Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:24 am 

Has anyone got that Zappa / P. Floyd show...by hook or crook?

I've seen some expensive shit that promises that exact set.....but I have not the cash to waste on a probable rip-off. BUT I have seen it being bought at extreme price for one disc and wondered if anyone had heard it.

I know it's been discussed here before,.....but now I see what's "supposed" to be a recording of this very show for sale. So,that's why I ask. Is this the real recording? Is it evident that it is FZ and Floyd,or is it just a boot of unknown origin with a picture of the Floyd with Frank?

BTW,why doesn't the FZ Family buy it and make cheap-o beat the boots of stuff like this? We'd hear it,and they'd profit.

We need more beat the boots stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:04 pm 

penguini wrote:
Has anyone got that Zappa / P. Floyd show...by hook or crook?

I've seen some expensive shit that promises that exact set.....but I have not the cash to waste on a probable rip-off. BUT I have seen it being bought at extreme price for one disc and wondered if anyone had heard it.

I know it's been discussed here before,.....but now I see what's "supposed" to be a recording of this very show for sale. So,that's why I ask. Is this the real recording? Is it evident that it is FZ and Floyd,or is it just a boot of unknown origin with a picture of the Floyd with Frank?

BTW,why doesn't the FZ Family buy it and make cheap-o beat the boots of stuff like this? We'd hear it,and they'd profit.

We need more beat the boots stuff.

Strange thing is, according to Frank, it never happened(him playing w\ the Floyd).

Last edited by wheatgurm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:05 pm 

Don't pay for this stuff, get it for free through downloading or trading. A _real_ copy of this has surfaced early this year, it's definitely the real thing and pretty interesting. The sound's not too great, but listenable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:28 pm 
Banned

wheatgurm wrote:
Strange thing is, according to Frank, it never happened(him playing w\ the Floyd).

That's because it never happened.

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:34 pm 

Yes, I have heard the Floyd and Zappa concert. What is interesting is that Roger Waters and a roadie? are having a conversation that has leaked over the PA. Zappa is playing a Telecaster.

I do not recall a recording being availiable until this year, having thought and searched for it for years.

Its true that FZ was on the record saying this encounter didn't happen, so proving my point to HJ from Europe that Zappa was a big fibber when he wanted to be, my point being that FZ and Jan Akkerman have met.

There is a Film of this concert too. Ask anyone about Jerome.

Why should gail buy release this recording??? probably because Pink Floyd will object.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:45 pm 

What year is the show from? I've heard the show existed, but even in the many Floyd books I've read, I've need seen a mention of the show (unless my memory is shit, which it very well may be).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:48 pm 

Bozzio's Whips wrote:
What year is the show from? I've heard the show existed, but even in the many Floyd books I've read, I've need seen a mention of the show (unless my memory is shit, which it very well may be).

I've read a book (Barry Miles, could it be?) - which mentioned a super-8 video of this...

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Yes, I have heard the Floyd and Zappa concert. What is interesting is that Roger Waters and a roadie? are having a conversation that has leaked over the PA. Zappa is playing a Telecaster.

I do not recall a recording being availiable until this year, having thought and searched for it for years.

Its true that FZ was on the record saying this encounter didn't happen, so proving my point to HJ from Europe that Zappa was a big fibber when he wanted to be, my point being that FZ and Jan Akkerman have met.

There is a Film of this concert too. Ask anyone about Jerome.

Why should gail buy release this recording??? probably because Pink Floyd will object.

Yeah,you're right Waters would probably barr it's release.

But I have seen the pictures,and they aren't some computer fixed thing.Frank Zappa is standing to the left of the Floyd band on stage at a Jazz Actual concert in 1970 in France and he's playing his guitar. I just wondered if it was at all worth hearing,....it still sounds like something I'd like to hear for free,but not pay a ton for.

Thanks for all the info.

Too bad it couldn't be semi-official someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:51 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I've read a book (Barry Miles, could it be?) - which mentioned a super-8 video of this...

Doesn't suprise me. I haven't actually read a Floyd book in at lest four years, so my memory is a little dodgy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:53 pm 

Live Concert Festival Actuel,Amougies(Belgium) Day Two25th October 1969

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:53 pm 

wheatgurm wrote:

Isaac wrote:

yes, Isaac, it happened.

FZ: I was supposed to be MC for the first big rock festival in France, at a time when the French government was very right-wing, and they didn't want to have large-scale rock and roll in the country. And so at the last minute, this festival was moved from France to Belgium, right across the border, into a turnip field. They constructed a tent, which was held up by these enormous girders. They had 15,000 people in a big circus tent. This was in November, I think. The weather was really not very nice. It's cold, and it's damp, and it was in the middle of a turnip field. I mean mondo turnips. And all the acts, and all the people who wished to see these acts, were urged to find this location in the turnip field, and show up for this festival. And they'd hired me to be the MC and also to bring over Captain Beefheart. It was has first appearance over there. And it was a night-mare, because nobody could speak English, and I couldn't speak French, or anything else for that matter. So my function was really rather limited. I felt a little bit like Linda McCartney. I'd stand there and go wave, wave, wave. I sat in with a few of the groups during the three days of the festival. But it was so miserable because all these European hippies had brought their sleeping bags, and they had the bags laid out on the ground in this tent, and they basically froze and slept through the entire festival, which went on 24 hours a day, around the clock. One of the highlights of the event was the Art Ensemble Of Chicago, which went on at 5:00 A.M. to an audience of slumbering Euro-hippies. (FZ, 1992).

And, Neil Slaven, the author of 'Electric Don Quixote' was there, at the festival. From his book: "In the course of the weekend, he [FZ] acted as MC and stood up with a surprising mixture of bands, with Archie Shepp, Retaliation, Pink Floyd, Caravan, Black Cat Bones as well as the Magc Band." This snippet is followed by a bit of dialog between FZ and Neil Slaven, in which they talk about the miserable circumstances around the festival.
If you read more about that festival, you'll understand that it's no wonder that Zappa didn't exactly want to remember who he jammed with, much less even being there in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:36 am 

Nick Mason of the Pink Floyd has gone on record as saying Frank played with the Floyd that day and went on to say that what Frank played was "terribly correct"....meaning Frank fit in with what they were doing very well indeed....he also implied not many others could have done so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:16 am 

Isaac wrote:
Sure Isaac... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-LP-PINK-FLOYD-meets-FRANK-ZAPPA-1969-Belgium_W0QQitemZ260018196641QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1593QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are also, like four others.
Course you could check Zappateers too.
I'm pretty sure they have it as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:08 am 

Isaac wrote:
wheatgurm wrote:
Isaac

It happened. It was a turnip field in Belgium, but it happened...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:54 pm 

I finally "found" a copy of this and heard it!

Yes,Isaac,it DID happen,....and crappy as this recording sounds,it is Frank adding some obviously FZ guitar to a 21 minute version of "Interstellar Overdrive". It's all not too amazing,...but it is there to hear. Plus Frank does fit in very well too,like Nick Mason said.

I HAD to hear it,...and I found a nicer-priced way to get this.So now I can say I know what Frank would do if he played with The Floyd in 1969 in a miserable Turnip Field! Ha! He'd sit back and tastefully place 3 little solos in this giant space rock masterpiece,essentially adding some R&B sounds to a galactic travel-log! It's fun,....but not essential(as far as I'm concerned).

Like I said the sound is there ,but it's pretty crunchy and distorto(mono). Just good enought to hear...that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am 

I've heard it before as well. While there might be some minor dispute about dates and times, I have absolutely no doubt after hearing it that FZ is in fact playing with Floyd on Interstellar Overdrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:27 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:53 pm 

I am indebted to slime.oofytv.set for his above post. I would love to know if there is more info in BEST/17 about the Zappa Special Noel Amougies 1969, especially photographs.

The cover has FZ playing what looks like a Gibson Firebird, and it looks like a late 1963 early 1964 model with the headstock pointing the other way. If this is the case then this is the first time I have encountered this.

Apologies to anyone who is not interested in the minutiae of guitars.

I would love to see more photos of this guitar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:05 pm 

The Amougies Tape...

Bummer: From: Charles Ulrich (ulrich[at]sfu.ca)
There is a tape in circulation that is wrongly identified as being Pink
Floyd with FZ at Amougies. This tape consists of Interstellar Overdrive,
introduced as something they'd been playing since they were teenagers.
But it doesn't feature FZ and it's not from Amougies. I believe it's
actually from 5/1/70 Santa Monica. I don't know if the item Johan refers
to above is legitimate, or if it's the same mislabeled tape resurfacing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:58 pm 

Mislabelled tape??

The version I have has Roger Waters talking to a roadie leaking out over the PA, and I think I can hear FZ on guitar..is this the same as your Santa Monica? Are you saying that FZ may have played with PF in the US?

The only thing that will clear this up is the film Footage by Monsieur Jerome Lapperrousaz, which was shown in Montreal and Paris at the Cinema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:01 pm 

NO, sorry. That seems to be a mislabelled tape. FZ didn't play w/ PF at Santa Monica. But check back in the future, for I might fix the real thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 pm 

Ok, here is the real deal. You will need a FLAC plug-in to be able to enjoy it.

Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa, Interstellar Overdrive Jam

http://rapidshare.de/files/35516235/2_Pink_Floyd_25_Oct_69.flac.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm 

Yep, people, go ahead, download it, it is the real deal. No need to thanks ol' Greeny 8) ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:21 pm 
Banned

There is no THE in Pink Floyd.

It is PINK FLOYD.

Not THE Pink Floyd.