Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1027 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:10 am 

How can you go wrong with a KUB classic like FMJ!!!! "I am in a world of shit," is dee classic and most-qouted line for dee flic. As well, its dee first KUB flic to be released on dee all new HD-DVD format. Get your walking boots ready folks!!!

Kudo's Kub & FZ (R.I.P.)... arf!

Last edited by Gio. Shanger on Wed May 24, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:22 am 

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robin Williams is BRILLIANT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:52 am 
Banned

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:45 pm 

and

not exactly cheery but def worth it if you need proof that we only hear what they want us to hear :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:50 pm 
Banned

Gio. Shanger wrote:
How can you go wrong with a KUB classic like FMJ!!!! "I am in a world of shit," is dee classic and most-qouted line for dee flic. As well, its dee first KUB flic to be released on dee all new HD-DVD format.

I'll leave my negative comments towards that format. But what I dislike more than the HD-DVD format is the fact that Warners used the butchered aspect ratio version of that film. In this case, this "widescreen" disc is for suckers. The fullscreen version is the original, intended version. I can't believe those assholes would butcher Kubrick's work like this. :evil:

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:04 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Gio. Shanger wrote:
How can you go wrong with a KUB classic like FMJ!!!! "I am in a world of shit," is dee classic and most-qouted line for dee flic. As well, its dee first KUB flic to be released on dee all new HD-DVD format.

I'll leave my negative comments towards that format. But what I dislike more than the HD-DVD format is the fact that Warners used the butchered aspect ratio version of that film. In this case, this "widescreen" disc is for suckers. The fullscreen version is the original, intended version. I can't believe those assholes would butcher Kubrick's work like this. :evil:

Haha Isaac, I love it when you say you aren't going to do something then do it anyway. Oh I see, you left yourself an out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:03 pm 

I saw 'The Bicycle Theif', which was beautiful. I'm going to watch Fellini's Satyricon tonight.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:07 pm 

Well after dee fiasco of transfering his super-widescreened "2001" to TV format.... (Cinerama = 2.7-ish:1 - and - TV - 1.33:1) ... you see dee headaches invovled.... so from Clockwork Orange until Eyes Wide Shut he simplified things and just used a 1.65:1 aspect ratio..... HD-TV is a 16:9 aspect ratio (or 1.77:1).... OK?

Maybe that clears up your widescreen problem?

Gio. (dee world's only archival filmmaker)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:21 am 
Banned

Gio. Shanger wrote:

No, 1.37 is the intended screen format.

calvin2hikers wrote:
Haha Isaac, I love it when you say you aren't going to do something then do it anyway. Oh I see, you left yourself an out there.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:01 pm 
Banned

Totally awesome! 8)

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:13 pm 

gone in 60 seconds
the cable guy
o brother where art thou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:37 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Gio. Shanger wrote:

No, 1.37 is the intended screen format.

Stop teasing each other! This is a way too serious subject for that. Anybody has some links to info about all this? (Both about HD_DVD and the corect Kubrick format? On that, I also thought like Isaac that the WS format 1.66:1 is too wide; at least according to the opening text on my "Eyes Wide Shut" DVD).

Comlaining about wrong showings on films on TV were one of my "crusades" years ago, where TV would routinely air Cinemascope films in 1.33:1 format, and where the image were "telescanned." I.e., to avoid showing two talking noses, the film was mutilated by panning from side to side within a still 2,33:1 image. Ughhh. When arguing that a Letterbox showing would be to preferred (at least you then saw 100 percent of the intented image), one just got arrogant answers from the stations saying that viewers would complain about such showings, because they thought that the black lines in the top and bottom of their screens actually meant that they were losing some of the image. Nowadays, however, Letterbox format seems to be the norm, and it is luckily long time since I have seen a telescanned Cinemascope showing on TV.

EDIT: I have looked on the net, and found a quote that sum up the things I found, and put in in the Kubrick thread:
http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7755&start=78

It seems to me that both Isaac and Gio. Shanger are right. Kubrick definitely wanted most of his films to be shown in 1.37:1 on TV (except 2001 and Spartacus). During actual filming and editing, however, he was aware that they in theaters would be shown in 1.66:1 or even 1.85:1. So was his compositions from the begining really intended for 1.37:1, which could never be a reality in theaters? That does not semm very likely. Maybe his later insistence on 1,37:1 for TV releases was emerging from dissatisfaction with poor theater showings (where framings often sucks)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 pm 
Banned

Dubbed, but still great! 8)

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:42 am 

Saw a fantastic trilogy the other day....anyone seen it? Its called "the lord of the rings" and its fabulous! The director must be some sort of genius! Im definately goin to check out his other movies, like King Kong...I heard thats awesome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:48 am 
Banned

Dr. Mongoloid wrote:
Saw a fantastic trilogy the other day....anyone seen it? Its called "the lord of the rings" and its fabulous! The director must be some sort of genius! Im definately goin to check out his other movies, like King Kong...I heard thats awesome too!

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Wed May 31, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: KUBRICK's Aspect Ratio's
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:48 pm 

HJ wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me that both Isaac and Gio. Shanger are right. Kubrick definitely wanted most of his films to be shown in 1.37:1 on TV (except 2001 and Spartacus). During actual filming and editing, however, he was aware that they in theaters would be shown in 1.66:1 or even 1.85:1. So was his compositions from the begining really intended for 1.37:1, which could never be a reality in theaters? That does not semm very likely. Maybe his later insistence on 1,37:1 for TV releases was emerging from dissatisfaction with poor theater showings (where framings often sucks)?

Kubrick was so insame about everyone seeing all dee image.... He knew some day there would be a wider screen format like HD-TV (16:9) so that his films would be shown FULL SCREEN (1.65:1).... He would never settle for these films being shown in 1.37:1... but knew they would be... don't know why he would ever agree to a video/DVD released at 1.37:1, but he did..... dee telescanning (ie. Tele panning & tiltiing) in the film-to-video transfer really sucks, but he was forced to do it contractually for 2001 by MGM.

I could go on but, maybe, I'll check out dee Kubrick thread on dee randamonium thread? OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 pm 

da vinci code was really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:31 am 

It might of been better but Tom Hanks hairstyle was too distracting.

Post subject: Troy Duffy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:00 am 

The Boondock Saints with the commentary by Troy Duffy turned on. Great story, great cast, great first time writer and director. Best commentary I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:54 am 

Try ignore all debates about Peter Jackson, LOTR and KK for a while: This one is really good imo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm 

Well, The Boondock Saints (1999), eh!!!

Last November, I had dee pleasure of doing sound on a really crappy Sean Patrick Flanery film entitled Savage Planet (scientists get tele-ported to a distant planet, only to find that its controlled by mutant BEARS)... ANYWAY, spent 4 weeks with Sean, and he is a real down to earth guy, had many a laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:58 pm 

Hey, Isaac - I actually watched a film that was made in the 21st century last week: "Crash". What a great film that was - loads of individual storylines, and most of them turning all the preconceptions you had at the beginning upside-down. I never really went for Matt Dillon, but he is excellent in this - and Don Cheadle is as superb as ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:44 pm 

flatty--quite agree! movie justtore me up and yet in some cases left you with hope. yes, don is one of the best actors around. he's been around for quite some time, but always does a bang-up job. i can't remember another gent's name (his wife is dealt in a not nice way in front of him by m. dillion), but he was also in hustle and flow, a great movie in which he plays a completely different character. i have'nt rented for awhile, time to get out there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1027 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next