Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:54 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Bogus, that film is hilarious. Not intentionally, but both genius and hilarious at the same time. A classic. 8)

Yeah, I suppose it's classified as a cult movie these days. Haven't seen it before, should be interesting. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:48 am 

I saw "Heaven's Gate" for the first time last night. Watched it right through (it was the long version). I can't say it was bad or good. Sort of indifferent. The critics say it is a masterpiece! I don't think so. I can understand how it bombed at the box office. It does sort of dirty up the myth of the far west.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:39 am 

Well, I finally forced myself to watch "Walk The Line" after persuading myself that it would be another Hollywood blockbuster heap of turd, and that I shouldn't watch it.
I have to say, I really rather liked it. Joaquin Phoenix did a great job playing Cash...and despite the fact that Reece Witherspoon drives me scatty, I thought the girl did good. All credit where it's due as well, they did a fine job with the vocals too. 8) I'm glad I watched it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:05 pm 

looks a good movie that aspy i wont too see that one.and the ray charles film.favorites cant beat a movie with a good soundtrack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:48 am 

cleon wrote:
looks a good movie that aspy i wont too see that one.and the ray charles film.favorites cant beat a movie with a good soundtrack.

It is cleon, I liked it anyway. I'm sure other Cash fans would agree. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:03 pm 

"Good Night, And Good Luck" - What a beautifully made film that is. Gorgeous. So good, I watched it twice last week. David Strathairn's lead brilliant, as is all the cast. Massive respect to George Clooney for at long last getting his baby born. The soundtrack wonderful, too. One word of warning: DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE IF YOU'RE TRYING TO QUIT SMOKING! Hahaha! I have never seen so many people smoking in one movie ... I had to keep having fagbreaks every 15 minutes, it looked so delicious! They could really make smoking look sexy, wholesome and essential in "those days"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:24 am 

Billy Wilder's film about the world's greatest sleuth. Plenty of humor and of course a well written script that took 10 years to complete.

*a bit of trivia....Robert Stephens who plays Sherlock Holmes in this film also did a BBC program of "The Lord of The Rings" in which he played the Role of Aragorn.

AND

Christopher Lee co-stars as "Mycroft" the brother of Sherlock would later go on to play Saruman in "The Lord of The Rings"Image

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 am 
Banned

Milton Bradley wrote:
Christopher Lee co-stars as "Mycroft" the brother of Sherlock would later go on to play Saruman in "The Lord of The Rings"

Grrr...you know, Christopher Lee had a career before Peter Jackson was even born. The live-action Lord of the Rings films feature one of Lee's worst performances. I'd prefer that he be thought of as being in better movies. :x

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:42 am 

Isaac wrote:
Grrr...you know, Christopher Lee had a career before Peter Jackson was even born. The live-action Lord of the Rings films feature one of Lee's worst performances. I'd prefer that he be thought of as being in better movies. :x

Isaac
Christopher Lee wasn't bad at all in LOTR, especially living up to his history of doing Hammer films and bad guy/horror stuff, he was a great Saruman. The problem was that in the telling of the story, a lot of Saruman's best parts were cut out to keep things moving.

His final stand at the tower steps was so cut up even in the extended edition it ruined how cool the character was.

http://www.perfectecho.com - it sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm 

Isaac wrote:

Christopher Lee had a career before most people were born. He's 84 years old now...

Christopher Lee, in the Guardian, May 29, 2003:

Quote:
But immediately after his talk, Lee is traveling back to New Zealand for pick-ups for Return of the King, the final instalment in Peter Jackson's epic triptych. "I cannot wait for Return of the King. It is the climax and people will get an overall picture of Middle Earth and of Tolkien. I want people to appreciate what has been achieved. Before Lord of the Rings, some people would have just classed Peter Jackson as a horror director. But there is a mind there. Somebody once asked me how I found Peter Jackson and I said: 'Well, I parted his hair and there he was'. Look what he has done. He persuaded New Line to invest in making three films at the same time. When I first read Lord of the Rings I wanted to see a film of it. But at that time the technology wasn't there, there was no such thing as CGI."

As it happens, Lee seems as eager to watch the final film as the fans. Either that, or he's playing coy about the details. "I am very excited about Return of the King. [I want] to see how they have done it. I have only seen a few short rushes of the film and I am still not sure how it ends. If I did, I still couldn't tell you. I have, however seen the schedule for Return of the King and it is hectic. The premiere is in Wellington then it is something like Berlin first, London the day after and then Copenhagen the day after that. "

But the event that Lee seems to have set his sights on is next year's Academy Awards. "They can't not give awards to The Return of the King," he insists, still smarting from the way the previous two films were passed over on Oscar night. "When there were no best picture or best director awards for The Fellowship, I thought it was a disgrace. The other [nominated films] were good movies but they did not even compare. You can't compare anything to these films. You cannot compare it with Star Wars or the Matrix, which I didn't understand a word of. There will never be anything like it again. I am very lucky to in this late stage of my career to have worked with Tim Burton, Peter Jackson, George Lucas. I love to work and to be able to still be working is wonderful, after all how many roles are there for 81 year olds. It has been hard work but definitely worth it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:07 pm 
Banned

I saw Auto Focus last nite. I wasn't entirely happy with some of the editing, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. 8)

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:55 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
Christopher Lee co-stars as "Mycroft" the brother of Sherlock would later go on to play Saruman in "The Lord of The Rings"

Isaac

I am no a way a fan of the LOTR books...not realy into elvs and hobbits. I thought the cartoons in the 70's were cool when I was 8 or 10 but really no lasting effect on me. I have however been a PJ fan for 15 years now .Ever since Bad Taste came out I have always loved his movies (MOST of his movies). So when I heard he was doin LOTR I felt it was gonna be killer, was blown away after I saw the first instalment, and couldnt wait to see the other 2. I never did read any of the books or follwed it, sooo Im lacking all the details that were left out of the movies. Being a PJ fan IMO I feel it was just a very well made movie bar none, the acting, the enviorment's, effects, just the over all detail's w\ in the movies themselfs' were great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:30 pm 

Saw Terror In A Texas Town on tv last night, a B-western starring Sterling Hayden. I must say I love a lot of these b/w B-westerns from the 50's. Sometimes they are great art. This one wasn't bad at all.

I think Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea were one of the best actors in the B-genre till they met in the glorious Ride The High Country. This movie made them deathless. 8)

Last edited by My_Name_Is_Fritz on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:02 pm 

"The African Queen," with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn.

I really liked it, but the ending was OK for me. It's a classic, though! I should watch more movies from the 50's. There's more sincerity to 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:13 pm 

I watched "Stoned" tonight, the story of Brian Jones...and I have to say, in my humble opinion as a Stones fan for many years, it was a bit poo overall. The authenticity of the film was spot on, and Leo Gregory, who played Brian Jones, played a really good part, but I didn't like it. It was a really poor film in my opinion. Slightly entertaining at the beginning, but I found myself wondering when it was going to end to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:00 am 

''I'm so rone-ry!''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:06 am 

timm0 wrote:

''I'm so rone-ry!''

Funny film that, I laughed for days after that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:34 am 

Fine movie about a difficult subject. Eric Bana is great in the "lead" (quotations mark as it is really an ensemble film).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:47 am 

Just saw Clerks II yesterday. Eh. First hour floudered for a while, then it found it's plot and moved foreward. Decent story, but doesn't have the same impact of the first one...if you like Kevin Smith, check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:54 am 

i hought clerks II was going to be awful but i got a good share of laughs out of it. My girlfriend is a big Kevin Smith fan and she thought it was pretty good as well. defintly better than some of his later movies but still doesnt match dogma or mallrats or the best... clerks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:17 am 
Banned

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
timm0 wrote:

''I'm so rone-ry!''

Funny film that, I laughed for days after that one.

I hated that movie. I found it to be extremely clumsy and unfunny. There is a clear sense of stupidity in mocking politically affiliated celebrities when you yourself know less about politics than the celebrities you mock. It was clear after watching that film that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are morons in the truest sense. I refuse to give these hacks another chance. Their work continues to suck more each and every year. "Team America" is like watching a retarded kid repeatedly run into a wall. It's not funny...just sad.

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:48 am 

Isaac wrote:

There is a clear sense of stupidity in mocking politically affiliated celebrities when you yourself know less about politics than the celebrities you mock.
Isaac

Do elaborate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:21 pm 
Banned

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Do elaborate...

The film mocks celebrities for speaking out on political issues. My feeling is that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Matt Stone and Trey Parker know even less about politics than the celebrities they mock in their film.

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:39 pm 

Isaac wrote:
"Team America" is like watching a retarded kid repeatedly run into a wall.

are you recovering ok ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next