold onto the Palmer disc as well?"
Well, this is for purists only: the Palmer DVD actually looks to be sourced from a battered, horribly disfigured copy of... the original 1971 theatre prints.

Why do I think that? Not only is it in absolutely poor shape, but the audio is actually the original mono, the video effects have a more 'burned-in' look you can see in the Pop2 interview clips (which were sourced from a 1971 print back when they were struck, which I should add had terrible contrast, but decent treble in the audio) and it also includes the missing line, no extra foley whatsoever.

So while Palmer is a lying bastard about having the 'original 2" VT mastertapes' he DOES seem to have used an original, albeit shitty, smeared, and 'worn down by the sands of time', 1971 theatre print.

So for us regular folks who wear tennis shoes, and just want to watch a fuckin' film! GET THE MOD-DVD WHILE IT'S AROUND

But for you completist Python Boot afficianados: GET THE MOD-DISC, and hold onto your Palmer DVDs to compare and contrast to your heart's content.

Which I have been doing myself... 8)

BEHOLD, the MGM SCREENSHOTS of TRUTH:

And, Mr. Palmer's Half Assed Effort for comparison:

Stay groovy and far fucking out my frank friends! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 pm 

WOW, some research, thanks! I, myself, wouldst prefer the MGM MOD - definitely better visual contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:25 pm 

Many, many thanks for taking the time to post, seems about as proper a release as it will ever be. Now I just need to get over my dvd-r phobia and order it.

How is the packaging, professional enough or is that cheaper, short-run print? Slipped into the standard dvd case?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:11 pm 

@ SirQuacky I can't remember the details but didn't someone post here that there is also a part of a scene missing from the Palmer version?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:51 am 

@polydigm Here ya go:

http://sotcaa.org/editnews/200-Motels-On-DVD.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:53 am 

Yeah, as the article says, pretty much all the missing bits on the Palmer disc are due to the print being so damaged at the four tails out, [I guess] he thought chopping them out would work better. And those two odd censor edits Palmer put in at the beginning. Very strange.

As I said though, completists might want to hold onto it as well as having the new MOD disc. Just for the sake of it being from a 1971 print.

Onto the new disc though, the menu is pretty basic. Just a copyright warning and a silent cover-like menu screen with 'Play Movie' and something like 'use the |<< and >>| buttons to run ten minutes through the film' at the bottom.

And while this is as bare bones as bare bones can get, at least the disc is burned to the limit! ALL 4.26 GBs dedicated to the film and those two menus. So you should expect a good feature, even for NTSC.

Here's two snaps of what mine looks like:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:09 am 

Thanks again. Must-have item.

ps do you have an explanation on the missing "Ladies and Gentlemen?" The orig had it and the later 80s print lost it? In error, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 am 

Indeed! On the line though, I have no idea. The '86 and '97 home video versions do have the line, so I guess that when MGM unveiled that print in 2010, there might've been some damage over the time since then, or possibly even a mixing mistake.
But honestly I have no idea why "Ladies and gentlemen!" is missing. I don't mind it myself, the rest of the print is so good you sorta forget about that line as you go along.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am 

not to be nit-picky, you are the expert here and enthusiastically share the knowledge in a way I appreciate...and so I point it out for that reason alone, 'cause I sense you wd want to get it 'right.'

But your orig., detailed post reads (to me, at least) that this is the 1980s print (that would have the L&G line), and then you mention the 2010 print of which it does not. So: this dvd edition is the 2010. Did I get that right? Hope I didn't confuse you. Thanks, I ordered it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:27 pm 

OH! I'm sorry, I meant the 2010 HD broadcast of the 1980's print. There were a few theatrical showings at the time too.

The '2010' print is nothing more than the '80's print we've all watched on video with that remixed pseudo-stereo audio and the bizarrely missing line. Hence why I assume that section was either damaged in the ensuing time since the 1980's, or just an accident. I refer to both as the '80's print though.

I should note as well the "He's Out of It!" scene in the motel room is slightly zoomed in compared to the Laserdisc, which at least to my mind would be an easier way of covering up a hair or some damage to the film.

I want to make it clear though that no matter how much I speculate the film's current state, it's in astoundingly good condition for a movie of it's technical and age issues. I just want to make sure every knows the small problems with it before they shell 20 bucks. It is worth it though :mrgreen:

Hehe, JosephC knows a whole lot more than me on Motels, it's humbling to be called an expert on something though x3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:47 pm 

Hmmm... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:07 pm 

I want my Zappa101 download! Or vinyl. Or something. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Brutally scathing is putting it mildly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:57 pm 

In case anyone wants a look, have a gander below and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Here's the "lovely" Aynsley Dumbar in a shot that shows the differences in the two prints well:

Bright green was not a friend of the original release :mrgreen: